Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio How do you all strap down your amps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
juchong
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you all strap down your amps?

hey everyone! I'm about to go outside and mess with the amp under the passenger seat, but what do you all do to hold the amp in place? I'm installing a PDX-5, so its substantially smaller than my current one. Any ideas?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by war6763
hey everyone! I'm about to go outside and mess with the amp under the passenger seat, but what do you all do to hold the amp in place? I'm installing a PDX-5, so its substantially smaller than my current one. Any ideas?
I used body moulding tape (sticky on both sides) to hold it in place and then when the cover goes back on the well it holds it down real well as the cover pushes down on the top of the amp (PDX-5).

Not that you can see the tape but here is how it is mounted in my car. Scroll down to see the 4th picture.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...155-post4.html

Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
sdbluemini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by war6763
WHAT SPEAKERS AND SIZE DID YOU USE ON YOUR PDX-5

Old 07-12-2009, 02:40 PM
juchong
3rd Gear
I've got Focal Access 165 A 1's in the front and a pair of 690 CA 1 's in the back. The rears take a max of 150W RMS is 75 W. The fronts take 120W peak and 60W RMS.

Since the amp outputs 75W RMS @ 4 ohm, its perfect for the speakers. My amp was rated at 101W on the four channels and 424 on the mono channel on the individual testing certificate. The gain on the amp is almost at 0, so its working out fine for me.

I'm waiting to get my new DQL-8 and sub box from urbanmini.com so I can wrap up the install.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Instead of double sided stickey tape why not use some industrial strength and sized velcro? I did and its nice and sturdy and will be even nicer if I have to service removals.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
irmiger
1st Gear
Hey war6763,

I mounted my PDX-1.600 under the passenger seat using velcro. I used two strips of 2" wide heavy-duty velcro tape with adhesive backing. It seems to be keeping the amp in place just fine (despite all my agro driving ).

BTW, I got your order and the box is progressing nicely. I'll send you a shipping update when we're done carpeting. Looking forward to seeing some pics when it's all said and done!

James

Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
pcap
Neutral
Originally Posted by schatzy62

Not that you can see the tape but here is how it is mounted in my car. Scroll down to see the 4th picture.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...155-post4.html

schatzy62,
From what I see, you installed the amp in the "secret compartment" beneath the passenger seat. Very nice. Two questions:

1. I have read that this is the place for the DSC. Therefore if out MCS has DSC, this space will probably not be empty. I have ASC but no DSC. Will this compartment be "empty"?

2. Do you remember the dimensions of the compartment? It might be a good place for a sub such as the Boss Bass600... just thinking out loud..

Please don't bite my head off for going off subject...

Last edited by pcap; 07-15-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pcap
schatzy62,
From what I see, you installed the amp in the "secret compartment" beneath the passenger seat. Very nice. Two questions:
Welcome to NAM, is ee this is your first post. Just to let you know the space below the seats is not called the secret compartment that is pretty much reserved for the upper dash compartment above the glove box, the one that opens when you push on it. It is standard on US and Canada models but an option on many other countries.

1. I have read that this is the place for the DSC. Therefore if out MCS has DSC, this space will probably not be empty. I have ASC but no DSC. Will this compartment be "empty"?
I have the DSC as standard and there is one small module in there. this compartment is also where they put the SAT Radio receiver. IF you have sat then there will be very little space in this compartment. If you do not have SAT radio then then the only module in there should be rather small, it is actually hidden by one of the crossovers in the picture you looked at.

2. Do you remember the dimensions of the compartment? It might be a good place for a sub such as the Boss Bass600... just thinking out loud..
It is only about 2-1/4inches in depth with the cover and only 2-5/8" with the cover removed before hitting parts of the seat adjustment mechanism. so it is doubtful that the BASS 600 would fit as it is 2.8" (2-3/4" +) thick. But even if it did fit height wise i do not think it would fit other wise as area is only about 8.5" wide by 12.5" long. The Bass 600 is larger than that at 9.8 x 13.7. and there is still a module in there.

Please don't bite my head off for going off subject...
On worries. not that far off subject.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
I have a 2009 JCW with DTC, Bluetooth, and ELSD and had PLENTY of room under the passenger seat compartment. The space is unbelievable HUGE: like 12x12x3 inches or MORE!!

I've also heard that SAT radio consumes majority of the space otherwise.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:07 AM
juchong
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by irmiger
Hey war6763,

I mounted my PDX-1.600 under the passenger seat using velcro. I used two strips of 2" wide heavy-duty velcro tape with adhesive backing. It seems to be keeping the amp in place just fine (despite all my agro driving ).

BTW, I got your order and the box is progressing nicely. I'll send you a shipping update when we're done carpeting. Looking forward to seeing some pics when it's all said and done!

James
Awesome! I've already got some pictures of today and my Dynamatting (Fat Mat?) adventures! The car is ready for the box, all that needs to be done is to find some nice, heavy duty wire (12 gauge?) and connect it to the amp. I'll definitely have some pics up for ya!! Here's the flickr set so far...

Oh, and mounting the amp isn't an issue now... But now I'm wondering what mounting the DSP will be like... we'll see...

schatzy62,

Probably, but even if it isn't, the space is huge... good enough for a good 2 channel class b amp, or a bad-*** class d amp with room to spare. I know there's at least 13 inches under there from right to left facing the engine if you have that accelerometer under there. About 16 or maybe even 18 if you don't. also, about 12 inches in the other direction (y-axis).

Old 08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
mike_wassell
1st Gear
I started out by using the MINI head unit (HU). I had my installer put two JL Audio “Slash” amps (4/300 and 1/500 slash series) under the front seats. There is 2” of insulation under the front sets so he cut out the insulation in the shape of the amps and mounted them flush. They look sweet flush mounted flush. Then he installed two pair of JL Audio C2 6.5” component speakers and a 13” JL Audio (13 TW5) thin sub in the rear hatch well.

I could not stand the quality of the sound. The head unit sounded terrible and attenuated the low bass signal. So I installed an Alpine 9886 in the secret compartment. I changed out the JL Audio C2 6.5” component sets for a focal 6.5” (165 KR) component sets. I tuned the system with the Alpine Imprint system and it sounds incrediable.

The 13 TW5 is a great sub for the MINI and will mount flush in the bottom of the hatch with the factory recommended volume sized box. I can’t say enough about the focal speakers. Alpine head unit – what can I say and JL Audio amps and sub. I don’t have a lot of experience but have not heard a better sound quality system.