Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio has anyone seen these or know anything about this company??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 PM
fleadog99
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking for a solution instead of forking over 500 bucks for a stealthbox. I came across this website just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. They have a lot of stuff for enclosers. They have neat acrylic amp covers with acid etched system diagrams, and also acrylic MINI logo sub grills. JUst wondering I have about 1000-1500 for a system trying to get the best for my money. I Live in N. Dallas and looking for a good installer.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:14 PM
fleadog99
1st Gear
Forgot the linkStealthboxes

Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I was looking for a solution instead of forking over 500 bucks for a stealthbox. I came across this website just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. They have a lot of stuff for enclosers. They have neat acrylic amp covers with acid etched system diagrams, and also acrylic MINI logo sub grills. JUst wondering I have about 1000-1500 for a system trying to get the best for my money. I Live in N. Dallas and looking for a good installer.

If you have the stock audio in your MINI and you want more bass then here are some options-
Keep the stock system and add a powered subwoofer for under $300 like the Infinity BassLink for about $268 on special at Circuit City. Has a professional install it to be safe since the MINI/BMW wiring is tricky to work with.

Keep the stock system and add a separate amp to power a subwoofer which can be custom built for the boot or use the Stealthboxz if the JL Stealthbox is too expensive for you.

For your budget I would think that a good pro audio shop could build and install a good 10 or 12" sub in a basic enclosure for the MINI boot with amp that hides under a false boot floor board. Add dynamat extreme for sound deadening to both front doors. Now see how everything sounds. If not enough front volume from the stock speakers then get an amp to power the fronts only. Be sure to have a separate volume control for the sub amp with crossovers for the sub. Don't bother changing head unit, or any of the stock speakers for now and see how it goes.

The simplest solution is the Infinity BassLink which has 200 W power built in with the sub that takes up the least space in the boot. Otherwise you loose space for the sub and the amp. It is also the lowest cost solution and has resale value. You can purchase it over the internet discounted but with no or little warranty. JL stealthbox is better engineered and made with no sales except through authorized dealers. It's not super good in bass but pretty good with the right amp and the MINI's small size.

Don't forget to do the sound deadening to help absorb vibration and keep out the noise from the outside.

While you can get better speakers front and rear or a head unit with more features the return on performance will be at a high price. Some owners like the Infinity Kappa speakers. But the price for installation adds up unless you are doing it all yourself.

If you have Harmon Kardon then just add the sub with amp or Infinity BassLink with sound deadening.

Autoacoutsics is in the UK with prices varying for the enclosure from about 150 pounds for a single 10 or 12" speaker or 250 pounds for a double speaker. Speakers not included. Various colors. Shipping to the US would be expensive with a heavy enclosure. I would think that if you showed a picture of this to a pro shop they could make one for cheap. It won't have all the R&D of JL behind it as the JL stealthbox is not a simple rectangular box.

The stealthboxz from AutoAcoustics in a MINI

At Auto Acoustics I did find something interesting and that was the Stealthshelf which comes in kit form (80 pounds) or finished with various carpets (100 pounds) and allows for speakers of various sizes from 4" round to 6x9 to be mounted on the rear boot shelf in pairs. I think someone else mentioned that Kenwood was coming up with a european 6x9 subwoofer speaker so that one could be mounted into this shelf in a pair and be run by an amp to get more bass but not take up as much boot space. Interesting approach but a bit more cost.
https://www.shopcreator.com/mall/pro...&did=40398

Here is my JL stealthbox and Xtant amp

Old 05-12-2004, 03:32 PM
fleadog99
1st Gear
This is what I ended up with.

Alpine 9820xm headunit
Alpine SPS-171A 61/2 front speakers
2 Blaupunkt PA2150 amps (for fronts and sub) will install under seats.

this is all I have for now. When I recieve everything, I will go to either cartoys, or circuit city, and see how much to install a box and sub. I am looking at the Alpine type-r 10" to keep cost down and to keep everything Alpine. (except the amps)

What do you think?

pics of front speakers

Old 05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
fleadog99
1st Gear
sub

Old 05-13-2004, 06:25 AM
donut
2nd Gear
Watch out on the front speaker install! I just went to have mine installed and looks like it's going to be a b!tch. There is no wiring loop passing through the door. It's a plug and there are only 2 wires going through the plug and no unused wires. Basically, this means that you will have to mount the crossover in the door and hope it doesn't rattle. New door components can mean BIG money. If anyone knows a way around this please speak up.

-Donut

Old 05-27-2004, 10:18 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
how do you like the jl subbox? what amp did you connect to it?

Old 05-28-2004, 01:17 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>how do you like the jl subbox? what amp did you connect to it?

For me I have four channels of amp built in to the head unit of which two channels are driving the rear 6x9 MB Quart speakers. My front MB Quart component speakers are driven off of two channels of my Xtant 4.4 four channel amp in the boot area. The remaining two channels from the Xtant and bridged to drive the JL Stealthbox sub which is 10".

The balance of the system is good with separate controls for bass, midrange, treble and subwoofer right off the head unit. The JL Stealthbox is moderate in bass, not booming or excessive unless turned up. Overall the bass sound is much better than when I didn't have the subwoofer. Having the sub with crossover helps clean up the sound in the front and rear speakers. Those still give some measure of bass but the midrange and highs are clear with little distortion until the volume is really turned up. The Xtant amp also has "Active Resonance Control" to help front speaker sound.

For info on Xtant 4.4 amp

Don't forget about the sound deadening material which you can do yourself. Try Dynamat Extreme or Cascade Audio VB-Max adhesive sheets.