JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 350 HP Dyno Tune

Old 05-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Skidude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 HP Dyno Tune

Is anyone running 350ish HP? I’m currently running a Manic stage 2 with mods making 250ish HP, maybe. My mechanic just built a Clubman N14 with 309 with a Manic tune, (lots of mods on that car). I inquired about doing the same to my car. I already have a cold air intake, inlet, hot side charge pipe, Wagner intercooler, cooler plugs, catless and Manic 2. He says I need forged Carillo rods, Supertech pistons, cams, head work, GTX2867R turbo and maybe injectors. About $15,000. I took this information and shared it with a couple of folks overseas (another Mini group I’m in). They laughed at all that for only 309 HP. Told me all those mods and a custom Dyno tune would be at the very least 400HP. They tell me Manic tunes are out, custom dyno tunes are the thing there. Much more power and safer. What does this group say?

Initially, I thought, 309 would be awesome. But now I’m wondering what I may be leaving on the table by settling for 309. If I get away from Manic, I don’t have a clue where to go for a custom dyno tune. Google doesn’t seem to know either. I’m in southeastern NC.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidude
Is anyone running 350ish HP? I’m currently running a Manic stage 2 with mods making 250ish HP, maybe. My mechanic just built a Clubman N14 with 309 with a Manic tune, (lots of mods on that car). I inquired about doing the same to my car. I already have a cold air intake, inlet, hot side charge pipe, Wagner intercooler, cooler plugs, catless and Manic 2. He says I need forged Carillo rods, Supertech pistons, cams, head work, GTX2867R turbo and maybe injectors. About $15,000. I took this information and shared it with a couple of folks overseas (another Mini group I’m in). They laughed at all that for only 309 HP. Told me all those mods and a custom Dyno tune would be at the very least 400HP. They tell me Manic tunes are out, custom dyno tunes are the thing there. Much more power and safer. What does this group say?

Initially, I thought, 309 would be awesome. But now I’m wondering what I may be leaving on the table by settling for 309. If I get away from Manic, I don’t have a clue where to go for a custom dyno tune. Google doesn’t seem to know either. I’m in southeastern NC.
I've got the same mods as you. Frankly, I can't see doing much more than 300hp in the MINI. 400hp? Sounds like a nightmare trying to control that amount of power in the current front wheel drive platform. I love my MINI currently for what it does so wonderfully. This is just me, but if I wanted that much hp, I'd get something else that was designed for it to begin with. I think the above recommendations and expected hp is probably about right, maybe a bit on the conservative side, which with these engines, I'd probably lean to.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
You might what to look through this guys thread about his car to get an idea of what it takes to get near that power level. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ec-2018-a.html
Also you could talk to Trigger2011 (prototype-r) or MarioKart (RPM Power/Manic) to also get idea of what you might need, since both offer tuning solutions.

The following users liked this post:
Davers (02-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:16 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidude

Couple things to note ---

UK dyno results are usually in BHP while USA dynos are almost always in WHP --- gotta consider this when comparing numbers. Using an online conversion chart, my 383 WHP converts to 437 BHP.

Manic stages 3 & 4 can be considered custom tunes, if done with data logs and fine tuned on a dyno --- the way mine was done. Manic gets a bad rap mostly due to stages 1 & 2 --- way too many variables, and drivers trying to show off, stressing the bottom end. I too blew the bottom end a couple times, but it was first due to my own poor choice of piston CR, then using an old torque spec which caused timing to slip. I'm sold on Manic! Talk to your closest Manic dealer about stages 3 & 4.

Don't even think about exceeding 300WHP without building the bottom end --- rods, pistons and a Cylinder Support System. Helps to balance things when assembling it.

As for performance and handling, I drive this beast on the streets as a "sleeper" with minimum problems. There's little need to use the power, which is developed and controlled by your foot. For city driving, RPM's seldom go over 3K, very early on the power curve.

My mod list is extensive and expensive --- signature lists all the major stuff.

Edit: After posting this, I checked NeonLed's link --- surprise! It also includes links to all the build threads involved.

Last edited by oldbrokenwind; 05-23-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Skidude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick reply to say thanks for the responses and the links. I’m still busy reading and trying to process all the information.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 AM
gnarmach
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In addition to everything here, I think a lot of people underestimate how much changing the power curve will change the character of the car. With something small and light like a mini, shifting the power curve to the right is going to make it a lot harder to drive at lower speed and generally harder to deal with in corners. It's a tiny motor, getting 350whp or more out of it will mean that it doesn't spool up quickly - you'll lose a lot of that rocketing out of corners ability and definitely run into a lot more traction issues.

The power curve/power delivery will make a bigger difference than the power numbers on cars like these IMO.

mountainhorse (03-08-2020)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:21 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gnarmach
In addition to everything here, I think a lot of people underestimate how much changing the power curve will change the character of the car. With something small and light like a mini, shifting the power curve to the right is going to make it a lot harder to drive at lower speed and generally harder to deal with in corners. It's a tiny motor, getting 350whp or more out of it will mean that it doesn't spool up quickly - you'll lose a lot of that rocketing out of corners ability and definitely run into a lot more traction issues.

The power curve/power delivery will make a bigger difference than the power numbers on cars like these IMO.
You're partially correct, low speed handling is different. However, it's easily compensated with the gearbox --- downshift before punching it, including corner recovery. Traction is retained with softer compound tires.

Spooling --- a light flywheel will allow quicker spooling at high RPM's. The trade-off is launching with a GTX28-- series turbo. These slower spooling turbos, paired with a light flywheel will not allow tire spinning at launch --- loss of inertia. Even when launching at high RPM's and slipping the clutch, there's no burn-out. Normal city-driving is insignificantly different. Now that Garrett has introduced the G25-550 & 660 series turbo, they should reduce or eliminate this slow spooling issue. This will be my next upgrade, since my current turbo appears to be maxed out.

One more handling issue --- torque steer. I've been seen changing lanes under hard 1st & 2nd gear acceleration. Fortunately, I was in front or traffic was minimal so no accidents, but it scares the hell out of me! More incentive to drive sensibly and avoid attracting attention --- hence the sleeper effect.

Power-to-weight ratio is lots lower, so yes, handling will be different when using that power. It takes getting used to.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:15 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
You're partially correct, low speed handling is different. However, it's easily compensated with the gearbox --- downshift before punching it, including corner recovery. Traction is retained with softer compound tires.

Spooling --- a light flywheel will allow quicker spooling at high RPM's. The trade-off is launching with a GTX28-- series turbo. These slower spooling turbos, paired with a light flywheel will not allow tire spinning at launch --- loss of inertia. Even when launching at high RPM's and slipping the clutch, there's no burn-out. Normal city-driving is insignificantly different. Now that Garrett has introduced the G25-550 & 660 series turbo, they should reduce or eliminate this slow spooling issue. This will be my next upgrade, since my current turbo appears to be maxed out.

One more handling issue --- torque steer. I've been seen changing lanes under hard 1st & 2nd gear acceleration. Fortunately, I was in front or traffic was minimal so no accidents, but it scares the hell out of me! More incentive to drive sensibly and avoid attracting attention --- hence the sleeper effect.

Power-to-weight ratio is lots lower, so yes, handling will be different when using that power. It takes getting used to.
I am curious. With all the mods and investment you did, are you able to pass smog test every year as requested in Nevada?

Old 05-25-2019, 07:19 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
I am curious. With all the mods and investment you did, are you able to pass smog test every year as requested in Nevada?
Smog testing in NV is a county option. My county, Lyon, doesn't require it.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Ludopo
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi everybody,

I have a GTX2867r on my car, and i use it as a daily driver, and it's very easy to drive everyday.

Here's a list of mods:

PP-PERFORMANCE custom tune
gtx2867R with his Downpipe
wagner intercooler
AEM cold air intake
tial Q50 BOV
colder silver plugs
Snowperformance water-meth kit
akrapovic exhaust
DP low compression pistons
ZRP Rods
race cylinder head with sport cams etc.

Will be glad to give you advice

Old 05-26-2019, 11:09 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ludopo
Hi everybody,

I have a GTX2867r on my car, and i use it as a daily driver, and it's very easy to drive everyday.

Here's a list of mods:

PP-PERFORMANCE custom tune
gtx2867R with his Downpipe
wagner intercooler
AEM cold air intake
tial Q50 BOV
colder silver plugs
Snowperformance water-meth kit
akrapovic exhaust
DP low compression pistons
ZRP Rods
race cylinder head with sport cams etc.

Will be glad to give you advice
Hi again Ludopo, were you able to get the Garrett over 22PSI? Tuning or FCD's? And what kind of WHP are you putting down now? Added boost should add to your earlier 300 numbers.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Ludopo
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Hi again Ludopo, were you able to get the Garrett over 22PSI? Tuning or FCD's? And what kind of WHP are you putting down now? Added boost should add to your earlier 300 numbers.
Hi mate !!

I'm currently using FCD, but did ordered standalone ECU

I'm having electrical issues so don't know yet how much I got, but before the FCD, I was already above 300 whp, and I'm targeting 400+ !

Skidude (05-26-2019)