Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 08 iPod Interface... :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 iPod Interface... :(

So I picked up my MINI Clubman last week and love everything about it BUT the ipod sound quality. I have the premium stereo with ipod/bluetooth interface and the sound when the stereo is turned up loud is awful, it distorts quite a bit.

In my old car I had a Belkin power booster that charged through the lighter socket and used the aux. The quality was amazing for a little $50 hook up. I can use that in my MINI but obviously that would defeat the purpose of having the ipod USB aux that was $500+ to install. I love the interaction through my steering wheel and stereo controls but the sound is sorely lacking.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I missed? Or a cob-job solution for getting better sound, especially bass. The CD and radio sound fantastic!!

I'm looking at CD players w/ipod interface now on bestbuy.com but hoping it doesn't have to come to this?!

Help! :( :(

Last edited by laurendesigns; 03-28-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM
jw34
6th Gear
I don't know how the USB iPod is adjusted through the stereo but there are settings for using the AUX plug. Are there any for the iPod input? I'd start there. Look in your stereo manual. Check if the iPod has any EQ settings set. This "may" cause issues.

Last edited by jw34; 03-28-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Can't find any settings for the iPod other then the aux settings....they don't help.

Trying to see if there is something I'm missing! I sure hope to find a fix...

Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM
DanH
1st Gear
I use the USB iPod in my Clubman, with no issues other than once and awhile the connection is bad and I have to reconnect the device.

I have an 80gb Classic with over 350 albums. Trying to move around via the radio controls is almost impossible. I find the album on the iPod first, then connect to the car.

I set the iPod's EQ to Flat. All the MP3s are recorded at 192 kpbs or higher. This makes a difference too.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:25 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
How do you set an ipods EQ? I assume in the main settings on the ipod itself? I have never had to play with these....

Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Well if you never set them then they might not be an issue. In the Main iPod menu there's an option for EQ. If you don't see it then you have to turn on that option in the other settings to determine what shows in the Main menu. Once you can get to the EQ setting there are a bunch of options for different types of music and listening prefs. They do have an effect on the iPod sound.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by laurendesigns
So I picked up my MINI Clubman last week and love everything about it BUT the ipod sound quality. I have the premium stereo with ipod/bluetooth interface and the sound when the stereo is turned up loud is awful, it distorts quite a bit.

In my old car I had a Belkin power booster that charged through the lighter socket and used the aux. The quality was amazing for a little $50 hook up. I can use that in my MINI but obviously that would defeat the purpose of having the ipod USB aux that was $500+ to install. I love the interaction through my steering wheel and stereo controls but the sound is sorely lacking.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I missed? Or a cob-job solution for getting better sound, especially bass. The CD and radio sound fantastic!!

I'm looking at CD players w/ipod interface now on bestbuy.com but hoping it doesn't have to come to this?!

After a few weeks with my Clubman and the HiFi system I think it's plain awful as far as sound quality goes. I don't have the Ipod interface but when I connect my iphone through the AUX input I think it sounds just as bad as music through the radio. Not sure wheter it's the factory amp or the factory speakers (more likely) that is so god awful but sound quality is just terrible IMO. Your not going to find an aftermarket headunit for this car with the integration of the stock radio in the Speedometer.

My plan is to replace all the factory speakers first with something of quality from JL audio. If that doesn't work then I'll resort to a factory sound processor and an amp or two.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
...thanks for the EQ info jw34...I did play with that a little and it helped. I had nothing set for it so was able to boost the bass a little.

rdeppen, I do agree that the sound system is a little lacking. I'd love to have a better one but already sunk $1000 into it :(. Maybe next year...last time I replaced an audio system in my car I spent well, wellll over a grand!

If you replace it and its much better let me know...I'd be curious as to how much you had to invest to up the quality...

Old 03-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Lorne_K2
2nd Gear
Try this...

Hmmm, I have a Clubman coming in a few weeks, and I hope the sound isn't as bad as you describe! Yikes. Do you have the "premium" sound or the standard sound system?

Also, what you're describing often happens when you connect an external device (like an iPod) via its headphone out jack and are "overdriving" the input to the main stereo. For example, if you have the iPod connected to the input on the Mini, and have the sound turned all the way UP on the iPod, the input on the Mini is being "overdriven" and will sound worse the louder you turn up the stereo.

Now I have to apologize (no Mini yet), but can you turn down the output volume on the iPod, and see if that improves the sound coming out of your stereo? I find with my other cars setting the iPod loudness at like 75-80% gives the best results... Essentially it's like you have two volume controls and have to find a happy medium.

Of course, I don't have a Mini yet and I could be full of &*#$!

Hope that's of some help...

Old 03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Well Lorne, overall, I'd say the premium stereo quality is good, but not excellent. All the cars I've owned have had factory stereos, the "premium" kind and all have been decent but not top notch.

I started playing around more with aux, ipod and EQ settings and it is better. You are right about finding that "happy medium"...lots and lots of fiddling around! I have my dealer looking into it too...

I'll keep you posted! You must be so excited, your MINI is almost here

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Diamond_Joe_Quimby
2nd Gear
it may be the quality of your music files... Try encoding at a higher rate and then see if that makes a difference.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Like I said over in the OL, I've had no problems at all with my iPhone or iPods. Other than a few bad sounding files my daughter downloaded, everything sounds fine. I was just playing Beyonce's "Irreplaceable" at flat settings and with the bass and treble up 2 at pretty high levels and it sounds great. I'm also sure y'all know, due to compression of mp3 files, they won't sound as good as CD. One thing I found out today, the iPhone won't work when it is plugged in so it just turns into an iPod.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:51 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
How come "flat" sounds so flat and unappealing

I'll try that one...have played with a huge mix of settings tonight but not the flat. Sound is getting better so feeling a little more at ease!

Thanks for all your replies, this board rocks

Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I was just playing Beyonce's "Irreplaceable" at flat settings and with the bass and treble up 2 at pretty high levels and it sounds great..
I'm sorry.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
LOL Tim! Thanks for the chuckle

Where are the picts of the new clubbie?!

Last edited by laurendesigns; 03-29-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lorne_K2
Also, what you're describing often happens when you connect an external device (like an iPod) via its headphone out jack and are "overdriving" the input to the main stereo.
If you are not getting USB or the iPod adapter make sure you get one of these cables to connect. They make a big difference in the sound. Don't connect via the headphone jack!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My experience with the HIFI system in an R56 is that some songs sound fine, and others distort badly. Seemed hard to predict. I solved the problem by replacing the stock speakers with Infinity Kappas. There may be other speakers that are better, but these fit the specs pretty well and are a great improvement over stock for a decent price. A straight speaker swap is the best bang-for-the-buck improvement you can make to the HIFI.

If you want to check whether the problem is with your iPod or the HIFI itself, burn an mp3 CD of the same songs and at the same encoding as your iPod. Play the mp3 CD back-to-back with the iPod. If there is a difference between the two, you need to fix something with the iPod or its connection. If they are the same, you probably need to swap out the speakers.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Tim, "Irreplaceable", which isn't a bad song, was just being used as a test song. I only listen to that type of music when my family rides with me. That song has a pretty good range from strong bass to high treble which was good for the test. Alright, I'll admit it. I always sing the "box to the left" part.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
How much are we looking at to replace the speakers? I figured that was my next step in a few months once I recover from my "accessorizing to the max"!!

I'd like to get the front first and I'm looking into the kappas (see all the good reviews on them). Being a little out of the loop and of course not completely knowing my MINI yet what do I need for the front? I have the premium system.

Robin, please advise so I can get these installed at some point and know what I'm talking about

Last edited by laurendesigns; 03-30-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Diamond_Joe_Quimby
2nd Gear
How much are we looking at to replace the speakers? I figured that was my next step in a few months once I recover from my "accessorizing to the max"!!

I'd like to get the front first and I'm looking into the kappas (see all the good reviews on them). Being a little out of the loop and of course not completely knowing my MINI yet what do I need for the front? I have the premium system.

Robin, please advise so I can get these installed at some point and know what I'm talking about
see here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=95211

and also here for Robin's swap out:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=129939

Last edited by Diamond_Joe_Quimby; 03-30-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What you pay depends on where you get them. I bought the rear 6x9 speakers from Crutchfield because I wanted their advice. However, I'm not too happy with the advice I received.

The front speakers were bought from Globazar, through Amazon.com for much better prices. I didn't have any problems with Globazar. It seems that Amazon sells Kappas through Crutchfield and Globazar. So, check the vendor if you go through Amazon.

With the mix of prices I ended up paying about $410 including shipping.

You need 6" and 4" speakers plus tweeters for the front.
I used Infinity Kappa 42.7i 4" 2-way car speakers, and Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 6-1/2" component speaker system. The 60.7cs have woofers, separate crossovers, and tweeters. The woofer goes in the large speaker location in the door. This is where the HIFI system sends all the bass. I didn't use the crossover. Not sure if it would help the woofer or not.

The tweeter goes in the A pillar.

On the 42.7i, I did not connect the tweeters. IMO, the A pillars cover that.

You should definitely read through all of these threads:

Originally Posted by Diamond_Joe_Quimby

Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the info, I found everything I need online......now if I can just find someone who knows how to install them Don't think I'd let just anyone rip apart my new Clubman!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
Tim, "Irreplaceable", which isn't a bad song, was just being used as a test song. I only listen to that type of music when my family rides with me. That song has a pretty good range from strong bass to high treble which was good for the test. Alright, I'll admit it. I always sing the "box to the left" part.
Just teasing. I actually like the Spanish version of this song, mostly because I can't understand what she's singing about.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
LOL Tim! Thanks for the chuckle

Where are the picts of the new clubbie?!
Here's a couple in my gallery: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/2457

Did you post any pics of your skull graphics?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Tim, it is a beautiful car! With the smile I see on you know who, I think you made a good choice with the re-order.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio 08 iPod Interface... :(