Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Success: Stock Mini H/U, displays my own text!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 06:50 AM
dbroome
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Success: Stock Mini H/U, displays my own text!

I managed to figure out a way to get the stock mini headunit to display the text I want it to that I send to it from a computer. This is in an 05 MCS, but it will work in any Sirius satellite radio ready headunit (or H/K). This would NOT be able to run at the same time as the Blitzsafe XMDirect adapter.

This does NOT mean that the cdplayer or a cd changer emulator will necessarily be able to display text (mp3 idvx tags), as I could not figure out how to do it, and believe that the headunit just doesn't support text in those two modes (though I hope I am wrong). It emulates a Sirius unit.

What do I plan on doing with this? Well, I will first firm up the basic program (this was just a proof of concept) that reads the IBus and does 'stuff' when buttons are pressed and sends text to the HU. Then, I will begin building plugins to that program that will:
1) Control an mp3 player, allowing navigation of folder hierarchy and playing of albums in folders or playlists, displaying the IDVx tags on the hu
2) Build a plugin to control the XMDirect or a PCR so I can get rid of the Blitzsafe enitrely
3) Build a plugin for displaying random text, that can be used to store directions in advance that can be accessed from the hu.
4) Build a plugin that will, when in a hotspot, check email and read it to you, or get weather or that sort of internet type function, all from the hu.

As an aside, this will probably be interesting to all the people who have purchased (or plan to purchase) the Denison ICE>Link plus, as this method of displaying text would allow that device to display the IPOD info on the hu of any Sirius ready hu (mini or BMW). So it IS possible.

Here is a link to a page with the video of it:
http://www.davidbroome.com/page.asp?Page=139

Old 01-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Dog_Man
1st Gear
You build it and I will buy it!

Fantastic work thus far.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:04 AM
CapWKidd
4th Gear
What? No update on this? How is the project going?

Doug

Old 03-04-2005, 09:00 AM
dbroome
1st Gear
Stalled. Work went really crazy on me and I despair of ever catching up. So, here is a link to the code (written in vb6).

Basically, I have the core program done and 2 plugins (an mp3 browser/player and a text editor). If you have VB6, just download the code and feel free to do with it what you want, as long as you acknowlege my initial work...

MINIInfo Code

Oh, and you have to have a serial to IBus converter hardwar for it to work, which you can get from Rolf Ressler on the Hack the IBUS Yahoo group (or build your own using the circuits they have there)...