Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 08 iPod Interface... :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, she definitely thinks it's a beautiful car.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by laurendesigns
Thanks for all the info, I found everything I need online......now if I can just find someone who knows how to install them Don't think I'd let just anyone rip apart my new Clubman!

Before you swap the speakers, take the car back to the dealer and have them fix it. There should be no distortion problems if playing the iPod through the USB connector (as mentioned by others, the preamp can be overdriven by the iPod if you are connecting the audio output (iPod) to the aux input).

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
diablito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhoboy
Before you swap the speakers, take the car back to the dealer and have them fix it. There should be no distortion problems if playing the iPod through the USB connector (as mentioned by others, the preamp can be overdriven by the iPod if you are connecting the audio output (iPod) to the aux input).
+1....

Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 AM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
I am in touch with the dealer and they are looking into it. He told me that the premium hi-fi systems tend to "distort at higher volumes" and that they are good with "medium volumes" but not perfect turned up!

Yikes, not good since I blast my music.

Looking into a bigger amp, or swap out of speakers...they are getting back to me soon!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I am in touch with the dealer and they are looking into it. He told me that the premium hi-fi systems tend to "distort at higher volumes" and that they are good with "medium volumes" but not perfect turned up!
If that were the case, you should experience the same problem when you are playing a CD. I don't buy their explanation. Premium systems generally have a better amp/preamp match that minimizes full volume distortion. My non-premium system doesn't distort noticeably at full volume regardless of music source.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
fbirch
2nd Gear
Sound quality is actually pretty good

I just picked up my car with Hi-Fi and the iPod adpater (non USB), and I was surprised by the good sound quality after reading all the criticism of the Mini Hi-Fi system. I can increase the volume to the point where it is uncomfortably loud and there is no perceptible distortion with the iPod as the music source. The radio sound quality is somewhat mediocre, but I have to say that the sound from the iPod adapter is very good. I previously had an '04 MCS with the old Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi and the old AUX-input for iPod play. While I think the old HK might have been a bit better than the new Hi-Fi overall, the sound quality of the new system through the iPod adapter is significantly better than than the old one. The head unit control of the iPod (non-Nav) is also very fast, intuitive and effective. I had low expectations after reading all the criticisms, but I'm really happy with this aspect of my new Mini.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Nick_G
2nd Gear
If you get distortion another thing to check is the input level on the mini's stereo. After you select iPod under the audio menu, one of the buttons is for level. I believe it is marked Lev this selects the input volume on the mini's head unit. Make sure it is set on the lowest setting.
Hope this helps with any distortion issues.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Lauren is having all new speakers and an amp installed today. I've decided not to use the ipod at all, and now I'm just using a USB flash drive. I still plan on getting new speakers though.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
poyzin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Lauren is having all new speakers and an amp installed today. I've decided not to use the ipod at all, and now I'm just using a USB flash drive. I still plan on getting new speakers though.
You won't believe the difference swapping out the front speakers makes. Be sure to ask for the old speakers back. They are laughable.

poyzin

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
Hi , guys just read thru this thread . Can you tell me what is displayed on radiohead unit with the Ipod adapter. Can the Ipod be controled from the multifunction steering wheel controls ?

Does the standard radio operate the same as the HIFI radio with the Ipod.

Does the standard radio and HIFI radio when using FM radio display song titles and Artists ?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 AM
chili s
2nd Gear
Remeber that iPods also have an internal equalizer. If you set it to a heavy base or funky setting you'll transfer the souond to the MINI through the input.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hubs
Hi , guys just read thru this thread . Can you tell me what is displayed on radiohead unit with the Ipod adapter. Can the Ipod be controled from the multifunction steering wheel controls ?
When I am using mine, it says IPOD on the left side of the display, and then in the middle in shows the tittle of the song being played. Under this it has buttons for selecting Genre, and albums.....also a track button, which will allow you to see song title, album title, and artist.....a random button....and a level button.

The MFSW allows you to skip to the next song, and increase/decrease volume. I am a little disappointed with that, since my truck has steering wheel controls that allow me to change radio bands, from CD to Radio to XM, change track, change volume and change CD1 to CD2, etc. I was hoping that the MINI would have this type of control system, but alas.....no...

I am also very happy with the sound quality. I need to change the settings on my IPOD though, so that the output music all has the same level....about got blown out of the vehicle when flipping through songs yesterday.

I am also very happy with the quality of th

Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Yikes, not good since I blast my music.

Looking into a bigger amp, or swap out of speakers...they are getting back to me soon!
Make sure of one thing: that you aren't connecting your iPod's headphone jack to the car's aux input. Get a wire that connects the dock port (on the bottom of the iPod) to the car input. They cost about $8. When I did this the sound was about 50% louder (bypasses the iPod amp so the volume on the iPod doesn't do anything but the EQ does-use Dance) and way clearer than the headphone jack wire (tried both). This is pretty basic iPod stuff, you'll find that virtually none of the cool speaker units out there use a headphone jack, they all use the dock port (it sounds better). Many Mini people are still using the headphone jack though, even with aftermarket speakers/amps. Don't do it!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 04-09-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
Only up to $th generation Ipod ?

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Make sure of one thing: that you aren't connecting your iPod's headphone jack to the car's aux input. Get a wire that connects the dock port (on the bottom of the iPod) to the car input. They cost about $8. When I did this the sound was about 50% louder (bypasses the iPod amp so the volume on the iPod doesn't do anything but the EQ does-use Dance) and way clearer than the headphone jack wire (tried both). This is pretty basic iPod stuff, you'll find that virtually none of the cool speaker units out there use a headphone jack, they all use the dock port (it sounds better). Many Mini people are still using the headphone jack though, even with aftermarket speakers/amps. Don't do it!
I think the bottom output connector to the aux in 3.5mm connector will only work up to the 4th generation Ipods. If you have a 5th generation the one with video and up Apple changed the bottom output connector. I think I read this over at the Ipod lounge. That $8 cable may not work with the 5th generation video Ipod connecting into the aux input of the mini radio.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear
lol yea the first time i hooked it up it sounded horrable and the speakers sounded like they were blown, but i found out if the auxzilary volume is up and the volume is up on the ipod you get terrable distortion even at low volume, so i nutraled out the ipod and played with my sterio options and dialed it in perfect now i can blair ir and it sounds great !!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I think the bottom output connector to the aux in 3.5mm connector will only work up to the 4th generation Ipods. If you have a 5th generation the one with video and up Apple changed the bottom output connector. I think I read this over at the Ipod lounge. That $8 cable may not work with the 5th generation video Ipod connecting into the aux input of the mini radio.
Not true. I have a G5 iPod (Classic). Like I said almost all the iPods ever made have lineout through the bottom docking port. Any iPod that will go in a Bose or Apple boombox has it. Try it you'll like it.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
Glad to hear that

Not true. I have a G5 iPod (Classic). Like I said almost all the iPods ever made have lineout through the bottom docking port. Any iPod that will go in a Bose or Apple boombox has it. Try it you'll like it.
Thanks for the correction. I thought Apple changed the wiring or something on the bottom docking connector on 5th generation Ipods. So the only reason then to get the Ipod adapter would be for the charging and the limited use of the MFSW controls.
You just may have saved me $330.00

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the correction. I thought Apple changed the wiring or something on the bottom docking connector on 5th generation Ipods. So the only reason then to get the Ipod adapter would be for the charging and the limited use of the MFSW controls.
You just may have saved me $330.00
I think you got the picture .

Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
Did some searching on Google. Found this

http://ipodcarparts.com/ipod-dock-co...5mm-p-224.html

What do you think ?

Looks like this may take care of charging also . Looks like I can then get a ProClip mount just like I have in my Ford Ranger . Which allows full access of my Ipod controls. and still get benefit of line out from the dock connector.
I just will hide the RCA jacks under dash or somewhere not obvious.

I am going to look around some more I might be able to find same configurartion minus the rca jacks.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
How does this unit charge the iPod is my question. They don't say but you can see a little ground connection in the pic. Maybe you have to hardwire it, which would be a pia. I'd find out about that. Having the RCA connections dangling would bug me. Charging, at least for me, is not a priority. Mine runs 16-20 hours on a charge.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Hubs
4th Gear
Ipod Rca jacks ?

How does this unit charge the iPod is my question. They don't say but you can see a little ground connection in the pic. Maybe you have to hardwire it, which would be a pia. I'd find out about that. Having the RCA connections dangling would bug me. Charging, at least for me, is not a priority. Mine runs 16-20 hours on a charge.
Yes it would have to hard wired . This would not be a problem for me. It looks like it has a hot lead with a fuse. I too do not like the extra rca jacks, that is why I want to do some more searching for one that has just the charger part and 3.5 mm plus dock connector. The other possible problem I see is that I am not sure the Ipod charges with + 12 volts . I think a computer usb is + 5 volts dc max and that is how a Ipod charges.
I dont see any mention of this in the link I provided for the cable.