Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Favorite kar flick?

Old 01-09-2004, 11:04 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
in honor of the new off-topic auto forum

what is your favorite kar movie/flick?

there are so many, (and maybe i'll find one or two in this thread that i've never seen)
but i really like:

Old 01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
*STAR* <-- BMW films

Old 01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oooo, good question. gonna have to think about this. fav car chase scene is the one in Ronin.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:08 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the 1980 Kurt Russell classic Used Cars? Nothing like a corpse in an Edsel crashing into a power transformer.

I'm also a big fan of the second Cannonball Run. :smile:

Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the Original (70's version) "Gone in 60 Seconds" has an awesome kar chase scene that lasts half the movie

Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
For car chases...The Blues Brothers, with the added bonus of some way cool music.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
2 Fast 2 Furious, not

actually I quite like Blues Brothers, just for the absurd ending chase :smile:
otherwise, The Duel.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is a little different, but I still like Grand Prix (1966) w/ James Garner.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
S.Kings, Christine.....the best.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:29 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
From the USA - Vanishing Point
From Europe - Ronin
From Japan - Speed Racer

Old 01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Here's one from the past... "Vanishing Point"
and........
an obvious one from the present...."The italian Job" :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blues Brothers for sheer absurdity and quantity (and the best assemblage of blues and R&B in one movie IMO). Bullitt for raw action appeal. Vanishing Point for it's feeling of hopelessness. Italian Job for the MINIs (natch).

Old 01-09-2004, 11:57 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two Lane Blacktop.

--
Cheese

Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
>>Two Lane Blacktop.
>>
With Singer James Taylor as the driver...Damn this traffic jam....

Old 01-09-2004, 12:03 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
Blues Brothers with the police cars that just keep coming!...and Henry Gibson falling in the Pinto wagon from 35,000 feet!

don't forget Bullitt with the coolest mini owner ever...Steve McQueen!

Old 01-09-2004, 12:08 PM
countrym
6th Gear
How about a vote for Dazed and Confused? Check out this link with info about all of the characters' rides: GTO Judge, Chevelle SS, V-8 Duster, etc.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:15 PM
countrym
6th Gear
How about Crash?

Old 01-09-2004, 12:32 PM
robby
2nd Gear
I'm with ZAK on the vote for Bullit but I also liked the Garner film, Grand Prix. Good driving in both. There is, however, a great chace scene in The French Connection...even though the movie doesn't focus on the cars and drivers.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:46 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Bullitt.

Also Ronin, but The Bourne Identity had a good car chase scene involving a beat up old Mini, I think.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:55 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
The Bourne Identity was a great movie! hmmm Blockbuster again tonight?

Old 01-09-2004, 01:03 PM
twstlvr
3rd Gear

One of the "Ten Best Car Movies we've ever seen." - Car and Driver

With the explosion of in-car and on-board commercial releases in the market, my first in-car movie is still my favorite. Maybe because Rendezvous was so innovative and outrageous for its time, but few in-car movies can capture the excitement of this one, because its so real and un-staged. This low-budget movie has more per-minute excitement and drama than movies that cost millions of dollars and months to produce. Claude Lelouch combines suspense, fear, power, and drama into the real world streets of pre-dawn Paris and brings us along for the ride.

I first saw Rendezvous while at a movie theater on a full screen. The opening scene setting the mood and intensity for the movie: "the film you are about to see was produced without photographic tricks nor changes in camera speed."

You come out of a tunnel, up an entrance ramp, tires start squealing and the adventure begins. The movie is a grainy, dark, low-budget film using a camera mounted up front and low, on a 12-cylinder Ferrari running flat out on the streets of Paris. Claude Lelouch’s ground-breaking, innovative, dialog-free short movie still has me grasping for something to hold onto whenever I watch it. Red lights (somebody once counted 32), garbage trucks, pedestrians, pigeons, and oncoming traffic all play into the scenery and excitement of the mystery drive. The suspense plays out and we’re never quite sure what is happening, other than the car, which turns out to be a Ferrari 275 GTB, is moving very fast and expertly through the narrow cobblestone streets. As simple as it may be, the movie does have a plot, one that is not clear until the closing scene.

Added to the visual stimulus of a full-throttle sprint through narrow old-world streets is the auditory imprint of the exhaust ricocheting off the buildings on the side of the street. Without the sound, the movie would fall flat and uninteresting. There are no Hollywood stunts, no camera tricks, and nothing to distract you from the ride. Rumor is that Lelouch did the driving but I’ve also heard that he hired a professional driver. It’s obvious that the driver knows the area as he expertly navigates the inner roadways at speed and avoids obstacles effortlessly. One source says the driver was arrested after the drive, but unfortunately, unless an insider comes forward, a lot of the history of the background of this movie is lost in time.

Last year, one of the automotive magazines did a feature on the best car movies of all time and one of them was Rendezvous. On the magazine's recommendation, I ordered the movie for a whopping $49.95! An outrageous sum of money to pay for a 9 minute film, but the excitement and intensity of the movie is worth every penny. As it turns out, I figure it is still a small price to pay for a movie I’ve watched as many times as I have. While searching for Rendezvous on VHS, I stumbled upon an entire new genre of films known amongst the automotive and biker subculture: the in-car or on-board movies, produced entirely by motorsport enthusiasts. These movies include the 3 Getaway in Stockholm movies, Ghost Rider, and to a lesser extent Michief 3000, a loose documentary based the newly revised Gumball Rally cross-country race and a countless number of unnamed movie clips produced and filmed by motorsport enthusiasts. Its probably safe to say that Rendezvous is the inspiration for all of these movies.

Many people don’t understand the genre and that’s fine, the films are not for everybody. My wife, for example, cannot stand any of the in-car movies. Even though they are short, she refuses to watch anything more than a few seconds. Whereas every time my brother-in-law comes over to my house, he pops in Rendezvous and provides a running commentary of the action: “Okay… second gear… third… fourth… downshifting to second, now back to third… listen to the tires on this corner…” When he’s done, he’s got the biggest smile on his face as if he just came back from a ride. The successful in-car or on-board movie will take you away, if even for a second or two and place you in the seat with the driver. In this instance, Rendezvous succeeds.

LaRouche’s masterpiece, unfortunately, is known only amongst the automotive subculture. Its steep price tag pushes many to obtain illegal copies, which forever clouds the true popularity of the film. Watching the movie in a theatre is unbelievable, on a television screen is exciting, but a small computer screen never captures the true excitement of the full screen version. Luckily for everybody, the movie has been digitally enhanced, remastered and released on DVD. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of this gem for your automotive library.

Check out this sample movie

http://www.autoxcam.com/rendezvous.mov

Old 01-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Exposed
2nd Gear
Bullitt! Its real, no digital/special FX's work done. The best!

Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
rfibanez
Banned
The chase scenes in Bullit where cool but the rest of the movie was a little boring...did you know Steve McQueen did all the driving in those scenes? Gotta love the Mustang vs Charger chase through Frisco

I really liked the original and new Italian Job. The Transporter had a great chase scene. Yeah I know F&F was cheesy but I liked it a lot better then 2F2F

Old 01-09-2004, 01:44 PM
rafthos
3rd Gear
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
Early to mid 70's car chase movie.

Smokey and the Bandit

Gum Ball Rally
The movie that made me fall in love with the AC Cobra.

original Canonball Run

gotta second the Mad Max and add The Road Warrior

Old 01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Corvette Summer

Quick Reply: Favorite kar flick?