JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 12:42 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With everything that seems to being dropped, or changed by Mini due to their latest spy shots that have been posted here, I think they've taken too much away from the video from the original Motortrend Magazine article. It seems to have gotten to the point where I'm have serious doubts about going for the GP3. I have just completed ALL my upgrades on my "16 JCW, including my incredible flash tune by Mario with the stage ll Power RPM map.....and I'm very happy with it. All I have to do to finish up my car is a new hood from Duell AG, my new rear wing also from Duell, my side stripe kits, and my Duell logos for both the body, and the windows in my car. Now I'm thinking what is the advantage of buying the GPS? It's starting to look like a normal Mini. Now I'm well aware that most of you will do some mods on your new GP3, so it will still be faster that my heavily tuned JCW, but I'm just not sure the difference would be that substantial. Plus I own both of my Mini's outright. My f56 JCW, and my wife's F60 CS All 4. So zero car payments right now. Not that this is a deciding factor. I wouldn't care if I had a new car payment. For me its simply a matter of why move forward, when there doesn't seem to be a big advantage?

With that being said, my SA (and pal) has told me I can go ahead and order the GP3. and if I don't like it when it arrives, I don't have to buy it. So if you look at it from that perspective, I really have nothing to loose. But....I also don't want to be a jerk and take up somebody else"s build spot. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping my JCW. Due to all my travel for work, and the fact that I have a company car, my JCW only has 4200 miles on it.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
The original video was of a concept car. Final production cars rarely have all the features and looks of the concept car. They do take the styling cues from the concept but it's usually not as wild.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:31 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
The original video was of a concept car. Final production cars rarely have all the features and looks of the concept car. They do take the styling cues from the concept but it's usually not as wild.
You are 100% correct, and I understand it. It just seems like they're dropping too much from the original concept. Too much to make me justify going for the GP3. I'm probably at the point where I'm going to pass. Especially since my JCW is almost done.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:54 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I’m confused, would that be a State side street legal version of the GP? That is, a car as it comes off the show room floor? At 1100 kg, or 2420 lbs that would be a 400 lb reduction. That seem like a lot of weigh to remove from a Gen III JCW.
Its obvious that the final weight makes the music. What I mention are no riddles, a F56 GP3 with over 3oo hp "as a must" I wrote 3 years ago in the German F56 Forum, was considered with laughter. My suggestion 6 years ago for Red Top and Connaught green for the JCW funny wise found a ear. Maybe Iam a riddle rebel ?

When I talk to tuners i know, use and respect there is always a good laughter as well about some forum gossip , and one thing those guys have all in common they never write anything anywhere about anyone

Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see a GP that is 400 lbs lighter than the JCW. It just seems that with all of the certifications required for a car in the states, it would be hard to remove a large amount of weight without the need to re-certified various parts of the car and I would be surprised to see BMW spend the money on recertification of parts just for a one of a kind car like the GP. I guess we will see in a year or so...

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see a GP that is 400 lbs lighter than the JCW. It just seems that with all of the certifications required for a car in the states, it would be hard to remove a large amount of weight without the need to re-certified various parts of the car and I would be surprised to see BMW spend the money on recertification of parts just for a one of a kind car like the GP. I guess we will see in a year or so...
It's not going to be anywhere near 400lbs lighter than stock. He lives on fantasy land of imaginary performance Mini's.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by charrigan
It's not going to be anywhere near 400lbs lighter than stock. He lives on fantasy land of imaginary performance Mini's.
Imaginary world why do you insult others, like the clowns which saw 250 hp ))))))) , so really keen to see your F56
Mine for sure faster and lighter than GP3 Stock. Basicly all what GP3 comes with, but
you have that certainly as well, to judge Nordschleife lap times and weights.

Flywheel and battery already 40 kg in my fantasy league the kilos drop fast.

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 06-04-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
I say it now the last time, I believe that MINI this times want to set a "hallmark " maybe I am wrong, but I don't care as I will also convert the ordered GP3 in Monster Justa should it fail 7.20

Old 06-05-2019, 04:45 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
Imaginary world why do you insult others, like the clowns which saw 250 hp ))))))) , so really keen to see your F56
Mine for sure faster and lighter than GP3 Stock. Basicly all what GP3 comes with, but
you have that certainly as well, to judge Nordschleife lap times and weights.

Flywheel and battery already 40 kg in my fantasy league the kilos drop fast.
My car and your car have zero bearing on what the GP3 is going to be. I dont know why you brought this up other than to flex your e-p33n.

Your claims of what the GP3 will be are simply pulled out of nowhere aka fantasy land. The fact that you think that the GP3 will run 7:20 on the ring shows how insane your claims are. Do you have any idea what it takes to run a 7:20 on the ring? That is faster than a gen 4 ACR which has 1700lbs of downforce, 600hp, and 380mm more tire touching the road.

Lets look at the facts:

There was an interview with mini engineers a month or two ago that simply stated they want to beat the GP2 ring time and they are NOT aiming for the fastest FWD around the ring. If they are only going after being the "fastest mini ever" which is a slow (by today's standards) 8:23 goal. I will bet money that it will be SLOWER than the 7:52.

The new transmission and engine are heavy. There has yet to be any proof that the GP3 will be available in anything but auto. The x2 m35i is actually 60lbs heavier vs a similarly equipped xdrive28i due to the added cooling and drivetrain weight.

You have stated multiple times that the GP3 will have a cage as well. Simple crash test regulatory hurdles are against you on this. BMW is not going to spend the millions needed to meet these regulations.

As I have stated before. You need to look at the big picture. Who owns mini and what performance figures do those halo vehicles put down? You honestly think bmw is going to allow a mini to be as fast or faster than any of the current M cars? Why would they sink millions into development costs for a low production car which is part of a dying brand that is barely staying afloat?

This car is going to be public very soon and I will be sitting back with my popcorn to see who is right.

Last edited by charrigan; 06-05-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Let's keep the discussion spirited, but CORDIAL, fellow motorers.

Sincerely,
The Moderator

Old 06-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
There is rumor the car is shown at the 24H race 21th-23th in a prelimary gig !
It would be really weired if they wouldnt state some performance datas as well and clear the picture.

To see who is right ?

I like your idea of beating 8.23 , but the latest record is Renault with 7.40 thats not bad for a 1.5 ton factory hatch, and allready
much faster than your barrier of 7,53.

7,20 ( I said 7,2X) ist quite a number and i doubt, that BMW/MINI testdrivers will come close, as well.

P.S. Do you think the big boxed wing stabilize the car at 270 km/h ?

Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
If you are referring to the wing that shows up in the video posted here...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4466149

Hopefully, this wing is a true design that has a real function and that MINI/BMW has some sort of testing that shows it works. If it is more of a styling piece than functional, it will be an unnecessary drag.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 06-13-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by normtrum
With everything that seems to being dropped, or changed by Mini due to their latest spy shots that have been posted here, I think they've taken too much away from the video from the original Motortrend Magazine article. It seems to have gotten to the point where I'm have serious doubts about going for the GP3. I have just completed ALL my upgrades on my "16 JCW, including my incredible flash tune by Mario with the stage ll Power RPM map.....and I'm very happy with it. All I have to do to finish up my car is a new hood from Duell AG, my new rear wing also from Duell, my side stripe kits, and my Duell logos for both the body, and the windows in my car. Now I'm thinking what is the advantage of buying the GPS? It's starting to look like a normal Mini. Now I'm well aware that most of you will do some mods on your new GP3, so it will still be faster that my heavily tuned JCW, but I'm just not sure the difference would be that substantial. Plus I own both of my Mini's outright. My f56 JCW, and my wife's F60 CS All 4. So zero car payments right now. Not that this is a deciding factor. I wouldn't care if I had a new car payment. For me its simply a matter of why move forward, when there doesn't seem to be a big advantage?

With that being said, my SA (and pal) has told me I can go ahead and order the GP3. and if I don't like it when it arrives, I don't have to buy it. So if you look at it from that perspective, I really have nothing to loose. But....I also don't want to be a jerk and take up somebody else"s build spot. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping my JCW. Due to all my travel for work, and the fact that I have a company car, my JCW only has 4200 miles on it.
There is no ordering one now. You can place a deposit and the dealer holds your money but other than that...nothing. It's not in the computer system and 2/3rds of the posts on this thread are just wild guesses and dealer BS. No one knows anything concrete other than the original statement from Mini and even that is subject to change. It could end up with more power or even less. 400 pounds of weight savings is frankly ridiculous. I had a 2011 Boxster Spyder that had no roof , AC, Infotainment and a stupid 3k option lightweight battery and it saved a whopping 76 pounds even with aluminum doors! This is Porsche we're talking about...there is not 400 pounds to save on the mini. At best and it would be heroic ...60 pounds would be a huge win.

As far as wing, it's mostly cosmetic as any downforce it is generating would be useful only on the track. They needed to retain something from the Concept as the roof scoop was lost and the wide body, roll bar etc. BTW No roll bar in the US as they are not DOT approved, Porsche owners have learned this lesson over the years when you are looking at European models on GT cars getting them from the factory.

My expectations are for 1-2 cool colors that are gP only, livery a strong engine with DCT and most of what we see on the test mules. I'm good with that as it will come with the LCD gauge cluster, probably some nice wheels and tires ( not run flats) and exhaust. Pricing will be <50k to keep it away from the strong BMW 2 series editions as well as the CLA AMG and possibly a new smaller Audi model. But GP's are a limited run but based on how easy it was for me to get a GP allocation ( number 1) in car crazy OC that usually has ADM on everything!!!! Mini knows they cannot go crazy on this car price wise and development wise.

The following users liked this post:
normtrum (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:56 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Forcerecontrojan
There is no ordering one now. You can place a deposit and the dealer holds your money but other than that...nothing. It's not in the computer system and 2/3rds of the posts on this thread are just wild guesses and dealer BS. No one knows anything concrete other than the original statement from Mini and even that is subject to change. It could end up with more power or even less. 400 pounds of weight savings is frankly ridiculous. I had a 2011 Boxster Spyder that had no roof , AC, Infotainment and a stupid 3k option lightweight battery and it saved a whopping 76 pounds even with aluminum doors! This is Porsche we're talking about...there is not 400 pounds to save on the mini. At best and it would be heroic ...60 pounds would be a huge win.

As far as wing, it's mostly cosmetic as any downforce it is generating would be useful only on the track. They needed to retain something from the Concept as the roof scoop was lost and the wide body, roll bar etc. BTW No roll bar in the US as they are not DOT approved, Porsche owners have learned this lesson over the years when you are looking at European models on GT cars getting them from the factory.

My expectations are for 1-2 cool colors that are gP only, livery a strong engine with DCT and most of what we see on the test mules. I'm good with that as it will come with the LCD gauge cluster, probably some nice wheels and tires ( not run flats) and exhaust. Pricing will be <50k to keep it away from the strong BMW 2 series editions as well as the CLA AMG and possibly a new smaller Audi model. But GP's are a limited run but based on how easy it was for me to get a GP allocation ( number 1) in car crazy OC that usually has ADM on everything!!!! Mini knows they cannot go crazy on this car price wise and development wise.
Ya I can't really disagree with pretty much everything you're saying! Not that I was looking for anything in the first place. Like I mentioned earlier they seem to be cutting pretty much everything from the concept. The only 2 things that I think they will at least come close to is the wing, and the potential power coming out of the B48.
I'm now at about .....oh I'd say 96.3% sure that I'm going to pass. I mean with all the work I'm just getting close to finishing up on my '16 F56 JCW, it just doesn't make sense for me to stick with the "3". To be brutally honest, if I were to make any changes at this point I think I would strongly consider just going with the M2 with the S55 (I prefer the N55 cause it sounds better), or pulling the trigger on the 2020 Supra.....which the more I read and look at...the more I'm diggin it! But again, I'll prob stick to my own JCW. Hell i own the thing outright anyways. Both the Beemer and the Supra are very tempting, but probably not!

Good post though my man! I'd be interested in hearing (reading I guess) what you think of the new Supra.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I dug up some older pictures of the concept car and there are “cosmic” things (like the aggressive looking splitter and bumper piece) that it had that could make it through to production as they are “easy” to manufacture and it would be fun if MINI did some of those. Those sorts of things would have value in the JCW mod market too, much like the GP 2 diffuser was for the Gen II MINIs. Now, whether any of it makes it into production is another story all together.

I am also curious about suspension bits it might have over the JCW, again as the GP 2 had over the Gen II JCW. The rumor mill seems to be quiet on that end, or I have missed things.

If that box wing does make it into production, I do hope it is tested and designed to actually not be a literal drag at highway speeds, even if it has little function at those speeds. The concept wing seems to have too much material in the air stream to not be a aerodynamic loss in the drag department.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
to those of you which never doubt

As said a prelimary launch of the GP3 prior to IAA will happen at the upcoming 24hour race. The car will be shown to a invited vips, mybe US Mr. Bridger is part of it.

Short before the race start 15:30 a GP3 will hit the track to show its potential to the public. You should see that than as well, if you stream the coverage.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
to those of you which never doubt

As said a prelimary launch of the GP3 prior to IAA will happen at the upcoming 24hour race. The car will be shown to a invited vips, mybe US Mr. Bridger is part of it.

Short before the race start 15:30 a GP3 will hit the track to show its potential to the public. You should see that than as well, if you stream the coverage.
Do you mean LeMans? I just got back and saw nothing Mini Cooper...if not THAT 24 hour race which one are you referencing?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Forcerecontrojan
Do you mean LeMans? I just got back and saw nothing Mini Cooper...if not THAT 24 hour race which one are you referencing?
LeMans that upside down motorway bore ? No I mean the 24 hours Nürburgring.

https://www.sporttotal.tv/47-adac-to...?embed&lang=de

Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
As said MINI will release fast lap of GP3 - you find that right of the ashtray !

Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
As said MINI will release fast lap of GP3 - you find that right of the ashtray !

If that is the true official lap time then you can reference my post months ago stating it will be slower than any M car

Last edited by charrigan; 06-21-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Thats probably what the BMW Testdriver is good for, your reference is appreciated and mirrors the tradition of GP`s. But thanks for the picture

Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
The car I didn't see driving, but at 15:00 BMW uploaded that
and show their stunning "Kleinwagen"

Facebook Post

Old 06-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry guys but that's extremely slow, type r is in the 7:40s and not to mention Renault's new record

Old 06-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Alexandru Doncea
I'm sorry guys but that's extremely slow, type r is in the 7:40s and not to mention Renault's new record
You mixed that up the lastest is Renault 7:40 and than Honda R, but faster was the JP Golf Clubsport 7.37 last year . Maybe MINI picked a average driver, to show how superior it is ?

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article