General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know of any MINI shops in WV to reset airbag light? or reset tricks on an 05?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM
savk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know of any MINI shops in WV to reset airbag light? or reset tricks on an 05?

I live in central WV and need a repair shop that can reset my airbag light on my 05 MCS. The BMW dealer, 60 miles away, said they can not do it. There are 2 local independant shops, one's snap-on guy said he could do it, but he couldnt. The other is a euro shop that just had his equipment updated, but his equipment would not give him the option to service the airbag light, just the engine light. He's looking into it.
According to the MINI website, the closest dealers are Pittsburg, Columbus (Dublin) and Winston Salem. All 3-5 hours.

Anyway, short story made ridiculously long, I need the light out to get it inspected and dont want to drive 3 hours one way.
Soo, anyone know of any shops in WV?
Or any tool that can reset an 05 SRS light? or other tricks to get the light out?

If not, Anyone have any experience w/ the Dublin OH MINI dealer? (might just take a trip to the Columbus zoo and go there if I have too)

Thanks

Oh FYI, the light came on after I took the front seats out. Its back together now.

Last edited by savk; 08-26-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Might give these folks a call: www.europeanimportcar.com in Beckley/Sophia a call. They are the only shop on our list in your area so far. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 AM
savk
Neutral
Well, I guess you can take him off your shop list.
He informed me that he does not have the equipment to work on MINIs and in the 25 years he's been in buisness I'm the first that has ever asked him about them, so he says he "has no intention of buying the equipment"!
I kinda guessed that when I read his home page, its a hoot! Check it out!
Here one line: "Continuing to perform this type of work - after 21 years -
is Brutal - in dealing with an ignorant demanding public."

LOL!!
Anyway, thanks for the try buzzsaw.

One more thing, there are multiple companys that can reset your original airbag module (I've used them multiple times for other cars and it worked), so does it seem possible that I could send the module to them, have them clear it, and reinstall it, hook up the battery, and have the light go out??
Seems like a long shot but for $55, could it work?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 AM
vehix411
Neutral
buy me a plane ticket ill do it or other option you have is to ship out you airbag unit to reset the trouble code
i can do it for $80 if interested PM me

Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 AM
savk
Neutral
Everyone I contacted said that it wouldnt work. Myairbags.com said they could reset a hard (crash) code (said they had done it on many MINIs) but not a soft code (unhooked, rehooked seats).
My question is, even if they can reset a hard code, wouldnt I still have a soft code from having the module unhooked? In which case I would still have to go to the dealer to get that reset, in which case I might as well have went it the first place?

I know reset modules work on many cars. Maybe you know more about MINI modules.

If your willing to offer a gaurentee that it will work, my light will go out, I'll send it to you. Otherwise I'm planning a trip to Dublin OH in a couple weeks, they will do it for $55. BUT I'd rather send it to you than drive 3+ hours.
Let me know what you think...

Old 09-04-2011, 05:17 PM
savk
Neutral
UPDATE: I found someone in central WV that can work on MINIs, if anyone cares (I dont see alot of MINIs around here, which is why I got one!)
Eurocentral Automotive in Flatwoods WV. (u can google it for contact info)
Anyway he was able to reset my light for $60. Nice guy, I would recommend him. Buzzsaw, you may want to add him to your shop list in place of the other guy.
Thanks for the replies,

Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks. It will be added.