Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Underseat holes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM
vicj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underseat holes

Hello...hoping someone can help. I tried a search, to no avail. Does anyone have pictures of the under-seat "compartments" in the floor the R56's are supposed to have? I think I've found a suitable sub for a TINY enclosure, but hope to see pics before taking out my seats.

TIA

Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
it got to be TINY. even the Bass600 and those other small 2.5" tall self amplified subs supposedly do not fit under the seats..

best ive got from my armrest install:

your in the first gen section too by the way.

Last edited by iwashmycar; 12-20-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A note for you on the under seat compartments.

The drivers side (left hand drive models) holds a few modules for the operation of the car. So there is very little room for anything under there.

Ont eh passenger side there is one module for the restraint system that CAN NOT be moved as it senses the direction of travel of the car. The other possible module is the SAT receiver (if installed).

As for dimmensions the sub box would have to be no larger than about 10.5"L x 8.25"W x 2.5"H. That is the size of my amp under the passenger seat and it just barely fits height wise.

There is very little height there for a sub.

Here is a picture of my amp in the compartment under the passenger seat. When the cover is placed back on it bulges so there must be less than 2.5" of height when the cover is there normally and with the cover bulging there is less than 1/4" from the cover to the underside of the seat. Add those two dimensions together and you still have less than 3" to play with for height.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
I agree with everything said here, except ...

What the under front seat space limits suggested I needed to do is review my priorities for use of the interior of the car. In the end, my rear seat is going to go (rear seat delete) as I would use it at most less than 1% of the time to carry people and would rather have the space available to increase capacity to carry stuff.

That frees up the rear seat foot wells for stereo equipment. Using the rear seat footwell area I can fit an Alpine MRP F-300 partially under the drivers seat (with full drivers seat travel) and a Sound Ordinance 8-BT Powered Sub partially under the passenger's seat with nearly full passenger seat travel. The Sound Ordinance is almost identical in dimensions to the Bass600.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...m-upgrade.html

So ask yourself like I did, "How do I plan to use the interior of my MINI?"

Tom

Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
howie289
2nd Gear
Do you think adding 1/2" spacers under the seat tracks and longer bolts would leave enough room for a subwoofer under the passenger seat?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by howie289
Do you think adding 1/2" spacers under the seat tracks and longer bolts would leave enough room for a subwoofer under the passenger seat?
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Ont eh passenger side there is one module for the restraint system that CAN NOT be moved as it senses the direction of travel of the car. The other possible module is the SAT receiver (if installed).
sounds like a no

Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
On the driver side the ULF bluetooth module is installed there. If you don't have bluetooth is probably empty. On the pass side the DSC module (if equipped) as well as the SAT radio tuner (if equipped). If you have none of those options, the under seat cavities will be empty. The carpet/plastic lids vary by year. But if you don't have those modules you can cut the carpet out (I had to do it to retrofit the bluetooth module). The cavity is about 3 inches deep and maybe a 12" by 14." There is a styrofoam block you need to remove. You can buy the plastic lids and compartments to install for the full factory look.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
On the driver side the ULF bluetooth module is installed there. If you don't have bluetooth is probably empty. On the pass side the DSC module (if equipped) as well as the SAT radio tuner (if equipped). If you have none of those options, the under seat cavities will be empty. The carpet/plastic lids vary by year. But if you don't have those modules you can cut the carpet out (I had to do it to retrofit the bluetooth module). The cavity is about 3 inches deep and maybe a 12" by 14." There is a styrofoam block you need to remove. You can buy the plastic lids and compartments to install for the full factory look.
On ALL North American Models there is a Yaw Sensor under the Passenger seat that MUST NOT be moved. The compartment is NOT empty. As for the Drivers side there is a bluetooth/ULF module but there could also be two other depending on options and model.

Also the compartment is not 3" deep it is less than 2-1/2" deep as shown by the fact that an Alpine PDX-5 is 2-1/2" high and it bulges the cover when put back over the Alpine PDX-5. Also the space between the seat frame and the cover is less than 1/2' when the seat is in the full down position. Thus not even allowing for 3 full inches under the seat.

This is why the Boss Bass600's do not fit under the seat. They are 2.8" tall.

Last edited by schatzy62; 12-21-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
On ALL North American Models there is a Yaw Sensor under the Passenger seat that MUST NOT be moved. The compartment is NOT empty. As for the Drivers side there is a bluetooth/ULF module but there could also be two other depending on options and model.

Also the compartment is not 3" deep it is less than 2-1/2" deep as shown by the fact that an Alpine PDX-5 is 2-1/2" high and it bulges the cover when put back over the Alpine PDX-5. Also the space between the seat frame and the cover is less than 1/2' when the seat is in the full down position. Thus not even allowing for 3 full inches under the seat.

This is why the Boss Bass600's do not fit under the seat. They are 2.8" tall.
I know this thread is a year old but it was better than starting a new thread.

What options would one have to have to have a module under the seat? My JCW has DSC so there was the yaw sensor under the passenger's seat but I haven't had a chance to pull the driver's seat. As for options I don't have BT, iPod, or HK in my car.

Any help is much appreciated.