Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio XM work with MINI OEM SIRIUS antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:27 PM
mudshark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM work with MINI OEM SIRIUS antenna?

I did a search on this and couldn't find an answer. When Blitzsafe finally comes out with their Skylink unit I'd like to get one for my MCS. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to make the Mini OEM Sirius antenna work with XM? It would be worth the extra money to have just one antenna.
Thanks,
Patrick

Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
jerij
2nd Gear
Patrick,

I'm not sure which leads the Skylink will require. When I installed my OEM Sirius in my Mini, the antenna had the appropriate "radio" connectors obviously. It also had 2 connectors to hook up to the Sirius receiver unit. My home portable unit only has 1 connector, but the Mini stock Sirius antenna has 2.

My guess would be if you can get the connectors to interface, it would work.

jerij

Old 04-01-2004, 09:02 PM
mudshark
1st Gear
jerij,
Thanks for the reply. I posted the same question on xmfan.com and got a reply that they work on different frequencies and it wouldn't work. If anyone else knows different please let me know. Another thought: Would it be possible to modify the oem Sirius antenna (change the guts to XM)?
Patrick

Old 04-02-2004, 05:53 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a possible option: VW has recently released a special edition New Beetle which includes XM radio capability. SeeHERE. The antenna is a roof top version, similar to the MINI Cooper's. I haven't seen a part number or a list price for it yet, but here is a picture of it:

Old 04-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
I'm just a little confused (my normal state): I thought XM was proprietary to the Delphi & Roady and Sirius had a whole different network. I've got the XM/Dephi setup in my car and it has it's own antenna. The Sirius system doesn't provide the XM newtwork... at least not to my knowledge...

Old 04-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Yfoiler
2nd Gear
Just a note: The XM "hockey puck" antenna works just fine centered on the front dash about half inch back from the glass. I get full quieting on the signal with no drop-outs AND it's hardly noticable. I'd hate to put a black antenna outside on my white roof!

Marty

Old 04-02-2004, 08:21 AM
mudshark
1st Gear
>>I'm just a little confused (my normal state): I thought XM was proprietary to the Delphi & Roady and Sirius had a whole different network. I've got the XM/Dephi setup in my car and it has it's own antenna. The Sirius system doesn't provide the XM newtwork... at least not to my knowledge...

Redleg13,
XM and Sirius are 2 different networks. BMW/Mini has signed up with Sirius for their audio systems. I am a fan of XM and I already have it in an aftermarket Sony headunit in my Toyota Tundra. I could just buy an XM direct unit with a Blitzsafe adapter and run it thru my stock Mini headunit and put the antenna on the dash like Marty suggested. I'm waiting for the Skylink cradle from Blitzsafe that enables you to use a Delphi Skyfi unit in the boot and be able to control it from the multi-function steering wheel controls. I could then take it out of the cradle and use it in the house, a boom box, my wife's car for only one extra subscription. As far as the antenna, I know that Mini makes a Sirius satellite antenna and I was looking to see if it could be modified to work with XM. In other words I want it all!

Kevin,
Thanks for the VW antenna suggestion. It looks like it might work.

Marty,
I currently have an all chili red MCS with a stock black antenna. If I could get the Mini Sirius antenna or that VW antenna (it looks silver, I'd paint it black, or since I'd have to paint it, maybe red) that might work the best. I agree I don't want the XM antenna behind the stock antenna. And putting it on the dash might be my only alternative.

Could someone post a picture of their Sirius antenna to compare with the VW picture here?
It would be interesting to see the similarities/differences.

Patrick

Old 04-02-2004, 10:11 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I currently have an all chili red MCS with a stock black antenna. If I could get the Mini Sirius antenna or that VW antenna (it looks silver, I'd paint it black, or since I'd have to paint it, maybe red) that might work the best.
>>

I'm pretty sure the VW antenna is black, not silver. The flash from the camera makes it look silver.

Here is a picture of the MINI Sirius antenna, pilfered from the 'net:

Old 04-02-2004, 12:32 PM
rcase13
4th Gear
>>I'm waiting for the Skylink cradle from Blitzsafe that enables you to use a Delphi >>Skyfi unit in the boot and be able to control it from the multi-function steering >>wheel controls. I could then take it out of the cradle and use it in the house

Intresting I haven't heard of this. I currently use the Roady but would be willing to switch for such an item. Did they say when it might be available. Where can I find more info on this? I couldn't find anything on the Blitzsafe site.

I too would be really intrested to know if the Sirius/MINI antenna will work with XM. I currently have the little Roady antenna right behind the factory antenna. Not bad, but would rather have the factory Sirius antenna.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 PM
mudshark
1st Gear
rcase13,
Here's the link you're looking for. I first heard about this about 11 months ago. Still waiting. Good thing I already have XM in my other vehicle.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=skylink

Thanks again Kevin

Patrick

Old 04-06-2004, 12:42 PM
speacock
1st Gear
>>
>>Here is a picture of the MINI Sirius antenna, pilfered from the 'net:
>>
>>

I recognize that picture. That would be my MINI.

XM and Sirius do run different networks. However they are on side by side frequencies, just like the cellular companies and the antennas are compatible. There are two styles of antenna and receivers, Dual coax cable and single coax cable. The MINI Sirius antenna and receiver are dual cable.

Sirius makes an adapter to connect dual cable receivers to single cable antennas but not the other way. Also I've read that you can connect a dual SkyFi cradle to a single antenna and it will work, just with an antenna error on screen.

I have swapped antennas between a XM Roady and a Kenwood H2A and they worked fine. Those were single coax receivers and antennas though. In short if the skylink cradle has dual connectors it should work with the MINI antenna.

Sean

Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
Interesting. I thought I saw that there are splitters now that the guy who runs xm411.com sells that allow you to use the single lead antennas with the dual lead receivers and it will not have the error. I might just have to do some more checking into this.

Just checked and there is no combiner to take the 2 leads and to go into one input. I guess teh other alternative is to get a look at a stock antenna and see if the guts of the Sirus antenna can be taken out an the shell of the base used to house one of the new small antennas like what come with the XM Direct or the other new XM receivers.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:06 PM
mudshark
1st Gear
>>>>
>>>>Here is a picture of the MINI Sirius antenna, pilfered from the 'net:
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>I recognize that picture. That would be my MINI.
>>
>>XM and Sirius do run different networks. However they are on side by side frequencies, just like the cellular companies and the antennas are compatible. There are two styles of antenna and receivers, Dual coax cable and single coax cable. The MINI Sirius antenna and receiver are dual cable.
>>
>>Sirius makes an adapter to connect dual cable receivers to single cable antennas but not the other way. Also I've read that you can connect a dual SkyFi cradle to a single antenna and it will work, just with an antenna error on screen.
>>
>>I have swapped antennas between a XM Roady and a Kenwood H2A and they worked fine. Those were single coax receivers and antennas though. In short if the skylink cradle has dual connectors it should work with the MINI antenna.
>>
>>Sean

Sean.
I just checked a Skyfi installation pdf and it shows the xm antenna connecting into the Skyfi car cradle with a tan(sat) lead and a green(ter) lead. Would these leads work with the Mini Sirius antenna?
Thanks,
Pat

Lee ,
I thought about doing the same thing if connecting the leads doesn't work.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
speacock
1st Gear
I just found this on Google:

Delphi PDF Article

It appears the intent was to make the antennas compatible. My system uses the Sirius spec Blue & White Fakra connectors as opposed to the Green/Curry XM connectors. Big Picture

If you remove the plastic shroud the connectors will fit. It would be an interesting test. Unfortunately all I have access to is a relative's XM Roady which is single coax.

Sean

Old 04-16-2004, 07:16 AM
sipde
Neutral
The frequencies are different between the 2 services and the Sirius antenna isn't compatible with the XM service.