Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 + MINI Connected success!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone 5 + MINI Connected success!

(I hope I don't jinx myself with this post....)

I've had an issue with my iPhone 5 & MINI Connected since I purchased my iPhone 5 when it was released. A few days ago, it looks like I finally got MINI Connected to behave itself on my phone!

I was having the same problem that many seem to be having - MINI Connected starts up on the phone, runs for 5-10 minutes or so, then the program simply quits or acts like I disconnected the cable. It would only reconnect again after rebooting the phone, only to have it crap out again.

My iPhone is version 6.1. I see that there's now a v. 6.1.2, but I may hold up updating for a few days! The settings on my MINI read after the update "Multimedia: MX-003.005.004; Telephone: TX-003.005.005". I'm also using the OEM 'Y' cable with the Apple branded 30-pin to lightning 0.2 m cable adapter. My MINI is a 2012 R56 JCW w/ nav & MINI Connected.

I don't know what exactly fixed it, so here's everything that I did:

- Uninstalled MINI Connect
- Rebooted iPhone
- Reinstalled MINI Connect
- Rebooted iPhone
- Installed update from the BMW website (BMW Connected & MINI Connected apparently use the same 'backbone' software). Look here for the update. The file I downloaded and used to update was UPD01006.bin.

And that was it! It's been good for a few days now, including a few ~45 minute trips. Good luck, and I hope this helps!!

-Paul

Last edited by Paul!; 02-20-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I can report the same, with similar specs/vers. No problems.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:08 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Damn - installed the update - but no luck here :(

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Mountie
Neutral
For me it worked after reinstalling the app on my iPhone. The SW update on the Mini alone didn't do it.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tattedXB
Damn - installed the update - but no luck here :(
Originally Posted by Mountie
For me it worked after reinstalling the app on my iPhone. The SW update on the Mini alone didn't do it.
Definitely recommend uninstalling the app, rebooting, then reinstalling. That actually helped with a couple of different apps I had trouble with!

-Paul!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
ALex Reyen
1st Gear
Mine pretty much always worked for the MINI Apps through MINI Connected using the stock Y cable and the Iphone 5 adapter.

Unfortunately I cant for the life of me get any type of video out to work. Still pictures and stuff like that work fine, just no video at all.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:35 PM
speck47
1st Gear
That's because the iphone 5 adapter doesn't do video. Hopefully when Mini finally comes out with a lighting cable, video will be supported.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by speck47
That's because the iphone 5 adapter doesn't do video. Hopefully when Mini finally comes out with a lighting cable, video will be supported.
What surprises me is that we're 9 months after the iPhone5 was released and 7 since the adapter spec was released to 3rd parties and nobody has developed a cable that supports video/iPod out functionality...

Makes me wonder if the new standard doesn't have the needed pinout to support it...

There was a story a few months ago that the Apple video adapters weren't actually pulling video through the Lightning connection but actually had some form of AirPlay support inside the adapter...

Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
coastal-motoring
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
(I hope I don't jinx myself with this post....)

- Installed update from the BMW website (BMW Connected & MINI Connected apparently use the same 'backbone' software). Look here for the update. The file I downloaded and used to update was UPD01006.bin.

-Paul
How and what did this update? The iphone app or the car software?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
What surprises me is that we're 9 months after the iPhone5 was released and 7 since the adapter spec was released to 3rd parties and nobody has developed a cable that supports video/iPod out functionality...

Makes me wonder if the new standard doesn't have the needed pinout to support it...
It doesn't, not directly at least. It'll require a custom BMW/MINI hoop-dee-do y-cable with some sort of internal decoding solution built into the cable to support the video out functionality.

I'm not holding my breath.

-Paul

Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by coastal-motoring
How and what did this update? The iphone app or the car software?
The car software. It's actually on the MINI Connectivity website now:

http://www.mini.com/connectivity/sof...ate/index.html

There's directions on the website & your MINI manual, but the short of it is you download the update to a USB thumb drive, put said thumb drive in the USB port that the y-cable plugs into (NOT the one in the glovebox), and then update the software through the MINI Connected/Navigation settings screen.

-Paul

Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 AM
coastal-motoring
1st Gear
Thank you! I just picked up my car lastnight! When I plugged in the connect screen in the car said something like, no plugin

I'll try all your steps n see what software version is being used. Since the car was just built, I would assume, it has the newest, but...

Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Thank you! I just picked up my car lastnight! When I plugged in the connect screen in the car said something like, no plugin

I'll try all your steps n see what software version is being used. Since the car was just built, I would assume, it has the newest, but...
When my MINI was delivered it was two versions behind...

If you're using an iPhone5 you will still get "No Plugin Compatible Devices Detected" or a similar error even after the update. You can still use your iPhone5 with the MINI - you just can't use the "special" plugin enhanced interface...

Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 PM
coastal-motoring
1st Gear
Thanks for the help. I have the update loaded n everything seems to be working.

One thing, I get new text message alerts to show, but no email. Any ideas?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Thanks for the help. I have the update loaded n everything seems to be working.

One thing, I get new text message alerts to show, but no email. Any ideas?
I believe it has to do with how the e-mail notifications are set on your phone. I think you need to have the e-mail notification show up on your lock screen. I don't like getting e-mail notifications on my lock screen so I keep it off and suck up not seeing them on the Connected screen...

Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 AM
coastal-motoring
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
I believe it has to do with how the e-mail notifications are set on your phone. I think you need to have the e-mail notification show up on your lock screen. I don't like getting e-mail notifications on my lock screen so I keep it off and suck up not seeing them on the Connected screen...
I do have them show up on my lock screen. I wonder if it maybe the notification type? I'm mess around with different notices and see if I can get it to work.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
dumb question but just exactly how do I install the 1006 update file to my '13 MCS?