2020 MINI GP Article

  #1  
Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 PM
02fanatic
02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,070
Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts
Thumbs up 2020 MINI GP Article

motoringfile.com has a good article on the upcoming MINI GP planned for a 2020 model release in 2019. Good review, but as it spells out, the fancy bulging panels on the GP Concept car are off the table as of now, so it will look much more tame than the Concept GP...but still FAST and very cool!...can you say 280hp with 300ft-lbs torque? It will be the fastest MINI ever!

Dan, save your pennies, as the base price will likely be above $45,000 (no surprise at all). It will be worth it to have one of the only 3,000 GP's!

I wonder what color options they will have?

I can't believe my 2015 JCW is 4 model years old already and it still has less than 1200 miles! That's ok....I still have a new JCW! :-) Oh yes, the article said that MINI is considering only having the GP in manual transmission, in keeping with past releases......I really doubt they will do that, but I still prefer the manual so that's cool either way!
 
  #2  
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 AM
cornjuice's Avatar
cornjuice
cornjuice is offline
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NCAL
Posts: 442
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
almost there with my N14.. think I'll save 40k$ and just drive a 1.6L
 
  #3  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:25 AM
Dave.O
Dave.O is offline
Banned
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 512
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
I hope it is not as ugly as the car show GP and it should only be a manual. It’s a sports car for god sake.

45K for my MINI is still way too much.
 
  #4  
Old 11-01-2018, 05:27 PM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
motoringfile.com has a good article on the upcoming MINI GP planned for a 2020 model release in 2019. Good review, but as it spells out, the fancy bulging panels on the GP Concept car are off the table as of now, so it will look much more tame than the Concept GP...but still FAST and very cool!...can you say 280hp with 300ft-lbs torque? It will be the fastest MINI ever!

Dan, save your pennies, as the base price will likely be above $45,000 (no surprise at all). It will be worth it to have one of the only 3,000 GP's!

I wonder what color options they will have?

I can't believe my 2015 JCW is 4 model years old already and it still has less than 1200 miles! That's ok....I still have a new JCW! :-) Oh yes, the article said that MINI is considering only having the GP in manual transmission, in keeping with past releases......I really doubt they will do that, but I still prefer the manual so that's cool either way!
I am hoarding my pennies and making plans now! I have already been checking on a wrap that is basically the colors of the concept and it is doable for less than 2K, so it is in the budget if necessary. I am still stoked about it, however, the JCW now has 38K+ miles that have been trouble free so far (Knock on Wood) and it may need some refurbishing! It is still a wonderfully trouble free machine to-date and working on #5 set of tires including the OEM runcraps that crapped out with less the 2k miles! I don't expect the GP to be a daily driver like the JCW and I don't imagine is will be as comfortable as either. I do hope it is available with an auto tranny as I love the paddles on the JCW and so do my grinding knees!
 
  #5  
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 AM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have seen posts about deposits on the F series GPs. I have left voice mails and sent an email to my salesmen, who is an avid mini guy and has several, but he only works part time so I have not heard from him yet about a deposit on a GP. This of course any chance of getting a bargain deal on one and I can live with that, but the real question is are you assured of a GP if you do so? Is there a dealer allocation for the GPs? Do volume dealers get first shot? There are limited options for the GP. Does anyone know what they are, or might be based upon having knowledge of what if any, options were offered on earlier models? Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!

My mini guy just called me and advised me that I am #1 on their list. They have a board with the names of of customers that are wanting the GP, and we are #1, so I am fairly confident that we will get one. I have read that their will be limited options. Current speculation is 5 and it will be a more streetable auto than the earlier versions. I am excited about this new one with the power and technological advances over the earlier GPs. Alas, there will most likely be no bargains!
 

Last edited by KYDan; 11-28-2018 at 04:02 PM.
  #6  
Old 12-01-2018, 02:25 AM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Another article from motoring file.com on the upcoming GP3, this time MINI USA Marketing Pat McKenna and Product Planning Manger Ishaan Khatri give some further hints:

THE 2020 JCW GP WILL BE VERY FAST AND VERY LIMITED

Ok that sounds great and we learn that 3000 will be build, thats 1000 more than on the previous one ( Limited ?)

Also we might see the final car at the Nürburgring as "the next series of prototypes hit the Nurburgring" in spring 2019. I doubt that this will include a fast round from Augusto Farfus( BTG time under 8 min in traffic-great guy with his sweet wife
, in a superior car. 3000 cars is a lot on this niche. Built under the new regulations of "Worldwide Harmonized Light-Duty Vehicles Test Procedure", the gain in performance will cover the loss you have from that new particle filter, and nobody can tell me, that many will feel that dramatically if we talk about 280 HP. So I guess the GP3 will be the perfect surplus usage at the end of F56 life circle and might be a nice JCW.
 

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 02-05-2019 at 05:33 AM.
  #7  
Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
B48-e


:-)
 
  #8  
Old 02-03-2019, 01:59 PM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Current speculation includes a lot of chatter that it will be 300+ horsepower and available only with an auto tranny. It appears that there are a lot of (un) educated guesses about what it will be until mini releases the specifications. The 2.0 can capably produce and handle 300 horsepower. I have been running my F56 JCW with 270 for over 3 years with no issues and love the auto tranny, the paddles are the bomb.
 
  #9  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
Current speculation includes a lot of chatter that it will be 300+ horsepower and available only with an auto tranny. It appears that there are a lot of (un) educated guesses about what it will be until mini releases the specifications. The 2.0 can capably produce and handle 300 horsepower. I have been running my F56 JCW with 270 for over 3 years with no issues and love the auto tranny, the paddles are the bomb.
Lets see whats right of that uneducated talk, I will remember you ;-)

 
  #10  
Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 150
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If they make it AWD with the GA8G45XAW which includes the front M Sport differential, then I wouldn't mind it being an automatic as much. If it's FWD though, I'd rather it be a manual or DCT, apparently Magna has a hybrid version of the 7DCT300 as well.
 
The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (02-04-2019)
  #11  
Old 02-04-2019, 04:43 AM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
If they make it AWD with the GA8G45XAW which includes the front M Sport differential, then I wouldn't mind it being an automatic as much. If it's FWD though, I'd rather it be a manual or DCT, apparently Magna has a hybrid version of the 7DCT300 as well.
AWD would be terrific although I still prefer the auto tranny. It is fun speculating about what it will be. I love the looks of the one they are showing, but I doubt it will look quite like that when it is all said and done. Still, it should be a fun machine with good power and we can always tweak it to make it our own.
 
The following users liked this post:
normtrum (02-11-2019)
  #12  
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 AM
elsnaibs's Avatar
elsnaibs
elsnaibs is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 146
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
My 2017 JCW is already more powerful with just a tune, and I haven't really done any power mods to warrant a stage 2 or 3 tune. AWD would be the best, to be honest, but it still seems like it will be well out of my price range, so it's a moot point.
 
  #13  
Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 AM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan View Post
Lets see whats right of that uneducated talk, I will remember you ;-)
The possible short bloc for a GP3 - needs def some sort of modified driveshaft. By the way I like the structure coating even decorated with carbon intarsia,, topped with aluminum fake logo - big cinema, this time with substance. Why they don't pimp the suction inlet as well with some structure coating to win any tuning award is their problem, the part is identical to at any 2.0 T B48 from 2014.

It might fit a present F56 with manual gearbox as there is a also a B4820A X2 FWD MT, unfortunately it cost 8.500 Euros, lets see maybe that comes down with early problems and resulting substancial dealer discounts. Crankshaft issue B4820B 3.800,-- Euro





 

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 02-05-2019 at 05:27 AM.
  #14  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:34 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 150
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan View Post
The possible short bloc for a GP3 - needs def some sort of modified driveshaft. By the way I like the structure coating even decorated with carbon intarsia,, topped with aluminum fake logo - big cinema, this time with substance. Why they don't pimp the suction inlet as well with some structure coating to win any tuning award is their problem, the part is identical to at any 2.0 T B48 from 2014.
It will be interesting to see if we can finally get some B48 turbo swaps now that the B48A20E is running a different turbo. It's running a different crankshaft and pistons though as well.
 
  #15  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It's running a different crankshaft and pistons though as well.
add to *though as well* drastic Improved cooling, for : Water Air Oil.

We will see this motor with MINI (Achtung "uneducated talk follows) already in 2019 used in a JCW GP Version for F56 and F54.


 
  #16  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:32 AM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
From the Motoring File today.

The State of the Manual Transmission in MINIs in the US

Luckily MINI USA is bucking this trend. In every the lowest price “Classic” configuration of every MINI mode you can get a no-cost manual transmission (with the exception of the hybrid). In talking with MINI USA recently they reinforced their commitment to the manual transmission and are in fact leaning in to it as a differentiator they have with the rest of the marketplace.

That said there will be some bad news later this year when the upgraded 302 hp JCW Countryman and Clubman arrive as automatic only. And are sources are will resolute that the 2020 GP will indeed be automatic only.
 
  #17  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM
02fanatic
02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,070
Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm finally learning how to use the paddles in sport mode on our 2015 Countryman S (which I do love!), but I still like the manual trans better in my F56 JCW (despite its flaws)….it's just more natural to me when shifting! I guess I'm too old to change but I truly love both MINI's that we have!
 
  #18  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 AM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Minis are easy to love! I really was not too fond of the one that we had for the North Coast 500, but it was a base Countryman, but it was better than I expected! I was expecting an R56S, but somehow that changed from the initial plan during the interim between the initial booking and arriving in Scotland.
 
  #19  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The 395 hp engine accelerates the MINI GP Clubman 0 to 100km/h in just 3.5 seconds. A sequential 6-speed transmission directs engine power to the permanent all-wheel drive system, guaranteeing optimum power transmission at all times, while gear shifting is achieved using wheel-mounted paddles. Fully adjustable dampers at the front and rear ensure an optimum connection with the road. The maximum speed is up to 290 km/h, depending on the gearbox ratio (specific to each race track).

"The MINI GP Clubman combines all the hallmark MINI design features presented in the sportiest and most exciting style. A MINI like this has never been seen before," says Christopher Weil, Head of MINI Exterior Design.

THERE WILL BE 2 GP`S
 
  #20  
Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM
2017All4's Avatar
2017All4
2017All4 is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California Native still livin' in LaLa Land
Posts: 1,576
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan View Post
The 395 hp engine accelerates the MINI GP Clubman 0 to 100km/h in just 3.5 seconds. A sequential 6-speed transmission directs engine power to the permanent all-wheel drive system, guaranteeing optimum power transmission at all times, while gear shifting is achieved using wheel-mounted paddles. Fully adjustable dampers at the front and rear ensure an optimum connection with the road. The maximum speed is up to 290 km/h, depending on the gearbox ratio (specific to each race track).

"The MINI GP Clubman combines all the hallmark MINI design features presented in the sportiest and most exciting style. A MINI like this has never been seen before," says Christopher Weil, Head of MINI Exterior Design.

THERE WILL BE 2 GP`S
I will be 66 years old when/if the GP Clubman becomes available.....MUST NOT BUY ONE...MUST NOT BUY ONE... well, maybe..... why not die driving one of them, fast??
 
  #21  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:17 PM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan
KYDan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 447
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4 View Post
I will be 66 years old when/if the GP Clubman becomes available.....MUST NOT BUY ONE...MUST NOT BUY ONE... well, maybe..... why not die driving one of them, fast??
Go for it! I was 67 when I bought a C7 corvette Z06 and I showed it the proper respect after an unintentional donut! 70 now and going for the GP3. Don't let the old man in!

Here is the latest information from the BMW blog.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/02/12/m...n-with-300-hp/

Good News!
 

Last edited by KYDan; 02-12-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additional information
The following 2 users liked this post by KYDan:
2017All4 (02-09-2019), Minnie.the.Moocher (02-09-2019)
  #22  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 PM
TheBigNewt
TheBigNewt is offline
OVERDRIVE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,215
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan View Post
The 395 hp engine accelerates the MINI GP Clubman 0 to 100km/h in just 3.5 seconds. A sequential 6-speed transmission directs engine power to the permanent all-wheel drive system, guaranteeing optimum power transmission at all times, while gear shifting is achieved using wheel-mounted paddles. Fully adjustable dampers at the front and rear ensure an optimum connection with the road. The maximum speed is up to 290 km/h, depending on the gearbox ratio (specific to each race track).

"The MINI GP Clubman combines all the hallmark MINI design features presented in the sportiest and most exciting style. A MINI like this has never been seen before," says Christopher Weil, Head of MINI Exterior Design.

THERE WILL BE 2 GP`S
And when may we expect that bad boy to come to market? And at what price pray tell?
 
  #23  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
To those which never doubt -not the 260hp pea counters

3000 units........ wait for discount..... No buy one enjoy and have a cayman burger.


https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/deuts...ooper-works-gp
 

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 02-12-2019 at 11:12 PM.
  #24  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 AM
02fanatic
02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,070
Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
Go for it! I was 67 when I bought a C7 corvette Z06 and I showed it the proper respect after an unintentional donut! 70 now and going for the GP3. Don't let the old man in!

Here is the latest information from the BMW blog.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/02/12/m...n-with-300-hp/

Good News!
Great article! It reminds me how I felt back in early 2015 “before” the new F56 JCW was released and my extra wait for the manual transmission. The anticipation was crazy and I’m sure you will feel even more excitement than me by waiting for your GP3!

Stay young at heart! I’m right behind you at 69!
 
  #25  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Clutch Wotan
Clutch Wotan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Germany Hamburg
Posts: 302
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post


Great article! It reminds me how I felt back in early 2015 “before” the new F56 JCW was released and my extra wait for the manual transmission. The anticipation was crazy and I’m sure you will feel even more excitement than me by waiting for your GP3!

Stay young at heart! I’m right behind you at 69!
another good article

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/m...s-gp-iii-spied

and now aim out her ........great car MINI, so sad you have no Autobahn.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 MINI GP Article


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: