Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My plan. XM, Speakers, and Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My plan. XM, Speakers, and Video

Ok, here is my plan for my Clubman. The overall goal is to have full range sound and DVD video with minimal impact on usable space.

First, I will be routing all of the audio signals through the factory Aux-In using a JL Audio CL-SES Switcher. This will get me 3 separate inputs to work with.

My three inputs are factory USB/iPod convenience cable, XM radio Delphi XpressRC, and an audio signal from headrest mounted video screens/DVD player. These will feed into the factory radio using the Aux-In with the JL audio box.

XM:
My Delphi XpressRC will be on a Kuda mount next to the radio controls on the right side. Power will be sourced from behind the radio (maybe the factory fuse pannel). The antenna connection will be with the factory Sirius antenna connector. Audio will be run to the JL switcher behind the dash.

Video:
I have not found the perfect screen yet. Size is an issue and I'm fighting with that. There will be one in each headrest. They will feed to a monitor driving box. This will be feed by a 1/2 DIN DVD in the hidden dash pocket above the normal glove box. 1/2 DIN to save space and lets the hidden box area still be somewhat useable. The audio will be feed to the JL switcher.

Speakers and Amp:
My car has the upgrade factory system. The amp is already in the rear. My whole design is made to place the whole system under the Clubman rear sub-floor and still have space left over. The amp will be feed by an Audio Control LC6i level converter to bring the factory headunit's speaker level signal down to component level.

I plan on using an Alpine PDX-5 5-channel amp (75 x 4 + 300 x 1) to run the whole system. I am using this to minimize space used by the system. Everything I have found on these PDX amps says they are great and run very cool.

The speakers I'm planing on using are still up for grabs. I would like to go with the Focal 165 V3 E's. We will have to see if $550+ for front speakers is in the budget. Rears, I have no clue.

Subwoofer wise I am planing on a Kenwood KFC-XW1000 pancake woofer, or the new JL audio pancake that isn't quite out yet. These will be in a sealed box that is about .6 to .8 cu.ft. That will take up less than half of the rear sub-floor area, and with some box design I'm hoping to make the amp mount on one end of the box and the woofer on the other side making it a unit that can be removed easily if needed.

All of this will take some time. The Alpine amp and the JL sub aren't even out yet, so we'll see. So far I have the XM on order, and am about to order the video and switcher. The think I like about this plan is that it can be done in stages. The only really big outlay at once will be the amp and speakers, but I guess I could just put the speakers in alone.

Last edited by AlexMoultonIsMyMan; 03-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
You may want to glance at the Kenwood CarPortal stuff

here : http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/CarPortal™/

It's very good at doing what you'd like to do with factory equipment...

Just a thought ;-)

Old 03-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should be aware that different speaker locations get different freq ranges. The rears don't get much bass. The bass goes to the 6" in the doors. My guess is that they had problems with the rear panels vibrating from rear bass. Otherwise, I can't figure why the largest speakers in the system don't get bass.

I've not heard a definitive answer to whether the filters are in the rear amp or head unit. It seems that they may be in the head unit.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:54 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Also check out powerBass (pB)...a few of their subs are in the same slim range as the jl pancake you mentioned. might not be exact same... but definitely quality product.

I'd be willing to bet it's the head unit that is spitting out poor quality signal... hence why most of us here have signal processors in the cars. And that would also explain it's crossovers, or lack there of in the doors... and random signals going to random places.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Well, as an update, the headrest screens are out I think. The main reason is that it seems the market is moving to 7" and larger. After much research, it appears that 5.6" are about as large as the 2nd gen Mini headrests can take. Several manufacturers made them and still have them listed on their websites, but through actual contact most of these are not made any more. The ones I did find are priced much higher than they should be. Many good quality 7" screens are going for as low as $100, while the 5.6" and 5" are in the $200-$375 range for a quality unit. There were some that were quite a bit cheaper, but after research the were found to have problems like low resolution, poor brightness, and uneven illumination.

So, the solution for that for me is going to be routing system audio and power to the seat headrest area for my portable Sony 7" DVD player. Then making a bracket that hangs it from the headrest area. Kinda hoaky, but other solutions require a lot more compromise.

I looked at the Kenwood stuff. It is too involved for me. I only really need a source switcher for audio only. My Mini already has BT and iPod support and the Kenwood stuff seems kind of overkill for my needs. I think I'm going to stick with the JL Audio switcher. Mainly because it has signal gains for all of my inputs built in with auto switching. The output is also a full 8 volts, which should mean that there will be no volume issues with my sources.

My car goes in tomorrow to the dealer for an audio problem with the iPod/BT unit. That puts the XM, audio lead for the DVD, and JL switcher install off until next week. I'll take pictures though when it does happen.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Let me ask a friend here, in the local car club about video monitors.

I will message him in just a few for you. He is doing the same... but I am unsure the exact size screens he has.

Also, I know his car isn't a clubman... and I'm not sure if it's a R56 or not.... but there may not be THAT much of a difference.

I'll either post back, or PM you and let you know.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Hey man. Turns out he's using the seat backs.. not the head rests..
Sorry

here are his exact words:

I'm going w the 7" touch monoters we are making a fiber glass case slim enough to mount on the back top seat rest the 3 one will be mounted for show no back door and will flip down for viewing

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Thanks for the call.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
no problem man. keep us up to date...

Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
A couple pics from my XM XpressRC install. Note, I have not done the wiring like I am going to do. Wiring wise the install is just to make things work with an FM modulator. I am waiting for the JL source switcher before a full install. This is just the physical look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2346667710/Detail of Kuda mount pressed into place and screwed down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2345839063/Kuda mounted with panel removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2345839131/Kuda mounted with panel shown. The clips on the panel are the only thing holding the panel on. They pry off fairly easily if you feel for where they are located and pry carefully. The glove box gets in the way of removal, but a little careful maneuvering allows the panel to come free without removal of any other trim pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2345839191/The first part of the Kuda XM bracket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2345839231/The second part of the Kuda XM bracket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2346668090/The XM XpressRC base installed on Kuda adaptor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15131180@N04/2346667644/Final look. Pay no attention to the wires. They don't exist.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:35 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
What do you think of the base? I've got the RoadyXT that I just installed in the cubby. I tried using a mount but felt that it was too "loosey goosey" - I thought the unit moved too much when you pushed the buttons - and wound up using a piece of wood painted black, velcro, etc. I think it's a weakness of the single nub mounting system that XM uses, plus the fact because of the base the rest of the unit doesn't naturally lean up against anything for support.

I like the base because you can take the unit out easier to, say, just as an example of course, , listen to the Mets game inside the house, like I'm going to do in half an hour.

On another note, I put the antenna behind the roof antenna and found that it has great reception. Better than on a similar location behind the antenna on the roof of my Beetle and hatchback Mazda 3s. I don't know if it's the radio or what, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by VelvetFoot; 03-20-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:58 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
What do you think of the base? I thought the unit moved too much when you pushed the buttons - and wound up using a piece of wood painted black, velcro, etc.

I like the base because you can take the unit out easier to, say, just as an example of course, , listen to the Mets game inside the house, like I'm going to do in half an hour.
Well, I don't have a huge problem with the slight movement I get. It isn't rock firm, but it doesn't squish around on me. My issue is how thick the mount is. It makes the radio stick out quite far. I'm thinking of using the heavy duty double sided adhesive that came with the RC to stick the base to the mount. Probably will solve both problems.

On a side note, boo Yankees and Go Mets! I'm going to miss Shea when it's gone. I wonder if they are going to sell the seats. I want a row of 3 or 4. My wife is a huge Mets fan and I've come to it via contact. Went to three games during the huge disappointing last 17 games last season. Fun but sad watching them fall apart. Check out my brother-in-laws Mets blog.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
WOW! I read that blog all the time now! Matt does a great job!
I've become a big fan in the last 3-4 years.
It was a rollercoaster of emotion last season at the end.
Everywhere my wife and I went in the car we listened to the games on XM.
I too went to about 3 games last year.
I think I might try to go to a couple of Binghamton Mets games this summer too-it's closer than Shea for me.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
WOW! I read that blog all the time now! Matt does a great job!
Woops, I messed the URL up. It isn't Matt's blog. His is metsblog.com. My BnL is mymetsblog.com. I changed it in the post.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I got the Roadyxt with the Altec Lansing speaker dock.
It sounds very nice. I think your unit can work in it as well.
That's an advantage of the dock.
Here's a pic:

I'm not so sure about this new announcer they have...