Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio for those who've replaced their audio system...what did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those who've replaced their audio system...what did you pay?

I've been quoted from a few dealers well over 2000 dollars. It's about 1500 dollars for the hifi speakers and amp from the dealership. the hifi system, imo, sounds like rubbish.

anyone paid anything cheaper?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you are not talking about DIY.

I've been hearing $2,500 and up for pro installed system. My DIM speaker replacement is into about $400 worth of speakers.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
if i knew how to do it myself, I would but i'm not that technically inclined.

it doesn't make sense that it's so expensive to have this car done.

I could take one of the other cars we have, and it would likely be cheaper. I don't understand it. WHY is it so hard to change the stereo in this car?

Last edited by tbonecopper; 11-14-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Well, for one, you have to do something like this to get at the rear speakers.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
I was planning on either leaving them disconnected or crossed over to the new amp...

Robin do u have any pics with the door assemblies pulled apart, showing the wiring ... the wriring diagram would be nice.

thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
look at the first sticky in this forum

Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
I paid about $1400 for the install of all speakers, dynamatting of the rear (like Robin's photo above), and a JL Audio 4x300 AMP. I purchased all of the Focal speakers and the Dynamat myself on eBay. So, I would say that is in keeping with what others have posted.

Pat

Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tbonecopper
I was planning on either leaving them disconnected or crossed over to the new amp...

Robin do u have any pics with the door assemblies pulled apart, showing the wiring ... the wriring diagram would be nice.

thanks
I didn't think to take photos when I did the passenger side. I still have the driver's side to do (probably Friday) and I'll try to take photos.

You don't really need a wiring diagram for the door. There are two speakers. They have wires connected to them. The main thing you need to know is which is ground. This post will help with that:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...3&postcount=83

As pastabatman said, there is a lot of good info in the sticky thread.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm afraid to add it all up but I probably have $2500+ in my system.

let's see..
speakers - ~650
sub/custom box/subamp - $950
amp for fronts - ~250
rockford 360.2 - ~650
pro labor/misc parts - ~300

ack - yup $2500+

Old 11-16-2007, 05:51 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
I stopped at a very reputable installer on my way home this evening and listened to a system that probably would be in excess of $4000. MacIntosh amp was $1500 alone and 3 way component Dyna speakers (plus a bunch of other stuff). I also listened to a system with a stock VW head unit hooked up to a JL Clean Sweep sound processor. It takes a crappy head unit and makes it sound great (which is what will have to be done with the MINI since the head unit can't really be conveniently replaced). Also had a JL amp and Dyna speakers.

Anyone familiar with Dynaudio speakers, or have them? I asked about Focals and they didn't seem impressed by them.

I have an appointment to have the car evaluated and find out what my options are. I asked how much they want to do the testing and the answer was FREE. I said what if I decide not to upgrade my stereo, and they said it would still be free, and they'd have the info to do the next MINI that came in.

The only thing that bothers me is I may have spent $500 for additional spots to put speakers with the HiFi option (like the tweeters in the A pillars), or does the stock system already have them too?

Last edited by jascooper; 11-16-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Jas - after paying for new a-pillars with tweeter mounts, and the labor to get to the back of the radio if it's a normal system, you'd save some $$ by not getting the hifi. The hifi will make it much easier on the installers since they don't have to tear the dash apart to get to the back of the HU. Might save you the cost of a few rattles too.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
So they would go to the back left side of the boot to get the feeds for any equipment they would install? I thought those were hi level outputs going to the amp, and not line level. Or would they not be able to get line level outputs from the MINI head unit at all?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
So they would go to the back left side of the boot to get the feeds for any equipment they would install? I thought those were hi level outputs going to the amp, and not line level. Or would they not be able to get line level outputs from the MINI head unit at all?
nope. Those are speaker level outputs coming out of the HU for both systems. They are just much easier to get to in the hifi system.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
nope. Those are speaker level outputs coming out of the HU for both systems. They are just much easier to get to in the hifi system.
So the HiFi system is just a cheapo amplifier 'booster' like people used to get in the 70's to do an easy upgrade?

Any way to get preamp signals out of the head unit, even if it has to be taken apart?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
So the HiFi system is just a cheapo amplifier 'booster' like people used to get in the 70's to do an easy upgrade?

Any way to get preamp signals out of the head unit, even if it has to be taken apart?
cheapo amp booster? no. it's a true amp that accepts speaker level inputs. maybe not the best quality amp you can get but it does put out considerable wattage.

no way to get line level outputs from either version. That's why people get the 360 or other converters.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
Jascooper....

dynaudio speakers are some of the best I've heard... I heard them in the new VW touareg 2... and it was a similar experience to the bang & olufsen system in the audi a8... my grandma has that and it's by far the best i've ever heard.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
We just finished upgrading the audio system in our Mini. We are DIY-ers so we saved some money on labor. We spent a total of around $1,200 to upgrade the system ourselves and it sounds phenominal now!

I posted a thread on it earlier today. Here's the link to the thread with some photos for anyone interested in checking it out...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...74#post1870074

Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
A little late to the game, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I had dynaudio separates in a 1987 Land Cruiser. They were paired with an Eclipse head unit, Soundstream 5 channel Reference series amp and a RF sub in a custom sealed enclosure.
I thought they were wonderful. I'd had MB Quarts previously in the same car with the same other parts except for a Nakamichi head unit. The dyns blew them away. So much more musical and easy on the ears. I had narrowed down my choices at the time to Focal Utopias and the Dynaudios and the Dynaudios sounded better to me in the showroom, which is not a great predicter but was all I had to go on.
I put them in the Land Cruiser around 2001. Things may be different now as I haven't been in the car audio world since that purchase.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Dynaudio home audio equipment. They need a lot of juice and don't come into their own at low to reasonable sound levels.