JCW Dinan Elite Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 04:07 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Dinan Elite Installed

Got the Dinan Elite installed yesterday on my 2015 JCW and can't say that I feel much difference when driving normally. I have only driven about 20 miles on it so far and have not really had a chance to open it up yet so I'm hoping it I'll feel it more in the higher rev ranges. Where in the rev range should I feel the most difference?

Old 05-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
On my F56's I felt the difference immediately. Turbo kicked in sooner. When in sports mode the car was instantly twitchy until I got used to it.

The following users liked this post:
tc1728 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:01 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
When I had an Elite on my F56 S you could feel it instantly pretty much throughout the entire rev range. Give the car some more miles for the ECU to adjust.

tc1728 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I had the Elite installed on my '19 JCW late last year. I'd suggest drive in a mix of Normal & Sport for 100 miles or so. Drive "normally" but don't romp on it just yet. After 100 miles use both driving modes and drive a bit harder to allow the ECU to acclimate as others mentioned.

To me, Normal now feels like the stock Sport mode, and Sport is a kick in the *** Power comes on early yet smoothly, and it's impossible to miss in my book.

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

The following 2 users liked this post by fridayxiii:
IamLili (05-16-2019), tc1728 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Is it hooked up right? I noticed a difference the 2nd I had mine in first gear

The following 3 users liked this post by Mini_Vinnie:
fridayxiii (05-06-2019), tc1728 (05-06-2019), Warren2185 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 AM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Is it hooked up right? I noticed a difference the 2nd I had mine in first gear
I had a Premier Dinan Dealer install it so I hope its on there right. After install I drove it home in mild traffic so maybe that's why I don't really feel it. Took it to work this morning and it feels like it pulls harder at higher revs but nothing that "wows" me. I am thinking that its my own butt dyno problem. I'll give it about 100 miles or so like others have suggested and see how it feels. Thanks for all the input everyone

Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Check the model number too. Dealer installed the wrong Dinan when I got my car then the 2nd Dinan failed. Car didn't feel much different with the first two.
The 3rd Dinan I felt instantly when I rolled out of the dealership, just like Mini Vinnie stated

Old 05-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
I have to say compared to my 2019 S with DINAN Elite the same thing on my JCW seems busted. I knew immediately with my S, on my JCW I frankly cannot tell. I have a email into my vendor as I am certain its defective as I plugged it and it feels the same.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
I decided to skip the COST of the DINAN and am going with the NM Engineering B46/48 Power Module. Less expensive...easy to install and remove...and hopefully will give me the extra BOOST of power I am looking for...keeping it under 280HP.

UPDATE: I have installed the Wavetrac Gear Driven Mechanical LSD and the DIFFerence is like Night and Day. Dropping the tranny is quite a bit of work...but the end result is worth the Time/Effort and Expense IMO. It drives completely DIFFerent in every way. I also added an engine bushing by Powerflex (Yellow Version...not super stiff Race Version) an I like the new feel. Lastly I installed Bilstein PSS 14/16 Coilovers and lowered the Mini. Drives great...still need to get the Adjustable Lower Rear Control Arms...will be here late tomorrow. I also decided on the NM Engineering F56Power Module B46/48. Have an AutoX this Sunday to see how it all does...will be some coilover and alignment adjustments I'm sure.

Follow Up: Installed the NM Rear Control Arms and the NM Power Module. WOW...the power is impressive to say the least even on the lower of the two settings with premium gas. Glad I put the Wavetrac LSD and Bilstein B14 PSS Coil Overs in first...need the added traction!

Last edited by Darbys2019MiniJCW; 05-16-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Scott Rutledge (02-25-2020)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Actually the Dinan Elite has been quite a difference after the installer removed and re-installed it. I have been quite impressed so far.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tc1728
Actually the Dinan Elite has been quite a difference after the installer removed and re-installed it. I have been quite impressed so far.
Good to hear!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:06 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You should be able to tell right away that it's different accelerating. I could tell before I got to the first stop light.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:03 PM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
There you go. I've had the elite on my jcw for 10k miles now and sometimes I wonder if it's working since the power is so smooth and oem feeling. Then I'll race someone or just really get on it and it feels great and pulls hard.

Car should have come like this from the factory.

I'll admit when I first had it done, it was a little underwhelming but it really pulls strong starting around 3k rpm all the way to redline.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Just got some crappy news. Called Dinan with some questions about submitting the warranty form and found out that Dinan will match factory warranty but they do not honor CPO warranties. I bought my Mini CPO back in Oct 2018 and ordered the Dinan Elite while at the dealership signing papers because I was so excited. Finally got around to installing the Dinan 3 weeks ago and now I think I will have to have it removed. It sucks because it was so much fun with the Dinan installed but I cannot risk my CPO warranty.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Nah, dont stress over it. It literally takes 20 mins to remove it in the case you have a warranty claim. Just pull it out before you go to the dealer

Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Nah, dont stress over it. It literally takes 20 mins to remove it in the case you have a warranty claim. Just pull it out before you go to the dealer
Last week when I took it in for service, My SA noticed it and the foreman even asked if he can test drive it. Do you think it be noted on my car's service history somewhere?

Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Dinan is replacing mine my dealer emailed me they will let me know when it arrives.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:20 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Last week when I took it in for service, My SA noticed it and the foreman even asked if he can test drive it. Do you think it be noted on my car's service history somewhere?
I feel like data logs would show parameters are abnormal even if the physical box is removed. With that said the Elite is such a modest bump in power (still loads of fun) it's extremely unlikely to cause any damage to the powertrain. I had issues with my Elite and ultimately removed it but they were due to the wiring harness. Seattle MINI never cared that it was there at all.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Mini_Vinnie

Even if it is noted, they can't legally deny the warranty if it's not related to the dinan. For example, say your sunroof is leaking, they cant say "nope, no claim because you have the Dinan installed"

If they do bull sh-t like that, read this and know your rights - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

I personally have experience with this when I had my Subaru back in the day. Subaru was notorious for denying claims because of this part, that part etc... even though it had nothing to do with the part that broke and the installed parts.

2017All4 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Even if it is noted, they can't legally deny the warranty if it's not related to the dinan. For example, say your sunroof is leaking, they cant say "nope, no claim because you have the Dinan installed"

If they do bull sh-t like that, read this and know your rights - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

I personally have experience with this when I had my Subaru back in the day. Subaru was notorious for denying claims because of this part, that part etc... even though it had nothing to do with the part that broke and the installed parts.
Yes and no. Let me qualify this, I am a bar admitted attorney. This act is so distorted on the internet that people are constantly saying exactly what you just said and you are wrong.The Act was started mainly for being able to buy aftermarket parts like oil filters and the like and protecting the dealers from claiming the warranty void for it. NOT for changing the boost pressure, fuel ratios and everything else with a ECU tune. So please don't bring a straw man argument about a sunroof.

You place a tune on your car and it's at your own risk. I have a RS3, Audi will flag my car TD1 if I had a APR tune or the like and should my engine throw a code, fail in any nature deny my warranty coverage, rightfully so unless I can prove otherwise. Sure I can write a letter, threaten etc but the time the car just sits unless I authorize and pay for repair. Telling people to go to Wiki page as some sort of defense is not prudent. What is is informing them that if you want more power it has risks. Most of these engines are over engineered and can handle modest bumps but things happen and if they do...be prepared to pay. There is no remedy out there to protect you from that, period!

Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Forcerecontrojan
Yes and no. Let me qualify this, I am a bar admitted attorney. This act is so distorted on the internet that people are constantly saying exactly what you just said and you are wrong.The Act was started mainly for being able to buy aftermarket parts like oil filters and the like and protecting the dealers from claiming the warranty void for it. NOT for changing the boost pressure, fuel ratios and everything else with a ECU tune. So please don't bring a straw man argument about a sunroof.

You place a tune on your car and it's at your own risk. I have a RS3, Audi will flag my car TD1 if I had a APR tune or the like and should my engine throw a code, fail in any nature deny my warranty coverage, rightfully so unless I can prove otherwise. Sure I can write a letter, threaten etc but the time the car just sits unless I authorize and pay for repair. Telling people to go to Wiki page as some sort of defense is not prudent. What is is informing them that if you want more power it has risks. Most of these engines are over engineered and can handle modest bumps but things happen and if they do...be prepared to pay. There is no remedy out there to protect you from that, period!
I'm quote worried about that since the CPO warranty was a must have when I was shopping for my Mini. I called the shop that installed it and they said that they will remove the Dinan Elite for me and give me documentation that it was professionally installed and removed if i ever have an issue with warranty. Looks like my Dinan Elite will be in the classifieds soon or I can wait out the 2+ years when my warranty runs out.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
I'm quote worried about that since the CPO warranty was a must have when I was shopping for my Mini. I called the shop that installed it and they said that they will remove the Dinan Elite for me and give me documentation that it was professionally installed and removed if i ever have an issue with warranty. Looks like my Dinan Elite will be in the classifieds soon or I can wait out the 2+ years when my warranty runs out.
I would not give this much thought or worry. The Dinan tunes are easily the most harmless as they are the least aggressive in terms of pushing the power. These engines are taking far more power on the BMW models they reside in. The odds are with you that nothing will happen. I had one on my MCS with zero issue and my JCW. My dealer is a Dinan shop so its just a non issue for me. If anything goes wrong I will deal with it but since there has been so few failures of Dinan tunes from the ///M side of things I wouldn't stress.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Forcerecontrojan
Yes and no...
You place a tune on your car and it's at your own risk. ...There is no remedy out there to protect you from that, period!
Well, to use your excellent phrasing, yes and no.

It is wise advice to suggest that one places a tune on one's car at one's own risk.

But I think we can all agree that placing a Dinan on a MINI does not, de facto, void a warranty unless the CPO language expressly states that addition of any aftermarket component voids the CPO. And if there is such verbiage buried in the CPO language somewhere, it ain't necessarily binding. Vinnie's example is good. If I plug in a Dinan and my sunroof leaks, I don't care what the CPO contract says -- the dealer will need to show cause and effect or, if the sunroof leak is covered under CPO, it will remain covered, Dinan or no Dinan. A reasonable finder of fact would, I think, agree. But the snag is, I gotta fight it out on my time and my dime. That's the risk.

As to the comment that there is no remedy out there, I respectfully disagree. It's a matter of time, money, and tenacity. I think we can all agree that if it can be shown that the attachment of a tune box caused a specific malfunction or caused damage to the car, then the repair is not covered under warranty unless Dinan steps up, which they only do for the original factory warranty. And then only after the dealer denies a warranty claim and it goes back and forth, and maybe takes weeks and emails and phone calls. Thus the good advice to only plug something aftermarket in if you're willing to take the risk.

But there is a BIG difference between no remedy and remedy, with probably a hassle.

The biggest issue is that, with turbo boosters, the fun comes from feeling the extra boost, meaning driving in a "spirited" fashion. If you blow up your car due to driving in a spirited fashion, but you haven't modded the car's engine management system, then, within the warranty period, unless the dealer can demonstrate you've abused the car, you should be covered. But if you do that same spirited driving with a tune box hooked up, and the engine blows, you'd better be prepared to spend some time and money making the dealer "prove" that the failure was, in fact, specifically due to the mod.

This is not at all black and white. It's more about risk/reward, IMHO.

I did fairly exhaustive research prior to plugging in my Dinan Sport. I've had zero issues, fortunately. I do not thrash the car. I just enjoy 3psi extra kick in everyday motoring. I was confident I wouldn't damage the car with the Dinan or I wouldn't have plugged it in. But as soon as I plugged it in I assumed that if an issue arose, I'd have to advocate to get the dealer to fix it on their dime if the Dinan came into the mix.

Life is about managing risk. And reaping rewards in exchange for taking prudent risk. I felt the Dinan represented prudent risk. But risk it is. And 3 psi is worth it for me, so far.

Last edited by 2017All4; 05-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
rebonz (11-13-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Well, to use your excellent phrasing, yes and no.

It is wise advice to suggest that one places a tune on one's car at one's own risk.

But I think we can all agree that placing a Dinan on a MINI does not, de facto, void a warranty unless the CPO language expressly states that addition of any aftermarket component voids the CPO. And if there is such verbiage buried in the CPO language somewhere, it ain't necessarily binding. Vinnie's example is good. If I plug in a Dinan and my sunroof leaks, I don't care what the CPO contract says -- the dealer will need to show cause and effect or, if the sunroof leak is covered under CPO, it will remain covered, Dinan or no Dinan. A reasonable finder of fact would, I think, agree. But the snag is, I gotta fight it out on my time and my dime. That's the risk.

As to the comment that there is no remedy out there, I respectfully disagree. It's a matter of time, money, and tenacity. I think we can all agree that if it can be shown that the attachment of a tune box caused a specific malfunction or caused damage to the car, then the repair is not covered under warranty unless Dinan steps up, which they only do for the original factory warranty. And then only after the dealer denies a warranty claim and it goes back and forth, and maybe takes weeks and emails and phone calls. Thus the good advice to only plug something aftermarket in if you're willing to take the risk.

But there is a BIG difference between no remedy and remedy, with probably a hassle.

The biggest issue is that, with turbo boosters, the fun comes from feeling the extra boost, meaning driving in a "spirited" fashion. If you blow up your car due to driving in a spirited fashion, but you haven't modded the car's engine management system, then, within the warranty period, unless the dealer can demonstrate you've abused the car, you should be covered. But if you do that same spirited driving with a tune box hooked up, and the engine blows, you'd better be prepared to spend some time and money making the dealer "prove" that the failure was, in fact, specifically due to the mod.

This is not at all black and white. It's more about risk/reward, IMHO.

I did fairly exhaustive research prior to plugging in my Dinan Sport. I've had zero issues, fortunately. I do not thrash the car. I just enjoy 3psi extra kick in everyday motoring. I was confident I wouldn't damage the car with the Dinan or I wouldn't have plugged it in. But as soon as I plugged it in I assumed that if an issue arose, I'd have to advocate to get the dealer to fix it on their dime if the Dinan came into the mix.

Life is about managing risk. And reaping rewards in exchange for taking prudent risk. I felt the Dinan represented prudent risk. But risk it is. And 3 psi is worth it for me, so far.
A remedy is only that if it works. My only point is and continues to be the misinformation that there is a piece of legislation that protects you from a dealer denying your warranty should you decided to do a ECU upgrade. No there is not. Again, not using a straw man, certainly if your sunroof, alarm, infotainment etc fail they would not be able to deny you. However anything under that hood is off the table. You increase stress load which has a domino effect from fueling to cooling. That is where Dinan, APR Plus etc come in and offer to cover ( hopefully) should their tune cause that damage.

I have seen this across the spectrum, the RS3 is the recent one as the engine stock was under reported by 40HP as all the tuners have basically found it to be 440 not 400 from the factory. Their tunes are adding up to 90 and over 100lbs depending on tune. Audi took the step of instructing dealers to hook every RS3 up to their protected servers ( meaning dealers cannot alter or change) to download how many times the ECU has been flashed. Anything more than 3 and TD1 here you come...on a 25k motor. Can you fight it? certainly, will you lose, most likely. I decided 440 was enough but I did do a CAI as their policy towards bolt ons like cutback and CAI is far more user friendly. Porsche is another one that walks the fine line, I have a GT3, I track it often yet Porsche denied me once on a failed fuel pump blaming it on a track day, two calls and they covered it but it was a hassle. I carefully explained how do you market and sell to a group a motorsport car and then hide behind a warranty denial when a GT3 fails on its second track day? All of them are a PITA.

I am buying the GP3 for a track car, I hope Mini understands that but at 50-60k I am prepared for consequences it is far more a bitter pill to swallow on a 175k car.

I absolutely agree that everyone of these turbo engines can handle the modest boost increases offered by Dinan or they would not have survived this long.

2017All4 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
Just a point to note....our b48's (JCW Hardtop) are not the exact same as the BMW Version. The BMW Version has a stronger crankshaft and a lower compression ratio to handle more boost than the Mini B48...something to think about.. Those are the B48's coming in the F54's and F60's with over 300 HP. PROBABLY the type the GP will get...

225 kW version[[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=BMW_B48&action=edit&section=9]edit]

In the BMW X2 M35i, engine features a reinforced crankshaft with larger main bearings and new pistons with a lower 9.5:1 compression ratio. This allows the engine to take more boost pressure from a larger turbocharger, which blows compressed air through a reworked intake tract.[12] Revealed in May 2019, this engine is shared with the new MINI Countryman & Clubman JCW models. Increasing from previous outputs by as much as 55kw/75hp and 100nm to 450nm.[13]
  • 2019–present F39 X2 M35i
  • 2019–present F54 Clubman JCW
  • 2019–present F60 Countryman JCW

170 kW version[[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=BMW_B48&action=edit&section=6]edit]

• 2014–present F56 MINI JCW Hardtop and JCW Cabrio (320 Nm)[9]
  • 2017–present F56 MINI JCW Clubman and JCW Countryman ALL4 (350 Nm)
  • 2015–present F22 225i
  • 2016–present F48 X1 25i/28i
  • 2017–present F39 X2 25i/28i

Quick Reply: JCW Dinan Elite Installed