Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod solutions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 02:20 PM
alessi_brand
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod solutions

Ok, I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I've been exploring options for hooking up my ipod with the following requirements:

- I want to control it from the steering wheel
- should be easy to plug in
- iPod should be powered
- i don't trust the fm interface or like the quality
- I have HK
and the clincher:
- I want to see the current track details without looking at the iPod, namely on the head unit.

so with that last, the iPod/Mini connector is out, Denison Ice Link is potentially in (the website is unclear on song display with Mini/BMW, but I've heard it's coming???), and all that's left is a new head unit.

The only solution in this vein I've seen is an Alpine deck with the additional iPod component connector.

Does anybody have this? If so, how is it with MFSW? HK? How does it use/control/display the iPod? Can/Does the iPod sit in the glove compartment, like the iPod/Mini connector? (I like the non-conspicuous lockability of this option)

Are there other solutions (including 'iPod Plus' from Denison)?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:08 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
The icelink plus doesn't display titles on the mini stereo - although they are testing a version that outs them on the Mini nav screen.
I have used the alpine - not to keen on the controls - ipod can live in the glove box
Clarion have launched their ipod link - looks very nice although I am still waiting to get my hands one one.
Kenwood are launching theirs in the UK tommorow
With any aftermarket radio you will need a HK enabler to link it to the HK system & also mfsw adaptor - beware many USA spec radios don't have a mfsw socket - although some use the SWIX

Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
MiniCD
5th Gear
This is a new one I found at Crutchfield. They claim up to 5 playlists can be controlled from the stereo so it sounds like the BMW/MINI adaptor, just costs less.

iPod interface

Old 02-10-2005, 09:40 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCD
This is a new one I found at Crutchfield. They claim up to 5 playlists can be controlled from the stereo so it sounds like the BMW/MINI adaptor, just costs less.

iPod interface
This USA SPEC adaptor sounds good. Does anyone have it to review?
I wonder how it differs from the MINI adaptor or ICELINK?

Old 02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
jpa2825
2nd Gear
I online chatted w/ Crutchfield rep (Chad) and he said this should work for a 2003 MINI w/ Cassette HU. Not sure he's right, but he said the 30 day money back guarantee includes return shipping, so there's no risk. He did, however, say they are on backorder until March 20th.

I'll see if my dealer comes up with any ideas to make the current OEM adapter which is installed but non-functioning b/c my HU has cassette rather than CD HU work.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:03 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Has anyone installed their iPod in the storage compartment of the OEM armrest (or are thinking about it)? Just curious...

Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
rg
3rd Gear
I've got a question for those who have installed the "official Mini/iPod adapter" thingie. i've searched, but haven't found this specific info. When the iPod is connected, exactly what do the MFSW buttons do? Do they switch between the (CD's) playlists? I understand the volume button controls the volume, and am assuming the up/down button controls the next song/previous song, and the input select controls the input. So, does the other "un-used" button switch between the playlists, or do you have to use the buttons on the HU?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jpa2825
I online chatted w/ Crutchfield rep (Chad) and he said this should work for a 2003 MINI w/ Cassette HU. Not sure he's right, but he said the 30 day money back guarantee includes return shipping, so there's no risk. He did, however, say they are on backorder until March 20th.

I'll see if my dealer comes up with any ideas to make the current OEM adapter which is installed but non-functioning b/c my HU has cassette rather than CD HU work.
Interestingly, the link to this adapter no longer works. Plus I searched the entire crutchfield website and it's disappeared!

Old 02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
Originally Posted by rg
I've got a question for those who have installed the "official Mini/iPod adapter" thingie. i've searched, but haven't found this specific info. When the iPod is connected, exactly what do the MFSW buttons do? Do they switch between the (CD's) playlists? I understand the volume button controls the volume, and am assuming the up/down button controls the next song/previous song, and the input select controls the input. So, does the other "un-used" button switch between the playlists, or do you have to use the buttons on the HU?
rg - The "unused" button is still unused. You have to use the 1-6 on the head unit. 1-5 are playlists and 6 plays all songs on the iPod. You are correct on the other buttons.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:34 PM
MarkS
5th Gear
Is this what the now non-working link was pointing to?

Mark

Old 03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
CapWKidd
4th Gear
So, anyone know if this works yet (showing the tag info on the Nav screen)?

Doug

Originally Posted by mikeythemini
The icelink plus doesn't display titles on the mini stereo - although they are testing a version that outs them on the Mini nav screen.
I have used the alpine - not to keen on the controls - ipod can live in the glove box
Clarion have launched their ipod link - looks very nice although I am still waiting to get my hands one one.
Kenwood are launching theirs in the UK tommorow
With any aftermarket radio you will need a HK enabler to link it to the HK system & also mfsw adaptor - beware many USA spec radios don't have a mfsw socket - although some use the SWIX