Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio New Head Unit... Questions!

Old 01-07-2004, 02:37 PM
pmilla1606
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What up everyone...
alright, ive been wanting to do this for a while now; i want to switch my stock cd/radio unit for something else, something like this

Sony CDX-MP70

this one caught my attention first of all because i can change the backlight to an orange very similar to the lights of my dash and second because it plays mp3's.

i think $399 is quite a bit, but hopefully worth it.
Any opinions about this unit? anyone have it? pros/cons ? just give me anything. please.

and my second question is about the install; removing the stock unit is no problem for me but i want to know how the wiring works: is there one standard layout for car stereos? will i need some sort of converter bracket to go from the car to the new unit? please explain.

any help is greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance,

peter

Old 01-07-2004, 02:51 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have the MFSW?

Old 01-07-2004, 02:53 PM
npartist
4th Gear
It looks cool. I did a search on yahoo shopping (where I always go for best prices) and found it for $249 at This SITE Just incase you want it cheaper, there a many other sites too but this one has free shipping! just my 2 cents. :smile:

Old 01-07-2004, 02:57 PM
pmilla1606
2nd Gear
MFSW? sorry, i have no clue what your talkin about. explain please
and npartist, thanks alot for that, of course i want it cheaper!

thanks again,
peter

Old 01-07-2004, 09:05 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
MFSW = Multi-Function Steering Wheel. In other words do you have the steering wheel buttons that control the stereo?

You'll need a facia adapter, and harness adapter, and an aerial adapter. You can get these from this web site. Look for the "Radio Fitting kit" that includes all three items.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:11 AM
minivan
1st Gear
>>What up everyone...
>>alright, ive been wanting to do this for a while now; i want to switch my stock cd/radio unit for something else, something like this
>>
>>Sony CDX-MP70
>>
>>this one caught my attention first of all because i can change the backlight to an orange very similar to the lights of my dash and second because it plays mp3's.
>>
>>i think $399 is quite a bit, but hopefully worth it.
>>Any opinions about this unit? anyone have it? pros/cons ? just give me anything. please.
>>
>>and my second question is about the install; removing the stock unit is no problem for me but i want to know how the wiring works: is there one standard layout for car stereos? will i need some sort of converter bracket to go from the car to the new unit? please explain.
>>
>>any help is greatly appreciated,
>>thanks in advance,
>>
>>peter

I've got this unit and I love it... The install was very straight forward just go buy yourself an adapter harness that plugs in to the factory adaptor, this seperates all the wires so there is no guessing which ones go to where. After you have this it's all just matching up the wires from the adapter harness to the units harness and you're all set. As for intalling the unit itself, there is a DIY on taking out the factory radio somewhere in this site it's not hard if it only took me about half an hour to put everything in. Just a tip when you connect your wires together, try to get access to a soldering iron if you do not already have one and solder the wires that you are matching up so that you have a good solid connection and then wrap it up with electical tape. Hope that answers your question.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:28 AM
BSquared
Neutral
If you're interested in a look that is in keeping with the Cooper (I'm gathering that from your desire to have the Orange backlighting) you might want to check out some of the new Blaupunkts. I was just looking at their site and they have some cool new products out that have a look in keeping with the stock unit.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:47 AM
alexp206
1st Gear
I agree that soildering is the best option, but it can be a hassle in the car. I find that inline crimp connectors work just fine, and they are easy to use. You have to spend some money on the crimpers, but they are a great thing to have around. You might be able to borrow someones if you don't want to buy them. Heck, you can use pliars if you really want to. As far as the wiring, the colors on the wiring harness and the plug that comes with the sony should be the same so you just have to match them up and then plug it in. If you purchase the head unit from say, Crutchfield, they will generally sell you all the wiring and dash kits you need.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 AM
pmilla1606
2nd Gear
thanks alot everyone. you guys have been a great help. i think i might go ahead and do that this weekend.
ill check out the blaupunkts first though.

thanks again everyone,

peter