Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Getting to the Headunit (player) in an R50

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Lowell
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to the Headunit (player) in an R50

Much appreciate all info about installing an aux-port... Most of this info seems to center on the wiring but have not found much on simply getting to the back of the headunit (player) itself. My Bently manual is useless and I'm worried about breaking some of the plastic mount points when disassembling the fascia uprights, etc., among other things. For the ten years I've had my Mini this concern has kept me from hooking up an Aux port, but the time has finally come to install one. I've got an Aux-port kit (from Out Motoring) now and was hoping someone might have some instructions on how to disassemble the upright console to get to the headunit? Thanks.

Last edited by Lowell; 02-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
do you have the aux-input install instructions?

http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/NMI7647_INSTR.pdf

many people have installed this w/out removing the radio - having seen the picture from the install instructions you have an idea of what you're looking for and you CAN get your hand to the back side of the radio from the pass' side. If you can find the harness you should be able to find the empty socket for the aux' cable.

However if you must remove the radio ... you will pull the panel under the steering wheel down - it will pivot down from the back side - and open the glove box. Then remove the torx on the downtubes either side of the radio. Then they may slide down enuf to get them off, if not you'll need to loosen the center console to give yourself some more room. You don't need to remove the console, just get it loose.

Once you remove the downtube covers, you'll see the mounting screws for the radio....

but like I said you can get the aux in w/out doing this..... Know any other owners? Any of them have an aux in?

bring it by and I can put it in in about 3 minutes (not including mounting the other end)

Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Details can be found here (all interior bits) and here (head unit specific.)

Better yet, you can install it without removing the head unit at all (if you don't have Nav) by just removing the knee bolster and feeling for the empty spot in the bottom left corner of the head unit.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Lowell
1st Gear
Guys… Thanks for your references. I’ll definitely feel a lot better about diving into my console/dash with this info. FYI, I’m thinking of mounting the mini jack (port) half way up the inside of the right downtube for a more convenient access for both driver and passenger rather than the panel beneath the toggles (or the glove box). Any suggestions on iPod connect cables? I want to access the audio through the apple connector rather than the earbud jack and at the same time power/recharge it when in use…

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
you want the iPOD interface then ... not the aux input? (I'm not an iPOD person)

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...interface.html

lot's more $$

http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/NMI4405_INSTR_new.zip

Last edited by Capt_bj; 02-07-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Lowell
1st Gear
Capt Bj, have done the research... Interfaces are a headache to get running right and more of a bother than they are worth. However you can find everything from car docking stations right down to a straight apple connector with raw ends (w/ breakout schematics) and a wide variety of connection cables in between that are used with the headunit straight in aux port. FYI, among audiofiles the best audio is found through the apple connector, not the earbud jack. I am unsure about connecting the Apple connector power leads directly to a 12VDC source and possibly creating a noisy ground loop... Thanks for your suggestion though.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
groundloops are a very common problem on MINI - anytime sound and charging both connected it seems (search groundloop)

you'll be wanting an isolation transformer if you go this route I believe

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Better yet, you can install it without removing the head unit at all (if you don't have Nav) by just removing the knee bolster and feeling for the empty spot in the bottom left corner of the head unit.
I can vouch for the fact that this is surprisingly easy from the driver's side with the knee bolster or Euro Parcel Shelf removed. Having the picture of the back of the head unit helped a lot.

In my R50 I located the aux jack on the right side of the Euro Parcel Shelf, which worked out great.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowell
Guys… Thanks for your references. I’ll definitely feel a lot better about diving into my console/dash with this info. FYI, I’m thinking of mounting the mini jack (port) half way up the inside of the right downtube for a more convenient access for both driver and passenger rather than the panel beneath the toggles (or the glove box). Any suggestions on iPod connect cables? I want to access the audio through the apple connector rather than the earbud jack and at the same time power/recharge it when in use…
I've got an old Belkin setup that plugs into the/a cig lighter and uses the Apple connector, but I don't see one in the current Belkin line-up.
And if you need help with the aux-in, I'll be at Van Damme in May for ab diving.