MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

MTH header and tuner file combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheers for that andy...a much better link than the previous to say what its all about!! it allll makes sense now....

Old 11-18-2005, 10:25 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
oh okay

but it would not give u real numbers since ur excludin' one main detail...wheels & tyres so for tunin' it might be ok i guess, but for real data numbers to see ur gains on the street it might be off a bit NO?
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
FYI,

Dynapack dynos are fairly common for tuners. It's a load based dyno (actually several of them) that bolt directly to the hubs. The results aren't directly comparable to dynos that leave the wheels/tires on (like a Dynojet or Mustang) since they encounter different losses. But, for people doing actual tuning, they work pretty well and are arguably safer than other dyno types (not that any properly operated dyno is unsafe).

http://www.dynapack.com/

Old 11-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, but remember

Originally Posted by joker
but it would not give u real numbers since ur excludin' one main detail...wheels & tyres so for tunin' it might be ok i guess, but for real data numbers to see ur gains on the street it might be off a bit NO?
That even though the wheels are on, with the other dyno types most don't have air flow that is proportional to car speed (needed for IC equipped cars) or is the RPM ramp what would be seen on the street, so the energy put into rotation mass of the car is different than a 0-60 or 1/4 mile run, so it's not a real world measurement either. So it's just a question of degree of similarity. If you use any type of dyno, you better stick with it for before/after comparos. And it should be run the same way (like RPM change vs time).

Getting "real" numbers that are a controlled equivalent of a 1/4 mile run isn't easy, no matter what dyno you use.

Or they're all real numbers, but each one is measuring with slightly different rulers...

Matt

Old 11-18-2005, 03:35 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
huh, so then those big fans used while on the rollers are a waist of time too

but is it safe to say that any gains recorded would be greater on the wheels off version!?
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
That even though the wheels are on, with the other dyno types most don't have air flow that is proportional to car speed (needed for IC equipped cars) or is the RPM ramp what would be seen on the street, so the energy put into rotation mass of the car is different than a 0-60 or 1/4 mile run, so it's not a real world measurement either. So it's just a question of degree of similarity. If you use any type of dyno, you better stick with it for before/after comparos. And it should be run the same way (like RPM change vs time).

Getting "real" numbers that are a controlled equivalent of a 1/4 mile run isn't easy, no matter what dyno you use.

Or they're all real numbers, but each one is measuring with slightly different rulers...

Matt

Old 11-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Sure!

Originally Posted by joker

but is it safe to say that any gains recorded would be greater on the wheels off version!?
But the deltas won't be that much different, if the before and after are done with the same set up. If you went from a Mustang dyno to these Dynopaks, then you'd measure a false gain due to decreased rotational mass.

Matt

Old 11-20-2005, 05:37 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BMDoubleU
hey guys, just to let you know. i've have the new leaned out mth header file necessary to produce maximum gains on the dyno.. so, hopfully by saturday you'll see the result you and i been waiting for... "come on, 200!"
i hope we dont have to wait another 2 months for u to post this.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:28 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
it works

well, guys its offical.... 196max hp and 170max torque(didnt get the chance to do more runs and cool the intercooler down like i wanted)... i'll post my final graph and commentary tomorrow. (at work, so i dont have time today)

p.s. is this close enough for the 200whp club?

Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, guys its offical.... 196max hp and 170max torque(didnt get the chance to do more runs and cool the intercooler down like i wanted)... i'll post my final graph and commentary tomorrow. (at work, so i dont have time today)

p.s. is this close enough for the 200whp club?
Can I use your dyno? . Congrats d00d.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:38 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Can I use your dyno? . Congrats d00d.
its a dynojet dyno. its all good...

Old 12-06-2005, 06:21 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you swap the file between tuner and stock on the dyno? If so, what were the results?

Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
what mods u running?
is this the tuner file v7? or the special one tuned by mth (ie so they fixed ur previous problem of the car running to rich?)
dyno graph?

Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
here you go

1-3 runs are my base line dynos..
4-7 are mth header dynos..
11-14 are my mth header, 2%crank, 15% reduct, kingsborne wires, ik22 plugs, atla cold are intake, miltek exhaust dyno runs..

**note all runs had alta inake and miltek exhaust..

i'll post further comments later.

enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails MTH header and tuner file combo-earlydyno.jpg   MTH header and tuner file combo-untitled-1-copy.gif  
Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
1-3 runs are my base line dynos..
4-7 are mth header dynos..
11-14 are my mth header, 2%crank, 15% reduct, kingsborne wires, ik22 plugs, atla cold are intake, miltek exhaust dyno runs..

**note all runs had alta inake and miltek exhaust..

i'll post further comments later.

enjoy!
all i can say is wow. this car really flys..(feels fast as or a little faster than my r32 GOLF. there is a tremdous difference between stock and 200whp. . i love my car.

bottom line: it was fun and cheaper than the JCW works kit...

Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats Man!!
Even though I'm still new to the Mini community in that I've only owned my car for two and a half months, I will consider you a member of the 200 whp club. Way to go man and showing that the JCW kit can be obtained at a cheaper price. Have fun and the best of luck.
Steve

Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Thin ice ahead!!!

Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
Way to go man and showing that the JCW kit can be obtained at a cheaper price.
Lots of frayed nerves on that one. And you don't get the badges.....

Matt

Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
Congrats Man!!
Even though I'm still new to the Mini community in that I've only owned my car for two and a half months, I will consider you a member of the 200 whp club. Way to go man and showing that the JCW kit can be obtained at a cheaper price. Have fun and the best of luck.
Steve
thanks! it has been fun..

also, JCw KIT actually is much more expensive than my list of mods because of the $ to hp ratio..

for me its, $15 per hp.. for the JCW its, $37 per hp.. remember, JCW is only about 180 at the wheels, i beleive..

Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Lots of frayed nerves on that one. And you don't get the badges.....

Matt
indeed...

Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
right~0n d0od !!

looks bitchin'
sum serious power out of that file huh !?
to compare it w/the r32 its gotta kick ***.....
so i guess u wont be needin' that v-dub anymore, want to sell it? JK

be safe, but tear it up

Old 12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Maaij
3rd Gear
Hi

One question with the special tuner file include with the manifold:

Do I need to tell MTH al my modification done to my MINI (JCW air filter and JCW exhaust)?

Old 12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yep.

Originally Posted by Maaij
Hi

If I go for the manifold with special tuner file:

Do I need to tell them al my modification to my MINI (JCW air filter and JCW exhaust)?
Each map is made for each combo of mods.

Matt

Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Maaij
3rd Gear
Each map is made for each combo of mods.

Matt
Thats what I thoughts too. I mailed the person where I got the manifold from. He said it isnt needed with the manifold software. Only needed for the tuner file. But the software from the manifold is a (special) tuner file, Only optimized to work with the manifold right? little confused now

Old 12-16-2005, 05:21 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Thats what I thoughts too. I mailed the person where I got the manifold from. He said it isnt needed with the manifold software. Only needed for the tuner file. But the software from the manifold is a (special) tuner file, Only optimized to work with the manifold right? little confused now
yeah, it is.. however, mth will modify the file for your other options too.. my car has header along with the other mods that you can purchase elsewhere... if you have the JCW works kit. the header/file combo will be a nice add on for some HP gains... (when you order the tuner file just tell them what you have and they will adjust your file accordly)

Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Maaij
3rd Gear
I only have a Cooper (NON S) with the JCW soundkit. This include a JCW airfilter and JCW exhaust. Not the 200+ HP
I brought the MTH header and updated the software. (they didnt tell MTH about the JCW airfilter and JCW exhaust).
So I need an optimized special Tuner file? The special file for the header and the JCW mods on my car. So I have to send the software whats on the car now to MTH and let them optimize it with my other (JCW) mods?

Old 12-16-2005, 05:38 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
I only have a Cooper (NON S) with the JCW soundkit. This include a JCW airfilter and JCW exhaust. Not the 200+ HP

I brought the MTH header and updated the software. (they didnt tell MTH about the JCW airfilter and JCW exhaust).

Do I need an optimized special Tuner file? The special file for the header and the JCW mods on my car.
i would say so.. they may be able to sqeeze a little more out of your engine if they know that it can breathe better..

Old 12-17-2005, 09:58 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Can't Read - Eyes going hazy

I'm actually in Houston and thinking about taking advantage of MTH's deal for the header and tuner file, but I'm on the fence since it's such a significant amount of money.

I'm trying to look at the dynographs, but they're so small and I can't read them. Can anybody with better eyesight tell me what the deltas are for the MTH and tuner file as compared to the base runs? BMdoubleU is getting close to 200 whp, is that with the 2%crank, 15% reduct, kingsborne wires, ik22 plugs, atla cold are intake and milltek exhaust?

Quick Reply: MTH header and tuner file combo