MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas (M2C2) The MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas forum. Visit our club site at www.m2c2.org

New Years Day drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Years Day drive

All right. First off, this drive is open to everyone, whether you're an M2C2 member or not.

Here's the plan so far. Starting at Trainman's, or some other point in the area, I'd like to head up towards Asheville with an eventual destination being the top of Mt. Mitchell. I'm in process of gathering some info on road conditions and possible routes. As soon as I can, I'll post some more concrete info in this thread.

For those already up in the Asheville area, we can arrange a rendezvous time up around there.

So far, the only bad thing I've seen is the possibility of rain on Saturday. Anyone feel free to comment with any other news that might affect the drive (road closings, etc...).

Stay tuned and chime in if you want to join in.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Trainman
5th Gear
Hmmm, an anniversary day drive? I'm gonn have to have a talk with Trainmama!

Old 12-26-2004, 02:14 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Double Hmmmmmm........clue me in on your planned route and approximate timing when you know. :smile: I was feeling a New Years Day drive coming on myself. We might arrange a link up.
A view into the new year from the top, eh?

Old 12-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Tweety's Mom
3rd Gear
Put us down for a definate maybe.

Old 12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll catch everyone in winston somewhere and join in!

Old 12-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Testing the Waters????

Feels fine on the toes...............

I think I'll jump back in!

Greeting one and all! Hope the Christmas Holiday was good to all your families and friends. Sorry for my absence, but life gets in the way some times, anyway although I wish I could make this drive, I'll be working this weekend.

I'll be checking with some contacts in the AM about what you asked, Bob and I'll get back to you ASAP.

You guys be careful out there or you will see me, which isn't always the best.

See you next time.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Nate432
2nd Gear
Yes

Yes i would love to come. I live in charlotte NC. I will try to make it please let me know what time and where we meet. If you can tell me how many have said yes that would be sweet. I am so ready for my first drive. It would take me like 2-3 hours to meet up with u guys. I will try to make it. I am 19 by the way.

I have a yellow Mini Cooper with a black top. Love them.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Update #1..... Sadly it seems the BRP around Mt. Mitchell is pretty well out of service so that part of the trip has been canned. Here's the new basic route I'm looking at.

We'll meet in the old Wal-mart parking lot at the corner of Hwy 25 and 253 on the west side of Greenville between 10 and 10:30 Sat. morning. From there we'll backroad it over to 178N. Run up 178 to Rosman. Take 64W to 215N and follow that up to Canton. ETA at Canton will be between 1 and 1:30. This will be our rendezvous point for anyone joining up from the Asheville and surrounding areas. We'll also probably do up some lunch while we're there.

The second half of the drive, for those just joining and those who want to continue on will run on 215 to 63. Then north on 63 to 209. We'll take 209S back to I-40 (exit 24, I think). Once we hit 40, it'll be a good place for everyone to head for their respective homes.

This is a base course and may be subject to change as more road info becomes available....but it looks pretty solid so far. More info as it comes in.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
cnhminics
Coordinator :: MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas
I was hoping to get out today to physically check the road to Mt. Mitchell, but something came up.

I should be able to make a run tomorrow (mid-day) to check on the proposed 215 to 63 to 209S route.

I'll post as soon as I have some road condition updates.

Kevin

Old 12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Trainman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Moorlockx
We'll meet in the old Wal-mart parking lot at the corner of Hwy 25 and 253 on the west side of Greenville between 10 and 10:30 Sat. morning. From there we'll backroad it over to 178N.
Just to fill in some blanks: Hwy 25 is White Horse Road, exit 44 on I-85...
Hwy 253 is 5 miles north of the interstate..
The old Wal-Mart is on the left corner behind McDonalds, Waffle House and Sonic..
I've agreed to lead as far as the intersection of Hwy 178 and 11, since it's my neck of the woods..

Old 12-29-2004, 03:40 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
We've decided to run Devil's Triangle, north of Knoxville, instead. We'll catch you guys another time around real soon.

Y'all have a great run now, ya heah.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 PM
cnhminics
Road condition update:

Rt 215 is closed about 20 miles north of Rt 64 so we'll have to reroute the drive. I checked out Rt 276. This is clear all the way to Waynesville except for two short detours (well marked).

So the new route is as follows...

Start point - We'll meet in the old Wal-mart parking lot at the corner of Hwy 25 and 253 on the west side of Greenville between 10 and 10:30 Sat. morning.
Note: Hwy 25 is White Horse Road, exit 44 on I-85...
Hwy 253 is 5 miles north of the interstate...
The old Wal-Mart is on the left corner behind McDonalds, Waffle House and Sonic.

We'll come up 276 out of Greenville to Brevard.

Second meeting point - Anyone who wants to meet up with the group in Brevard can meet us in the parking lot of Bi-Lo at the intersection of Routes 280, 64, and 276 between 11:30 and 12 noon.

From here we'll continue north on 276 stopping at Looking Glass Falls and Cold Mountain Overlook for photos, etc. and then continue on toward Waynesville and Lake Junaluska. We'll grab a bite to eat in this area about 1 or 1:30pm. The only places I found open on New Year's Day for lunch are the fast food places and 2-3 other restaurants.

Some will choose to break off and head home at this point depending on the time needed to drive home. I will be continuing on from Lake Junaluska north on Rt 209 to Hot Springs then back to Asheville (approx. 2 hours) for anyone wanting to continue on or join me for the last section only.

Third meeting point? - Any wishing to join up for the last section only, please PM me so that I can set up a third meeting point (probably just off Rt 19/23/74 in Lake Junaluska).

IMPORTANT! Please post or PM me if you are planning to meet us at the second or third meeting points so that I'll know who to expect if any.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Kevin is 215 closed completely? I had Haywood EMS guys and the Highway Patrol telling me that it was open as of yesterday at noon.

I now wonder if it's open only for "local traffic". I'll have to check again tomorrow and chew a little butt.

Thanks for keeping me straight!

Old 12-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Thanks for all the help setting up the route Kevin! (and Ed and Chris!!)

Chris, when I spoke to Kevin last night he mentioned there were signs on 215 saying "local traffic only".

As Kevin mentioned, if you plan on joining up with us somewhere, please post it here. Also, I don't know what reception is going to be like, but I'll have my cell phone on in case you're running late or need to find us. The number is (910) 489-2506. If anyone else is running a cell, and doesn't mind posting their number, please do so as some phones will work better than others.

Don't forget your radio if you have one (if you don't, think about giving yourself a belated Cristmas present. ). We'll operate off either channel 7 or 7 sub 21, depending on whether or not everyones radio has subchannels.

Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 PM
cnhminics
Originally Posted by smokey4
Kevin is 215 closed completely? I had Haywood EMS guys and the Highway Patrol telling me that it was open as of yesterday at noon.

I now wonder if it's open only for "local traffic".

The signs at the beginning of 215 said "Road Closed in 20 miles" and "Local Traffic Only". I wasn't up for driving the 20 miles to verify this and then having to back track. I knew the parkway wouldn't be an option to cut across to 276.

Kevin

Old 01-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Fun time today! Thanks again to those who came out and everyone who helped organize the run. I know most of you had to go after we ate, but I'm here to tell you, we'll have to do the second portion of the run again on another day! 209 is a great road!

Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Tweety's Mom
3rd Gear
Here's some pictures of our New Year's Day motoring adventure from Greenville, SC to Waynesville, NC. A perfect adventure on a perfect day with perfect friends. What more could one ask for?
http://www.tweetysmom.com/tweety/tra.../january_1.htm

Old 01-03-2005, 07:33 AM
roadodendron
2nd Gear
What to ask for

Originally Posted by Tweety's Mom
Here's some pictures of our New Year's Day motoring adventure from Greenville, SC to Waynesville, NC. A perfect adventure on a perfect day with perfect friends. What more could one ask for?
Maybe fewer SUVs and what was left of a pickup truck? Other than that, it was a great day to head for the mountains.

Moorlockx: The last time I was up that way wandering around (getting lost), in a Suzuki Gti. What I remember, it was a great area to drive. I wanted to finish out the run but it would have put me back home later than I wanted.

Thanks for everyone that helped put this together!

Chris

Old 01-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Trainman
5th Gear
Great pictures!! Looks like I was having a bad frizz day! I had a blast once I got woke up.. In spite of the 2 SUV's and the remanents of a pick-up truck, there was very little traffic on the road, which did make for a much better than average run.. Thanks to everyone who participated!!

Old 01-03-2005, 03:04 PM
moonpie
2nd Gear
Looks like a great time! I wished I could have been at my dad's place in Waynesville to join in. The roads that were mentioned are great roads (215,209 and 276) and I have spent alot of time on them on a bike. I am looking forward to getting up in Haywood Co. and beyond.