Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Sat Nav and SIRIUS Radio Option

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:25 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat Nav and SIRIUS Radio Option

Why are the Sat Nav and Sirius Radio incompatible as stock orders?

I'm sure you could wire in an external one using the Aux Input, but wanted to keep my dash clean if possible.

MacGuruTX

Old 08-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's an issue regarding antennas. Both the Nav and the Sirius use microwave satellite antennas (obviously) that are totally incompatible with one another (one antenna cant be used for both systems). Supposedly there is a combo antenna in the works. 1st gen Nav antennas are the stand-alone shark fin with the AM/FM antenna a grid in the side window. Later models will have a whip antenna for FM/AM with the Nav antenna in the base. The combo antenna should have the Sirius antenna in the base as well. I have only heard of this 'combo antenna' as idle talk on the boards, nothing definite (yet).

Old 08-21-2004, 09:48 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Spoke to Tate MINI in Annapolis MD today. They confirm that the new antenna is a full combination antenna that is AM/FM, Sirius, and Sat Nav ready. Sirius and Sat Nav will be available together in the '05.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:12 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I read somewhere that all 05 Minis have sirius prep and the the antenna is built in already. Thus the price drop on the hardware to $395 (per sirius news).

Old 08-22-2004, 10:55 AM
FF2-EMTB
2nd Gear
Ok this is getting very confusing. So what you guys are saying is that the antenna that came on my '05 MCS is in fact the sirius antenna and if thats the case, then the other end that plugs into the tuner is tucked away somewhere in the car?

T.

Old 08-22-2004, 11:37 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
You have the antenna with your '05, what you probably need to add is the Sirius tuner with is completely independent of your AM/FM tuner

Old 08-22-2004, 12:12 PM
FF2-EMTB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
You have the antenna with your '05, what you probably need to add is the Sirius tuner with is completely independent of your AM/FM tuner
Right, I got that part figured out :smile: What the question of the hour is: Where is the other end of that antenna stuffed, AND is it the standard end like on all the other SIRIUS antenna? I can really see BMW being **** about it and making the end of the wire so that the only tuner you can use is the one you have to buy from a dealer.

T

Old 08-22-2004, 01:11 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
My guess is that the antenna line runs down into one of the compartments on either side of the boot and more than likely the passenger side. However, I have no eveidence to support this and am merely pulling this out of my butt...

I think there's somebody on one of the two boards who's done the install of the MINI system themselves on an 03 or 04 who might know for sure...

Old 08-22-2004, 10:08 PM
jerij
2nd Gear
The Siruis antenna has basically 2 leads coming out of it. The AM/FM lead attachs to the "radio" lead right there where the antenna goes through the roof. The "satellite" attachment is longer. It goes down the side of the inside trim (left) down the the hatch and attaches to the satellite tuner there.

At least that's how I hooked mine up....

I find it odd you would have the satellite antenna already but no tuner installed. I didn't think there was an option where you got the antenna but no tuner. It should be a package. If your dash/radio display will show "Sirius" and pick up channel 187 (?preview), you've got the tuner. The preview channel is the only one you will pick up without having the service.

jerij

Old 08-22-2004, 10:35 PM
indiman
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
jerij, so what year is your mini? My dealer told me that the 05 models have an am/fm/satnav antenna. The dealer said that mini has not worked out the sirius install yet and that sirius is unavailable at the moment.

I would sure love to solve this before my 05 comes in.

Jeff

Old 08-23-2004, 05:34 AM
jerij
2nd Gear
Mine is an '04.

OEM Sirius and Nav conflict due to the different antennas used. For a while I had an aftermarket Sirius in the Cooper and used an aftermarket antenna. I just put it alongside the regular AM/FM antenna and ran it up to my tuner. When I installed the OEM Sirius, it came with a replacement AM/FM/Satellite antenna that I'm using now.

My best guess is there are those out there who have Nav with the Nav antenna and have installed the OEM Sirius tuner but have used an aftermarket antenna (thus 2 antennas on their roof like I first had) to run the Sirius.

I think what Mini is now talking about is a "COMBO" antenna that will interface with the Nav AND Sirius. Therefore you would have only ONE antenna on the car to run the AM/FM Sirius Nav setup. That antenna doesn't exist yet as far as I know.

But yes, you should be able to have Sirius AND Nav if you're willing to have 2 antennas on your roof, one being an aftermarket antenna. The Sirius antenna has actually 3 leads. One goes to the AM/FM radio link, the other 2 go to the Sirus tuner. I'm not sure why it uses 2 connectors, my aftermarket that I originally had just used a single antenna connection (Kenwood PNP).

jerij

Old 08-23-2004, 05:55 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jerij
I think what Mini is now talking about is a "COMBO" antenna that will interface with the Nav AND Sirius. Therefore you would have only ONE antenna on the car to run the AM/FM Sirius Nav setup. That antenna doesn't exist yet as far as I know.
It has been confirmed, NO additional antenna will be need for Sirius on the '05s with or without Nav. Don't know if there are two individual antennas in the pod or if it's a combo antenna, however the pod at the base of the antenna accomodates BOTH Nav and Sirius. This has come from multiple dealers and I've now heard it from MINIUSA as well.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Can someone who has an 05 take a picture of the sirius connection? I am curious to see where the antenna is fed to and where the box will go.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:37 PM
indiman
2nd Gear
Latest '05 antenna news

Mini USA finally called me back concerning the "new" '05 antenna. I was told that there is a new antenna in the works but as of this time, there are no details on what the configuration of that antenna will be.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.

Does anyone have a 2005 Mini with Sirius as a option? If so, are you using the antenna that came with your car?

Jeff

Old 08-25-2004, 07:23 AM
RawRats
1st Gear
If some can tell me how to check the antenna on my '05 MC for the presence of a satellite antenna, I'd be happy to post my findings.

Dana

Old 09-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
XM installed to head - why go with Sirius?

When you can buy XM Direct and install it with the 03-05 head units? I was told by a senior exec at XM that there are more installs of XM Direct in BMWs than there are of Sirius in all BMWs. I've been searching for the Sirius antenna in my '05 and I honestly don't think it is installed yet. I haven't found any leads yet anyway.The input for the Sat unit is working - as Sirius and XM use the same type of input to handle a Sat feed. Question is if they use the same Antenna connection - I believe Sirius and XM both use Terk antennas.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
indiman
2nd Gear
Hey Kurt,

Not sure about XM. I thought Sirius was the only factory/dealer option on BMWs and MINIs. I bet that the current '05 antenna is not Satellite ready. My '05 is being built this week and will probably have the same antenna. I think I will install my own antenna.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:12 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by indiman
I thought Sirius was the only factory/dealer option on BMWs and MINIs. .
It's the officially sanctioned BMW option, however a few dealers have struck out on their own and offer XM in addition to the official MINI/BMW Sirius setup.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
moonshine blue mini
1st Gear
Hi, does anyone know where I can buy a shark fin antenna with XM/SIRIUS /GSM/GPS/AM/FM reception? Thanks guys!