Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Sirius / XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:10 AM
AlFiala
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius / XM Install

Hey everyone - New to Mini! my wife and I got rid of the high mileage jeeps and bought a Countryman (hers) and a Paceman (mine). I had Sat radio in my jeep but the Mini did not come with one installed. This may be beating a dead house, but I've got some questions...
Are the 2014 Paceman & Countryman sat ready? It would be cheaper to just install a new tuner than pay the $375 to get the sat radio "turned on"? That ways it would still run through the factory head unit and have to use a plug and play.
Also wondering if I install a tuner, can I still use the one year free trial?
No where does it say that the sat radio has to be factory installed.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Are the 2014 Paceman & Countryman sat ready?
I've been doing same research for our 2013 Cman. I read in a thread here that all Mini's are sat ready these days. Go to bmwarchive.org and type in your VIN numbers. On the cool spec sheet you get you should find code S693A Preparation satellite radio. That means you have all the gear required and can pay the $375 if you so choose.

It would be cheaper to just install a new tuner than pay the $375 to get the sat radio "turned on"?
I don't have the fancy connected HU. I think the regular HU is quirky enough without trying to read SAT channels on it. I have read here that there is a limit to the number of XM channels the factory HU can display/manage as well. I called XM and they sold me a new Onyx Plus receiver with vehicle kit for $49. I was also purchasing service so that may have had something to do with the good price. I don't see a good spot to mount the dock with the XM supplied mounts. I am going to give it one more look before I purchase one of the pro-clip mounts. I'll still need to buy a SAT patch cable to run from the factory installed antenna connector in the passenger kick panel to the dock http://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/SB9SBJ-174-6. The XM kit includes an antenna, but I don't want to mount it unless reception with the factory XM antenna is horrible

Wondering if I install a tuner, can I still use the one year free trial?
No where does it say that the sat radio has to be factory installed.
I am not sure who is technically footing the bill for the year of service. You could call Sirius and generically ask them that question. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to lock the free year to the factory unit

Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 AM
AlFiala
Neutral
SC - Thanks for your input! - The $375 to just get the unit turned on is insane. I used a plug and play for several years in my Wrangler for many years before I got a moved to a head unit. I should've pulled the sat. tuner out before I traded in the Jeep. I got a similar quote from Sirius XM for the Onyx. I think the pro clip is the way to go, $55 to have it in easy reach is worth it over the long haul. Everyone that I've talked to says the stock sat. antenna feature sounds fine. 2 years ago, I needed a new tuner but the existing antenna was fine - was able to sell the new antenna on ebay for $20. That helps with the cost of the proclip. If I do the plug and play, I think I will eventually hard with the power. Thanks again

Old 11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I know for sure all the 2015 MINIs have Sat Prep standard and I am 90% sure the '14s did as well.

Satellite preparation means all the hardware is there to utilize SIRIUS/XM and all you're really purchasing is the activation code. Keep in mind the $375 includes a year of service and once your year is up, I've always been able to negotiate a really low rate (pretty easy...I just call and say I want to cancel and by the end of the call I'm paying $30 or less for 6 months.)

Old 11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
AlFiala
Neutral
Sirius - yeah my current sub is up at Christmas... It looks like the 14's have the prep standard. thanks for your help!

Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Sirius Radio is a $250 option when building a car on MINI build site. That price includes 1 year trial. That's the cheapest way to get that feature.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by AlFiala
SC - Thanks for your input! - The $375 to just get the unit turned on is insane. I used a plug and play for several years in my Wrangler for many years before I got a moved to a head unit. I should've pulled the sat. tuner out before I traded in the Jeep. I got a similar quote from Sirius XM for the Onyx. I think the pro clip is the way to go, $55 to have it in easy reach is worth it over the long haul. Everyone that I've talked to says the stock sat. antenna feature sounds fine. 2 years ago, I needed a new tuner but the existing antenna was fine - was able to sell the new antenna on ebay for $20. That helps with the cost of the proclip. If I do the plug and play, I think I will eventually hard with the power. Thanks again
$375 JUST for the code.

Dealer gets $125 labor to plug your car in to activate.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Actually, the dealer has to retrofit the vehicle via programming to activate the additional functionality in the head unit.
On a factory equipped car, that is already there. Both require that SIRIUS be contacted to provide account information and actually send the activation signal using ESN number.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Thats correct, I meant $125 on top of the $375 to program/retrofit.
After that the 800 number shows up on the screen along with the ESN.

The customer calls SiriusXM, not the dealer, as they will need personal info prior to sending an activation signal.

On another note,
I did not go that route.
I was given an ONYX plus for free (from SiriusXM), along with free activation, as I was an existing client.

I bought a pro clip, and a cable to tap into the OEM sat antenna.

I documented this on other posts.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:16 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
$375 JUST for the code.

Dealer gets $125 labor to plug your car in to activate.
Yikes, your dealer charges labor too? Both dealers here do not.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:39 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Yikes, your dealer charges labor too? Both dealers here do not.
I seriously doubt it.
4 hours on their computer, no way free.

I checked three different dealers, all charge.