Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio HK Package. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Mark937
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the very early stages of putting together my dream Mini. Is the HK package really worth it? What more does it have than the regular system. Also, I am looking to get an ICE-Link (or whatever it's called) to control my iPod from the MFSW controls. Would that mod still work with the HK setup? Your replys are greatly appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

-Mark

Old 11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this thread called "Is the HK system worth it?". Tons of great pearls of wisdom are there.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:19 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I am in the very early stages of putting together my dream Mini. Is the HK package really worth it? What more does it have than the regular system. Also, I am looking to get an ICE-Link (or whatever it's called) to control my iPod from the MFSW controls. Would that mod still work with the HK setup? Your replys are greatly appreciated. Thanks. :smile:
Mark937,
Aloha and welcome to NAM,
Compared to the stock audio the H/K is a good $550 US dollar upgrade but not to the level of aftermarket expensive full audio upgrades.

Best measure is for you to take a music CD that you know well and play it in the MINI with stock audio and with H/K while driving (noisy environment). See what you think. If the stock audio sound is good enough then you save money but if you really like the sound of the H/K then pick that option. If you are in the UK you can change out your in dash radio to several options that are also very good made by SONY. That is not available for us in the US.

There are many threads in the audio section about the H/K and is it worth it. Try searching.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 AM
mokeefe
2nd Gear
I really enjoy the system. But as with anything open to personal tastes and opinions, listen to it yourself and decide.

I believe the iPod ICE-link works, but I hear it is $200. I'd rather install just the Aux port and control the iPod with my hands.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
I opted not to get the HK system based on the following reasons:

1.) The premium HK system in my BMW M Roadster was terrible (and many on BMW Forums agreed with that sentiment).

2.) The number of aftermarket options is staggering. I can choose a system based on previewing it, and in my experience, 9 times out of 10 the aftermarket choices sound better than factory ones (This includes the HK mentioned in #1 and my "Premium" Bose speakers in my special edition Miata).

3.) I want to put larger speakers than the existing holes permit. 5 1/4 is too small for me so I'm going to have the speaker holes cut extra to accomodate a 6.5" driver.

4.) I'd like to add DVD with surround and center channels. This will require me to find a way to place a center channel speaker in the dash. This spear will be timbre matched to the L and R speakers, none of which I could accomplish with factor OEM speakers from HK or otherwise.

Well that's it for now. We'll see how things go once my baby arrives late this month.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:14 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
OHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAH

Old 11-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Mark937
1st Gear
Thanks for all the reponses people! I was also wondering if there are any defects in them?

Thanks!
-Mark

Old 11-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
No defects so far.

Someone probably already said it, and since I havent read their responses I'll say it. What do you want. Do you want to be a little high school kid and shake the car and other cars to pieces, or do you want a system that's got plenty of bass for the average joe and good sound quality (even for me, who listens only to rap).

Go here

Old 11-07-2003, 05:54 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>3.) I want to put larger speakers than the existing holes permit. 5 1/4 is too small for me so I'm going to have the speaker holes cut extra to accomodate a 6.5" driver.

Many of us have put 6.5" speakers in the doors. You don't need to cut the speaker holes bigger, just make a spacer to bring the speaker out more. There's room behind the speaker grill for this. Here's a pic showing the spacers I made:

Old 11-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Skoobeedu
Banned
As I understand only HK products can be purchased from BMW or the dealer. Also you cannot switch out parts... example.. you want to change the deck... you cannot have that work with the speakers etc.... If youre in the US i would stop by a best buy store and ask one of the audio techs there... They will be able to advise much better.... They're professionals. Hope this little bit helps....

Old 11-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Mark937
1st Gear
Thanks for the great responses! I spend alot of time in a bad part of town, I've had my aftermarket stereos stolen, even without the faceplate on them! I want the stock stereo, so it isn't a target. It looks like I am going to get the HK. I still have to drive up to the dealer in Phoenix and listen to it. Thanks again.