R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Catch Can Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 AM
Oilfieldtrash
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Catch Can Questions

Hey All,

I see everyone on here running an M7 or other various OCCs. I have found a company called Radium Engineering that makes, what looks to be, a very high quality can. However, I'm not sure what size hoses and fittings I need. Can anyone shed some light on hose sizes needed and possibly a suggestion on fittings. Thanks Much.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Save your money. They don't work.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Oilfieldtrash
1st Gear
Really? What makes you say that? I have one on my Mercedes W204 C63 and it works so very well.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:41 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Save your money. They don't work.
No Burnt oil buildup on my 09 with 50k,that I contribute to the oil catch can, but it does not do much in hot weather, catches a lot of muck in the cooler weather and winter. so if a person lives somewhere where it is always hot , it might not be needed

Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Oilfieldtrash
1st Gear
I would prefer to be safe than sorry. So back to my original question, does anyone have any idea on measurements? Thanks Again.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash
Really? What makes you say that? I have one on my Mercedes W204 C63 and it works so very well.
The subject has been beaten to death here on NAM and other MINI sites. OCCs are easy and cheap to produce, so many tuning companies make and sell them for cheap. When installed, the do collect a combination of water and oil vapors, but don't come close to eliminating oil in the intake tract, intercooler or valve tops. Tons of people have bought and installed them, and are 'happy' with them, so you get lots of debate about them: one side says they don't work, the other side says they're happy with them whether or not they're effective.

I've seen the results of OCCs dozens of times. We work on these cars all day, every day. The catch cans don't do what they purport to do. If people are happy with their purchase of one, so be it. I won't criticize. I just know that there are better ways to spend your performance or maintenance dollar.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash
I would prefer to be safe than sorry. So back to my original question, does anyone have any idea on measurements? Thanks Again.
There are many threads on this subject. I have a BSH , you might go with the whole kit, all the hoses and fittings are included.And they have online instructions to look at too. Use a large syringe to remove the gunk through the dipstick hole , its too much trouble to remove the can.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Catch Can Questions-mini-can-img_2259.jpg  
Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Oilfieldtrash
1st Gear
I know BSH makes one. I just wanted something a bit different than most of the community had. I know there is probably a reason you all use the same ones, because they work. I really like the look of the Radium can, but they don't offer a "kit" for minis. Hence why Im asking for advice on a fitting to go from our car to a hose barb, then a hose to the can.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
We have some good info about catch cans here. Also has a step by step process to install if you're DIY handy. I'm not sure about the hoses and fittings as each can from each company might require different size hoses and fittings... Could be wrong though. Maybe you could buy hoses and fittings from M7 and the can from the company you want if they seem to be similar? Just a suggestion. Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-23-2015, 12:57 PM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am actually going to install one on my car right now, I bought a cheap ebay one and did a slight modification (made one tube deeper in the catch can than the other). I attached a photo of what I mean, the question is, does the deeper one go to the crank case and the shorter one to the turbo (air intake)?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
The subject has been beaten to death here on NAM and other MINI sites. OCCs are easy and cheap to produce, so many tuning companies make and sell them for cheap. When installed, the do collect a combination of water and oil vapors, but don't come close to eliminating oil in the intake tract, intercooler or valve tops. Tons of people have bought and installed them, and are 'happy' with them, so you get lots of debate about them: one side says they don't work, the other side says they're happy with them whether or not they're effective.

I've seen the results of OCCs dozens of times. We work on these cars all day, every day. The catch cans don't do what they purport to do. If people are happy with their purchase of one, so be it. I won't criticize. I just know that there are better ways to spend your performance or maintenance dollar.
They will find out like those who have used an OCC only to find out their intake valves are still covered in oil deposits, let them find out for themselves eventually. A band-aid solution at best.