Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R58 speaker upgrades for a start

Old 04-08-2018, 04:31 PM
mpm
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
R58 speaker upgrades for a start

Finally started my upgrades. My car is a 2012 Coupe S R58. I'm not a brand name person so no Pioneer or Kenwood for me. I decide on what specs are important to me and I buy raw speakers. For this install I'm going with PRV from Parts Expresss. Install was pretty straight forward with only a few mild modifications needed. I have only installed them in the passenger door so far.

I'm gonig to let them break in for a week or so and then compare them to the still installed factory speakers on the drivers side. My R58 came with the base model stereo so no tweeters like the Harmon Kardon setups. Initial impression is an improvement in clarity especially on the high end. Bottom end is there but still nothing to write home about. I have not done the harness swap so the front speakers still get a full range signal. My final install will have a custom 2nd order 3-way crossover with a tweeter install somewhere in the usual spots. I like designing my own crossovers and there is plenty of room in the armrest.

Future plans include the usual headunit, amp and woofer.

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-au...-ohm--294-2703

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-au...-ohm--294-2760

R58 speaker upgrades for a start-prv-speaker-install-r56-r58.jpg

Old 04-10-2018, 06:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I have the HK and it sounds great. I dont know why people opted for the base system. There used to be a factory Alpine system that was made for the MINI, but its NLA now.

Looks good so far and are you adding a tweeter? When you do you could just get the factory A-pillars with the tweeter pods, then swap in the aftermarket ones.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM
mpm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I have the HK and it sounds great. I dont know why people opted for the base system. There used to be a factory Alpine system that was made for the MINI, but its NLA now.

Looks good so far and are you adding a tweeter? When you do you could just get the factory A-pillars with the tweeter pods, then swap in the aftermarket ones.
Would have been nice to have the HK system to start with. I wouldn't be going thru this upgrade. But it's fun for me especially if the outcome is good.

I will be adding a tweeter. I though about the A-pillars but for the cost of new A-pillars I can get a good 4 channel amp. Will likely add the tweeters to the top of the door. But I am going to do some placement testing before making a final decision. I have the tweeter linked below. It sounds good but is a little more difficult to mount and have it look factory. When I get closer to finalizing this I'll try it everywhere. Reflecting toward the windshield from the dash, mounted on the windshield both high and low next to the A-pillar, on the door panel, etc.....

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...6-ohm--275-083

I may still end up with a traditional dome tweeter but I really like the planar.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:50 PM
mpm
1st Gear
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...4-ohm--264-845

Another possible tweeter option. This one will mount nicely with the aluminum body and ring. Good specs and you can cross it over pretty low. I may be ordering myself a set of these.