Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Harmon Kardon-Worth The $550?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
sleslie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to do a search to see other feedback about my question. I may have done it wrong, so I apologize if this topic has been discussed countless times. I am new.

How much difference is there in the sound quality with the H. Kardon upgrade? Is it worth the additional $550.00?

Thanks in advance-

sleslie

Old 04-13-2004, 02:33 PM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
how good is your hearing?

seriously though.. take a couple cds - of various genres and go to the dealer and sit down.

to me it wasnt really worth it.. the stock system is very nice as far as stock systems go.. at some point i may add some juice via an amp and just to the fronts.. but that'd be it for me...

some persons have a higher demand on the quality of their tunes however..

Old 04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After driving a Land Rover Defender 90 for 8 years as my daily driver, I was just happy to be able to actually hear the radio above the sound of engine, transmission, exhaust, wind, and thumping of the soft-top!

I have heard both and the HK does sound a little better. If you are very picky about car stereos, I'd go aftermarket for the best sound.

I'm pleased with the stock system in my MINI though, but probably would have ordered the HK anyway if it had been available when I got my MINI, but they did not put them in until the next month after mine was built.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with sdanaher. It's a personal decision. I felt it was worth it for me. For others, not so worth it...

Old 04-13-2004, 03:38 PM
H&J
3rd Gear

>>seriously though.. take a couple cds - of various genres and go to the dealer and sit down.
>>
Absolutely. Use music you like at home and take it to the dealer and try both DURING a test drive. Things always sound great in the show room, but on the road is the only way to see if you'll really dig it. Listen while riding then GET AWAY from the dealership, allowing that "buyer's high" to settle down... next a.m. ask yer self if the dough feels right.

Of course, nothing wrong with sitting in the Mini, ignition off, listening to favorite tunes in one's driveway .

Old 04-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
IMO - the H/K is worth the money if you have no desire to bother with aftermarket equipment.

that said, moving to Audio Forum
Cheers,
Ryan

Old 04-13-2004, 05:18 PM
DanTheMan
2nd Gear
Like the HK, but find it a bit boomy on the base, which makes everything rattle in the car when cranked up and seems to lose high and mid range clarity. It doesn’t seem to compensate when you turn the volume up, so I still haven’t found a setting which I really like that works for everything. That being said the HK definitely sounds better than the standard stereo. Real shame it doesn't play MP3 encoded CDs since it is only a single slot CD player. I have the MP3 jack, which is great, but may go for the iPOD head-unit card next.

I had a Bose in an Audi before which was stunning – so its got a lot to live up to. Best car stereo I’ve ever had (and now the wife’s got it )

Old 04-13-2004, 05:29 PM
2minis
6th Gear
No. Not worth it.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:10 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
2minis, is it legal to post a picture of Scion on NAM?

Like someone mentioned before, HK is a good alternative over the standard stereo if you choose not to do any aftermarket upgrade.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:23 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
It's worth it! And the cost will stay with the car through resale. (Of course you will never sell your MINI will you?) Really it's a great system. If you're really inclined you could save the money and buy comparable aftermarket gear and install it your self or pay some one to do it for you. You'd spend at least the $550 and probably more for a system that might be considered better by some but you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference...............mgg

Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
sleslie,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.

>>How much difference is there in the sound quality with the H. Kardon upgrade? Is it worth the additional $550.00?

The short answer is that for most people the stock radio/CD player is OK and will be OK. If you listen mostly to radio you will be fine. If you like music CD but never owned an expensive stereo you will be fine. Be sure to listen to some CDs that you know well WHILE you test drive the car with all the road noise. Decide for yourself.

If you own expensive home stereo stuff and have other cars with high end stereo then for $550 the HK option is not too bad at all. It is not perfect and lacks the clarity and punch (power) of an audiiophile system.

If you are on a budget but like better stereo sound then HK is a good choice. Again you must listen to the HK system with your CDs while driving to appreciate it.

I have spent alot of time behind the wheel with the standard stereo and HK. And I have a MINI with full audio upgrades.
The difference between the stock and HK systems is big. And the difference between the HK and full aftermarket audio upgrades is also big but that will cost anywhere from $1500 to $2500 installed. Essentially replace everything and add additional amps and sub with sound deadening material.

If you think you will upgrade your stereo then don't bother with the HK upgrade. Just get the stock stereo, try it out for awhile then upgrade later. I did find that limited upgrades like just the speakers or just the headunit or adding an amp were not enough of an improvement. If that is the case then the HK is a better option for $550 more.

So either keep the stock audio- no additional cost option. Or
add the HK for the best audio upgrade for limited funds.
Or go for the full audio upgrade and replace everything or nearly everything- all depends on your needs.
Trust your ears.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
I love my HK system! To me, it sounds just as good as a similarly-priced aftermarket system, and it looks better also! :smile:

Old 04-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Sideways
1st Gear
Have the HK, and to me (OK, I'm an "audio professional&quot it was definitely worth it.

A few points (wish I could remember where I read an excellent online review...)

1. The HK is well integrated into the MINI with channel / volume / input select controllable from the multifunction steering wheel. You don't get that with an aftermarket system.

2. The HK is specifically tuned to the interior acoustics of the MINI.
The result is a relatively transparent high fidelity system. If you
want to rattle all the doors in the neighborhood, then get a kilowatt
aftermarket system, but if you want clean, clear sound, the $550
is a good buy.

3. There are several modes available to simulate a huge hall,
optimize the imaging for the driver, etc. Basic tone & fader
controls are available through a menu system that isn't
too bad.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
IMO it is not worth it.

It is an improvement over the standard system, and it is an easy solution for most MINI customers.

Really what you need to do is bring in some CD's you are really familiar with and try both systems in cars at the dealership.

It is a great concept of a system, but I believe we are paying too much money for the HK name on the door speakers. From what I have read that HK does not actually manufacture any part of it (I could be wrong). I have only small experience with custom car audio, but many years of home audio/visual design experience. My experience is buy products that the company produces, or at least has direct control of quality.

I have it, am a bit of an audiophile, and will at least be replacing the front speakers with some Focal's.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:45 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
>>Like the HK, but find it a bit boomy on the base, which makes everything rattle in the car when cranked up and seems to lose high and mid range clarity. It doesn’t seem to compensate when you turn the volume up, so I still haven’t found a setting which I really like that works for everything.

I've never gone aftermarket with any of my car audio. The HK is the best "stock" unit I have found. It is basey but in the HK mode I just clicked the base down 3 clicks to the left, moved the treble 2 or 3 to the right and it suits my needs. I can here it going down the road windows down and sunroof open with little or no distortion.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
>>Like the HK, but find it a bit boomy on the base, which makes everything rattle in the car when cranked up and seems to lose high and mid range clarity. It doesn’t seem to compensate when you turn the volume up, so I still haven’t found a setting which I really like that works for everything. That being said the HK definitely sounds better than the standard stereo. Real shame it doesn't play MP3 encoded CDs since it is only a single slot CD player. I have the MP3 jack, which is great, but may go for the iPOD head-unit card next.
>>
>>I had a Bose in an Audi before which was stunning – so its got a lot to live up to. Best car stereo I’ve ever had (and now the wife’s got it )
>>
>>
>>_________________
>>MCS/IndiBlu/Stripes/Spots/Tons'oToys/hehe

i second the audi/bose comment. my '96 a4 had awesome sound. the mini hk? not as good, but definetly better than the stock in my opinion. plus, as many people mentioned, you won't have to mess with aftermarket stuff, which usually brings down the value of the car in the long run.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:00 PM
C4
Banned
Absolutely worth it. I have the HK stereo in my '04 MCS and it is 3 cuts above the standard CD Boost stereo in my other MINI, a '02 Cooper CVT.

The stereo is a matter of personal choice and preference. no one really can tell you which system will better fit your listening needs/wants until you try it for yourself.

bring a few of your favorites CDs and plan to spend at least an hour on a HK equipped MINI at your dealer. Then switch over to a non HK equipped MINI and see if the difference in audio quality is worth the extra expense to you.

I have never been into aftermarket stereos and don't like the idea of removing interior trim panels and cutting and splicing cables on a brand new car...but that's me.

I challenge most of the stereo aftermarket supporters to show me a stereo configuration that equals or surpasses the factory Harmon Kardon sound quality and features for the same or less money.....Oh and without losing valuable space, specially in the back....I am eager to read your responses...

Finally, here is an excellent Harmon Kardon stereo review written by a MINI owner over 1 year ago.....very comprehensive and gives you a detailed overview of all the features and capabilities of this excellent system:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2003/05/...SystemReviewed

Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
GMC
Banned
With the HK system you can only replace parts with HK bits from BMW. The sound may be solid, but if you plan on upgrading any of your stero bits then I wouldnt get the HK system on your cooper. Lets say you blow a speaker, you cannot run down to the audio store (best buy or whatever) and replace it with any speaker... you have to replace it with the HK speaker from BMW. That just doesnt seem worth it for me. You can invest that money in other stuff... just food for thought!

Old 04-19-2004, 10:53 AM
ExitZero
Neutral
I have committed to the H-K, and what I am looking for I am not finding. Does anyone know if the H-K CD player will play MP-3's that have been burned on a CD, or do I need to address that issue with an MP-3 player and the optional audio jack? Thanks much.....

Old 09-11-2004, 09:46 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do believe the 2005 H-K HU plays mp3 CD's. Jimbo

Old 09-11-2004, 09:54 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh yeah and I think the H-K is worth it, esp for us that wish not to change out our HU's for whatever reason. Guess I'm a "stockist," one who does not deviate much from OEM....

However when I test drove an MCSC today top down I noticed the H-K struggled to maintain decent volume with all the wind and supercharger and exhaust noise. So a more powerful aftermarket system might be in order here. J-bo