JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Tire "Reset" Button Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 03:56 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Tire "Reset" Button Question

I have an '06 R52 MCS JCW car that I pulled most of the interior out of tracking down electrical problems, plus I pulled the e-brake console out because I thought I was gonna have to replace both e-brake cables, turns out the cables are fine.......

Anyway, I pulled the console and noticed that I have a "tire reset" button on the console, but there was no electrical wire plugin attached to the switch, and I looked all over under the carpet for the connector, nothing found........I have a "DSC" toggle switch on the dash as my '04 R53 MCS does, and I know the "reset" button on the R53 works because I have had to use it once.......

So why don't I have wires going to the switch on the JCW car?

Bryan

Old 11-06-2018, 06:39 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
It should have had the wires/plug there, maybe someone replaced the console and stashed the wires up front???

Old 11-06-2018, 07:19 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Wayne, I have most of the interior out of the R52 short of the carpet. I've looked all over where the reset wires and connector should be coming out under the carpet to the switch, nothing found....i suppose the console could have been replaced, but it sure didn't look like it when i removed it to gain access to the e-brake cables

I'm at a loss here for the reset connector, if it's even supposed to have one

Bryan

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Every one I have ever taken apart had that switch connected.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Originally Posted by co0p3r
Every one I have ever taken apart had that switch connected.
I'm inclined to agree with you, wiring should be there if the button is supposed to be there as well.....so short of pulling up the carpet, which is real easy now that I have everything out of the car except the carpet, I guess I have to dig deeper under the carpet and pads. I find it strange that the reset button is there but nothing connected to it.

I'll look tomorrow for the connector, will be easier once I get the NAV unit and the HK amp out of the way so I can get a better view under the carpet

Bryan

Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by A383Wing
Wayne, I have most of the interior out of the R52 short of the carpet. I've looked all over where the reset wires and connector should be coming out under the carpet to the switch, nothing found....i suppose the console could have been replaced, but it sure didn't look like it when i removed it to gain access to the e-brake cables

I'm at a loss here for the reset connector, if it's even supposed to have one

Bryan
I am sure it came with one as they all did. It is read from the sensors on the hubs, as it reads off the ABS system and not really the tires. (by turning speed, not air pressure.)
The DSC works by braking wheels for stability. Off the same ABS sensors.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Yep, the connector should be there somewhere, unless it got cut off at some point.

As Wayne said, the TPMS on the 1st gens determines a low tire by using the wheel speed sensors instead of actual air pressure. In theory, all of the tires should be rotating at the same speed. If a tire loses pressure, the circumference of the tire will be smaller so that tire will rotate faster and the warning will sound. The downside to this is if all of the tires lose pressure at the same rate, like if the car has been stored for a long time, no warning will be given because all of the tires will still be rotating at the same speed. Also, the system doesn't indicate which tire is low so you should check all of them if the warning sounds.

On a 1st gen it's probably a good idea to check your tire pressures and reset the warning system every month, or two.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Quick update on the reset button issue......I found the wire connector.....had to take the HK amp box out from under the passenger seat and pull the carpet out of the way.....the wire and connector was way down under the carpet on the passenger side.....pulled it back up and fed it through the slit in the carpet that's under the console.....

Now I have to figure out this interior jigsaw puzzle and put everything back in......I have most everything out of the car except the right rear interior panel and both door panels......

Bryan