Calling all fast Bay Area MINIs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all fast Bay Area MINIs!

So you think you're fast?? Sad Arthur is getting way too full of himself and needs to be taken down a peg or two.

This is not a race. There will be no lap timing. However, we will be playing hare and hounds in the Advanced Run Group and we will all be voting for FMOTD (fastest MINI of the day) when it's over.

The MINI driver with the most votes gets bragging rights and the right to wear the special FMOTD Thunderhill cap until someone else is voted FMOTD at a future event.

So bring your MCA or your modded up 600 HP roadblaster to Thunderhill and play. It ain't so much what's under the hood, it's what happens when the green flag comes out. October is perfect weather, and who knows, YOU may be the one to humble SADRTHR (though I doubt it).

PS: Safety ***** can stay home, this will be way over the top for you. Totally irresponsible. No roll cage, onboard fire equipment, window net, 5 point harness, Nomex underwear or 40 mph parade lap speed limit. Just a Snell approved helmet SA95 or later and your courage. Old school.

Sad Arthur is a factory stock 2005 JCW MCS with LSD, JCW wing, suspension and brakes and JCMS front air ducts. I've removed the back seat and added braided steel brake lines and Randy Webb's adjustable rear sway bar. SADRTHR wears safety cone orange Kosei K1 track shoes and a set of Yokohama Advan 048 medium compound 215/45/17 DOT competition tires. This is most likely the view you'll see:

Last edited by Siddhartha; 12-01-2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: HOD sux
Old 09-13-2006, 04:07 PM
katmeho
4th Gear
Or this.

I only need one day. See you on Friday...

Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Hrmmmm. Arm out, fist up in surrender . . . yes, I can deal with that!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Or This:

That's you in the (ahem) background, turning in a little late for Turn 10.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Sid,
matt can tell you that if I were there, it would have been no competition. To bad you missed our great show at the BIG MINI day racing a EvoVIII comp car. All the MINI people loved it to think that a stock MCS with a good driver could keep up with that car, now Matt can also tell you that I am not a bragger at all but I would like to go head to head with you to really see where you stand against a pro driver. Let me know we will do it sometime. I most lilkley will be at Sears in Oct. if you want to join.
Thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Matt as in DROBNXS? He knows his stuff, but he ain't fast.

I was instructing at BMD and don't remember an EVO on track, sorry.

Cars don't matter, it's the carbon unit that counts. I've passed plenty of poorly driven Corvettes, STis, EVOs and all kinds of Porsches, but if they are well driven, then the foo is on the other shut. That's why I'd like to see more MINIs take up the gauntlet and come play. The playing field is more level.

I'll be at Infineon October 6th with Trackmasters and again Nov. 4,5 with BMWCCA. If you can catch me and pass me, good on ya! Come on down.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
katmeho
4th Gear
Matt is me

You are both fast, but I think racin has an unfair advantage, given his background...

I will pass you both...someday...until then I will simply steal your secrets and use them to scare my passengers...

there was a evo at BMD. He was very stealth amongst the MINI heard..

Old 09-15-2006, 01:39 PM
2006mcsasteve
2nd Gear
What is a good track time at Thunderhill in a Mini? I probably can't compete with you big boys, but had a 2:18 on Wednesday there with the GGLC.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
That's pretty good! Wyncha come try for the FMOTD cap?? No toonz allowed though. :-)

Old 09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by katmeho
Matt is me

You are both fast, but I think racin has an unfair advantage, given his background...
What's unfair about an advantage?? Ba-ring it!

Old 09-16-2006, 02:23 PM
katmeho
4th Gear
This may be shaping up nicely for MINI's I hope people come...

Old 09-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
If not to participate, at least to watch me humbled by Speed Racer!

Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Hi Siddhartha
It's Checkers you know the one with the mud & snow tires. I can't make it on Friday but I'm in on Saturday. I'm not sure if i'm ready for the track in an advanced group but someday.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:55 PM
katmeho
4th Gear
welcome checkers. Keep hanging with this crew at trackdays and youll be running in C in no time...Looks like your car is well sorted out cept for the snow tires...

Old 09-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by checkers
Hi Siddhartha
It's Checkers you know the one with the mud & snow tires. I can't make it on Friday but I'm in on Saturday. I'm not sure if i'm ready for the track in an advanced group but someday.
No worries, mate. I'll be instructing on Saturday so if you want, you can just request that I be your coach. My goal is to teach all you guys to be fast so it will be more interesting for MINIs on the track.

Cheers,
Jerry

Last edited by Siddhartha; 12-01-2006 at 11:12 AM. Reason: HOD sux
Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Well guys,
I was supposed to be out on the track on Oct 6&7 but unfortunatley moeny had to go to other places so now I wont be there. I hate it when things cost money! Racing shoudl be free, I mean common Infineon can support themselves with 8.1 billion in sales last year. Anyways when money is not tight and I can make it due to non racing events then I will be there. Feel free to email me if you guys want. Sid I would love to help in anyway that I can with instructing if you gusy need help. And yes the Dr. Matt knows his stuff but I think that Matt (katmeho) can drive and we will try to have some fun out there with you guys.
Thanks

Robb

Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
I'm thinking I may stay over Saturday the 7th and help Bob (CanyonMINI) run the USTCC race with his new racecar.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:50 PM
katmeho
4th Gear
I may be up for crew work...may try to help Team Andres with the 25 Hr gig in Dec too...

Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Whoa, what is this?? 391 hits and only 5 posts? Where are the rest of you guys/gals?

How can you say you're fast if you don't bring it to the track?

What's the use of all those mods if you don't use them?

C'mon, we don't bite.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:49 AM
canyon mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Siddhartha
I'm thinking I may stay over Saturday the 7th and help Bob (CanyonMINI) run the USTCC race with his new racecar.
I'm looking forward to meet you Siddhartha! I'm leaving So. Cal. at 4 a.m. on Friday, to try to join you for some practice in the afternoon. If they won't let me drive the race car Friday, maybe you could give me a track tour in Sad Aurthur & show me your line? It's been about 10 year since I last raced Sears & could use a little track refresher before the race.
Thanks, Bob

Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 AM
digby
1st Gear
This sounds interesting.

What are typical speeds @ thunderhill in a mini cooper. I have wanted to do a track day for a LONG time now, but never seem to get around to it. I have a dead stock 05 S with worn out kumho v710's from auto-x, what other mods are needed to safely attend a track day? Better brake pads/fluid? Or will a stock cooper s take it in stride for 5 track sessions.

Luckily I hav my 30k service the weekend before so new pads and discs for me.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 AM
katmeho
4th Gear
Stock is more than fine for HPDE's. You wont want to run worn out tires, but with new pads, you are in fine shape.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by digby
This sounds interesting.

What are typical speeds @ thunderhill in a mini cooper. I have wanted to do a track day for a LONG time now, but never seem to get around to it. I have a dead stock 05 S with worn out kumho v710's from auto-x, what other mods are needed to safely attend a track day? Better brake pads/fluid? Or will a stock cooper s take it in stride for 5 track sessions.

Luckily I hav my 30k service the weekend before so new pads and discs for me.

Speeds range from around 30 mph going into Turn 11 to around 110 at the end of the front straight. If you have some tread left on your Kumhos, might as well finish them off at the track. If you have no tread, best get some new tires as the treadless ones likely won't pass tech. We'd love to see your S at Thunderhill. C'mon down!

Last edited by Siddhartha; 12-01-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: HOD sux
Old 10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by canyon mini
If they won't let me drive the race car Friday, maybe you could give me a track tour in Sad Aurthur & show me your line? It's been about 10 year since I last raced Sears & could use a little track refresher before the race.
Thanks, Bob
Funny, I was just thinking about volunteering for this! I've done 8 days at Sears this year, 6 of which were with the Jim Russell Racing School under heavy instruction. The line for the MINI is a little different than for the rear drive formula cars, but the end result is the same. I'll be on the last remnants of my Yoko Advan 048's so we should be able to get SA up on his toes and moving around pretty good.

Get off the 5 at 580 toward SF, take the 680 north at Dublin toward Sacramento. After crossing the bridge over the Sacramento River, bear left at the toll booth for 780 toward Vallejo. Take I-80 north for 3 miles and take the exit for 37 toward Marine World. Go west on 37 until it intersects 121 and there you are. It should take you around 6 hours with a toad. Give me a call when you arrive.

Cheers,
Jerry

Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to come to a track day but it is not in the budget. But one day you will all be seeing Angel's tail end(of course I will be passing out photos of her tail for you to put in your windows so that you can see it.)

Quick Reply: Calling all fast Bay Area MINIs!