Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

What's with the 1100 Mile Brake Service "reset". Changed all pads but can't reset.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Mike Miller
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's with the 1100 Mile Brake Service "reset". Changed all pads but can't reset.

On my 2011 Justa, my rear pad sensor finally tripped. This is the first time since I bought it 3 years ago used. I decided that since I was unsure of when and how they were replaced previously and because I knew I needed rotors, I decided to replace all pads, front and back, all 4 rotors, flush the brake lines (which it also needed), and also replaced the wear sensors front and back. I used OEM sensors and pads actually. I really liked how the brakes felt (aside from the dust) and figured no need to change it up and OEM is what was already on there.

Anyway, I was getting the brake service light for the rear which is what tripped. The front still had some wear to go, but was worth changing while I was at it.

When I reset the rear pads, it changed from like -250 to 35,000. Perfect. I got to the front brakes and even though it hadn't tripped, I wanted to reset it so it would be accurate timing since I just replaced them. IIRC, it was on 1100 milesn however, when I went through the proper rest procedure, it stayed at 1100. I did it 3 times and it was the same result.

So I was searching on this topic and there are loads of ppl who specifically mention the 1100 miles. So many mentions, I'm fact, it can't be coincidence. Is this on purpose, meaning it stays at 1100 miles until it trips, then it will start counting down? Sort of a staged trip. If so, that kinda makes sense, but if this is how it works, why isn't the rear the same way?

Thanks!