Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Busy Week! (Exhaust Upgrades and Suspension Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Busy Week! (Exhaust Upgrades and Suspension Upgrades)

So i've been busy this week. I've been at MINICorsa every day since Friday (With the exception of Tuesday and Wednesday ).

Here's a quick run down:
Friday: CROSS Competition Coilovers went on. AMAZING handing. I've since cranked up the dampening to 10 in the front and 8 in the rear, so it's definitely stiffened it up quite a bit (Started with 7 and 8, and the ride quality was near stock). This would be my first mod if I had to go back and get a stock MCS.

Saturday: Back to MINICorsa to adjust the ride height (2 free adjustments! ).

Sunday: Back to MINICorsa to hang out with a few MINI owners getting some work done.

Monday: More Suspension Fiddling at MINICorsa (Screwing around with Camber adjustments), pulled my H-Sport springs and camber plates off my old Shocks to sell them.

Thursday: MINICORSA again at 9:30 AM, Getting the RMW Exhaust Installed!!. I ended up hanging out most of the day helping/watching Danny install a set of CROSS Competition Coilovers and an Innovative Wideband A/F gauge on Mariokart's car. Turns out the wideband was defective .

I had to run to get my car aligned, but it turns out the shop couldnt' figure out how to adjust the camber plates without dropping the whole strut, so I had them do the rear's and ran back to Danny's shop. He finished up on Mario's car around 6pm, and we started work on mine after a 30-40 minute break (Food!).

First we wrapped my new RMW Header in thermal wrap . That took forever ! Looks awesome though, and given the amount of heat generated under the hood from the header, I expect it lowered under hood temps quite a bit.

We finished that up at around 9:30 pm.

Then Danny started off lengthening the O2 sensor wires. What a PITA! Soldering the old leads onto some new wire took a bit of time, but it was getting all the wires in heat shielding that took the longest amount of time . In the future RMW will be acquiring some of the OEM O2 plugs for plug and play extensions.

We finished that up at around 11 pm.

Finally, we fit the two sections of the exhaust together

We finished that up pretty quick after a bit of ingenuity (Turns out my old Invidia exhaust mounted up with flanges, and so we had to find something to temporarily clamp the rear slip joint).

Finally, we hung the exhaust and fired it up! Sounds MEAN! Of course we had a plume of smoke coming from under my engine bay because of the header wrap, which smelled awful, but that went away after about 20 minutes of running the car.

Quick test drive to get everything heated up and make sure everything was tightened down. Went great, I lost a tad of low end grunt, but picked up some ponies on top. The sound alone was worth it!

We ended up leaving the shop at about 12:15 AM.

Name another mechanic that will work on your car until midnight! .

Kudos to Jan at RMW and Danny at MINICORSA for jumping at the last minute, and working their asses off (As always) to get everything done .

Thanks guys!

Today I got my alignment finalized, and tomorrow i'll be heading back down to Danny's shop with the rest of the guys heading to Streets of Willow Sunday, as we'll be prepping our cars for the track (Got some race rubber today, NOT FUN IN THE RAIN , but should be awesome on the track .

Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SayGoodbye
Very nice!

Let us know how it feels after the tune.
That may not get done before the track day, but i'll definitely update after we get some software on it. Runs great for stock software , Just a tad annoying to be bouncing off the rev limiter in 2 seconds.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEAK!!!!

*walks away kicking rock......*