Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Had Mini for 4 Months already spent 3k in upgrades!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:19 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
When you lower a car with CV axles after it has had some miles on it, you will get a wobble.
The inner CV joint buckets have developed a wear pattern, when lowering the car, the CV joint moves in slightly.
When accelerating (front end comes up) the CV joint tramlines inside the bucket to its original worn position (pre lowered) and back.

The joint really doesn't wobble, the inner bucket does. As its bolted to the transaxle, its the engine that vibrates.
Getting a stiffer "dog bone" engine mount will minimize it.

Its a common issue:
search "cv wobble lowered car"

Old 05-05-2019, 06:08 PM
copajoe
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
3K and still on stock rims! Nice color choice

The following users liked this post:
ArchiMark (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 PM
nosben
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this one is less than 3k.

Armaspeed mini R60 carbon fiber intake

Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
When you lower a car with CV axles after it has had some miles on it, you will get a wobble.
The inner CV joint buckets have developed a wear pattern, when lowering the car, the CV joint moves in slightly.
When accelerating (front end comes up) the CV joint tramlines inside the bucket to its original worn position (pre lowered) and back.

The joint really doesn't wobble, the inner bucket does. As its bolted to the transaxle, its the engine that vibrates.

Its a common issue:
This is what I thought may be the issue, something with the CV joints. Thanks for the response!!! Do you know where I could get these engine mounts? Cost?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 AM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by copajoe
3K and still on stock rims! Nice color choice
Went for performance first, I really like your rims though. What are they? Size? Did you need to do anything else suspension wise to make them work?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 AM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RoseCityMini
This is what I thought may be the issue, something with the CV joints. Thanks for the response!!! Do you know where I could get these engine mounts? Cost?

Its a common issue:
Also is this putting any unwated stress on those joints?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Several years ago NM Eng'g sold stiffer inserts for $60. Gotta be careful 'cause inserts are different for a couple of the gen II models. I'll sell my complete torque arm with inserts and include shipping to the Portland area for $40. Inserts were only used for a few months.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Several years ago NM Eng'g sold stiffer inserts for $60. Gotta be careful 'cause inserts are different for a couple of the gen II models. I'll sell my complete torque arm with inserts and include shipping to the Portland area for $40. Inserts were only used for a few months.

i have a f56???

Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Nope, per RealOEM, this part isn't designed for the F56. Doesn't mean it won't fit, but not worth the gamble. This is a pretty popular upgrade --- you should shop around the various NAM vendors for what's available. Be advised that this mod can create a pretty stiff ride, depending on brand. My current version, Vibra-Technics, even introduced center rear view mirror vibration.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 PM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
Nope, per RealOEM, this part isn't designed for the F56. Doesn't mean it won't fit, but not worth the gamble. This is a pretty popular upgrade --- you should shop around the various NAM vendors for what's available. Be advised that this mod can create a pretty stiff ride, depending on brand. My current version, Vibra-Technics, even introduced center rear view mirror vibration.

Is the current state of my car bad for the CV joints?

Old 05-06-2019, 02:44 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear

Its a common issue:
Is the current state of my car bad for the CV joints?
Per TVPostSound, it's the CV joints causing the vibration. It's the vibration caused by the "different" wear pattern that's gonna cause a bigger problem for everything else. It can be eliminated by going back to OEM height springs, or replacing axles. Minimizing isn't the same as eliminating. How badly do you want the look / feel of a lowered car?

I recently replaced a CV boot --- one tore and started leaking. PITA and messy to replace just the boot, but it came apart easy enough. Just needed special tools for the boot clamps. Maybe take one or both of yours apart, clean and inspect it for the wear pattern described?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 PM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
Per TVPostSound, it's the CV joints causing the vibration. It's the vibration caused by the "different" wear pattern that's gonna cause a bigger problem for everything else. It can be eliminated by going back to OEM height springs, or replacing axles. Minimizing isn't the same as eliminating. How badly do you want the look / feel of a lowered car?

I recently replaced a CV boot --- one tore and started leaking. PITA and messy to replace just the boot, but it came apart easy enough. Just needed special tools for the boot clamps. Maybe take one or both of yours apart, clean and inspect it for the wear pattern described?

I like the look of the car lowered but it was costly to install. And now with these headaches Im feeling like it wasnt worth it. Axles? you mean just replacing with new stock axles? It would probably run me around $600 to put the OEM springs back on

Old 05-06-2019, 04:26 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
I like the look of the car lowered but it was costly to install. And now with these headaches Im feeling like it wasnt worth it. Axles? you mean just replacing with new stock axles? It would probably run me around $600 to put the OEM springs back on
There are aftermarket axles, some probably less expensive than OEM, and others for hi perf cars. Sounds like you didn't save the OEM springs --- maybe try a wrecking yard, or somebody that didn't scrap theirs? I only upgraded shocks, not springs --- keeping the OEM "sleeper" look.

Best of luck ---

Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 PM
RoseCityMini
1st Gear
There are aftermarket axles, some probably less expensive than OEM, and others for hi perf cars. Sounds like you didn't save the OEM springs --- maybe try a wrecking yard, or somebody that didn't scrap theirs? I only upgraded shocks, not springs --- keeping the OEM "sleeper" look.

Best of luck ---
I still have the springs but it cost $600 to install the new ones, so assuming they would charge around the same to put old back on

Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I still have the springs but it cost $600 to install the new ones, so assuming they would charge around the same to put old back on
By the dame logic of the wobble being caused by wear; could it be fixed by wear too?
Also; is this wobble enough to actually warranty any action? Does it wobble so much that it harms the driving performance?

I'd like to drive your car dude, see what you're feeling.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Altecfenix
By the dame logic of the wobble being caused by wear; could it be fixed by wear too?
Also; is this wobble enough to actually warranty any action? Does it wobble so much that it harms the driving performance?

I'd like to drive your car dude, see what you're feeling.

It will fix itself by wear, I don't notice it anymore.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:32 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Like a bent wheel would feel in the back, but in the front, no steering wheel wobble.
Only on low speed acceleration.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:47 PM
madmix
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Altecfenix
Give it some time and I bet it goes away. If it won't go away after a few weeks, let's say, then it'll probably be something to look into. I'm not sure how the springs would cause a kind of wobble, I'd wager on installation if anything, but crazier things have happened.
I'd be curious to drive it myself and feel what you're feeling.
so I put Craven Speed springs on my JCW and I feel the exact same wheel wobble at 15 miles per hour, front right side.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:25 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
How many miles did you have on the car with stock suspension springs?