Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Pics of install with fiberglass enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 04:15 PM
DMCGIRL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello. I wanted to add this to the Modded Mini gallery but did not see the link to add a photo like I did before. If any one can help me, I would appreciate it. Here is the URL to my Car Domain page, scroll down and there are two pics of the fiberglass enclosure my bf and I just built. It's in a '02 Cooper S and I am still trying to get the owner to get on this site. Let me know if you guys like it. It took less than a month to install the entire system (head unit, mids and highs), build the box and do the finishing work. That was with the owner only being able to leave the car a few times. We have all the measurements now and can build 'em with out the car. So if any one is interested in a hand built fiberglass box in any shape you desire, let me know. I can promise you it will be less than half of what any custom car audio shop charges. The owner wanted a lot of bass so that's why we did it ported but we can do them completely stealth like. We painted this one to match the car and it has a gel coat finish. We can also carpet and vinyl them to match the interior. Fiberglass is a whole lot lighter than regular MDF and a lot stronger. Thank you for looking! Later, Marni

Pics of fiberglass enclosure

Old 01-10-2003, 04:18 PM
jowannamini
3rd Gear
are thos speakers? no offense but if they are, i would HATE to live near you.

http://hometown.aol.com/joseh1076/JOSEART.html

Old 01-10-2003, 04:30 PM
DMCGIRL
Neutral
The box we built for the Mini is one 12 in. kicker sub, the two holes on either side are the ports. We built it to SPL specs because the owner is interested in competeing in dB drag racing. We build them to suit the tastes of the owner. Well, I hope someone out there appreciates the hard work it takes to build a box out of fiberglass with a finish like that.
Later, Marni

Old 01-10-2003, 04:40 PM
ADVANTAGE
2nd Gear
i can appreciate it, a little impractical though. i've got three different boxes all built out or glass, but these rest on the shelf behind the seat, makes for effortless removal, and the ability to swap boxes for desired sound.
box #1 three 5ws focals
box #2 one xtant 12"
box #3 two exonic 10"
all these serve a purpose for different listening enviornments.

Old 01-10-2003, 04:56 PM
DMCGIRL
Neutral
Ported boxes are larger than sealed boxes. If we had built a sealed box for the 12 in. sub than it would of been a whole lot smaller but this was built for SPL competition. I don't see how it's impractical, it was built to exact specs from Kicker. I think we saved a lot of room by flushing the amps into the back of the box. I had read a post where the person said it's a good idea to hollow out the back of the seats to mount the amps, that's impractical.

Old 01-10-2003, 05:04 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
I actually think it could have been aesthetically Better, following the lines of the mini, that's what fiberglass enclosures are for more or less... No offence, I'm sure it sounds bitchen, but looks ugly.

Old 01-10-2003, 05:20 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
>>I actually think it could have been aesthetically Better, following the lines of the mini, that's what fiberglass enclosures are for more or less... No offence, I'm sure it sounds bitchen, but looks ugly.
>>
>>_________________
>>

I have to agree.

Old 01-10-2003, 05:44 PM
DMCGIRL
Neutral
Thank you for being honest. Working with the air space, having to have the amps visible, and not able to go above the seat line, we didn't have a lot of room to get creative with the lines. The sub has a large magnet and that is the angle we had to go with to clear the amp rack and the housing of the rear wiper. We thought we did a good job and I think it looks good but oh well.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
I have to disagree. This is really great work!!

I've toiled with glass myself so I can understand how much work went into that structure and the finish. Really, really nice. Getting the glass to lay smooth enough to paint and gel coat takes some practice. My structure turned out amazingly strong, but not the smoothest. No worries though as I was going to carpet it anyway.

I'll post your pictures here, too.

R

Old 01-10-2003, 06:10 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
I'm sure it was a well done job. Do not take my opinion as a knock.

I've also worked with a lot of fiberglass/kevlar/carbon fiber (special effects etc) and it really isn't that hard to produce a clean, smooth surface... that's all flak from installers. All it takes is patience and a respect for material.