JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
MINI used to be a sleeper, but not anymore. It's a wannabee with the competition of Asian manufacturers.
The GP's are for Europe, collectors, and US posers (where in the US are you going to track it?)
If you want a daily drive that is fun to drive, maneuver in traffic, load up with aftermarket modifications, and easy to park, stay with a MINI. And get a smile every time you drive it.
here it is:

SD Sleeper weights 1150 kgs 310hp, includes clutch flywheel pistons air intake, full suspension and of course the single exhaust. The open exhaust throttle surplus 17 hp on dyno

chasing GP`s

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 06-25-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
MINI makes the JCW tune available for installation on the Cooper S, admittedly for a price and a bit less Hp. I wonder if there is a chance that MINI will make the GP 3 tune available to us JCW owners? Probably slim to none. But it is fun to think about. Even if it was slightly de-turned from the GP it might be worth it. I know that there are turns like Manic and Dinan, but I have wondered how well de-bugged these are. It seems that that there is something to be said for being able to go to the dealer and have them fix things if something goes wrong.

Just dreaming a bit...

Old 06-26-2019, 07:45 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
MINI makes the JCW tune available for installation on the Cooper S, admittedly for a price and a bit less Hp. I wonder if there is a chance that MINI will make the GP 3 tune available to us JCW owners? Probably slim to none. But it is fun to think about. Even if it was slightly de-turned from the GP it might be worth it. I know that there are turns like Manic and Dinan, but I have wondered how well de-bugged these are. It seems that that there is something to be said for being able to go to the dealer and have them fix things if something goes wrong.

Just dreaming a bit...
It would be nice, but not a snowballs chance in He__ of it.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Unfortunately, I believe you are right....

Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Got an email from the dealer I ordered a GP from (still not sure if I can afford it but this is what he wrote)

"Hi Colin,

I hope your summer is going well. I went to a special meeting in Chicago and got some info on the GP. They are only going to bring 400 – 450 to the US market, so that’s extremely limited production. They will start building them in April of next year so hopefully yours will be here around June. No figures on price yet, but we should know more in the months ahead.

Thanks again and I’ll let you know once I know more."

Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Thanks for the information. The wait for the new toy is excruciatingly lengthy!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Yes for sure! But i got a feeling that my 21 year old self (22 then) will not be able to swing it. We'll see how long I can save.

Dont think its something id loose money on!

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have you by 49 years! I hope that I will be able to handle it when it finally does arrive! I sent this information to my sales guy. I am #2 on their list, I had the #1 slot at my old dealership, but it closed last month and that sort of left me out in the cold. But, Cincinnati Mini seemed pretty sure that they will receive at least 2 of the GPs, but it sure won't help bargaining on the price!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Im probably biting off more than I can chew but well see.. I ordered mine back in April from a Dealership in Minneapolis and I was #1 on there list and said the same thing, might get one or two.
I just hope they do not dealer markup to the extreme as its probably not going to be a deal as is!!

Old 06-29-2019, 05:15 PM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Here's an underbody shot someone got at the ring event.

I spy a new rear brace that looks to be easily replicated.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin Schlagel
Im probably biting off more than I can chew but well see.. I ordered mine back in April from a Dealership in Minneapolis and I was #1 on there list and said the same thing, might get one or two.
I just hope they do not dealer markup to the extreme as its probably not going to be a deal as is!!
If you" ordered" it there is no chance of ADM. Meaning you placed a deposit and have an agreement to purchase at worst its MSRP. I am number 1 as I have said and my deal is 1000 off MSRP and no dealer add-on's. While still a long way off I am growing concerned that the GP is looking a lot less than I was hoping for. Nothing ever really looks like the concept but the side foils or whatever they want to call them almost look ridiculous compared to the huge rear wing.

I do like the digital gauge cluster but that is going to be on all Mini's.

My current 2019 JCW looks better so far than the GP as it stands. I will reserve judgement till it debuts in it's selling livery and colors etc. I am hoping that they don't skimp too much more and offer some great wheels and color options.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Do you think I should ask for a similar deal before pricing is announces to them? becuase I would hate to have dealer markup sense its gonna be more rare. But i sadly have to agree that its turning to not be a "crazy MINI" but maybe it wont be SUPER expensive so I can get one. but time will tell.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin Schlagel
Do you think I should ask for a similar deal before pricing is announces to them? becuase I would hate to have dealer markup sense its gonna be more rare. But i sadly have to agree that its turning to not be a "crazy MINI" but maybe it wont be SUPER expensive so I can get one. but time will tell.
Colin- It depends on what you have done, have you actually placed a deposit? if so what did they give you in return? If its just a verbal agreement then yes, you should have them write a contract, give them a nominal ( in my state fully refundable) deposit of 500-1k that states you will get a GP at this agreed upon price of MSRP or less.

I would not believe ANY sales rep about numbers, meetings or details...they are always wrong. I think if you want a GP they will be gotten with little to no mark-up. Mini sales in general are tanking outside of the bigger ones, the electric one will probably gather more interest as long as there are rebates. As I said, I am reserving judgement until the debut the car, the specs and options. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:38 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
This is an excruciatingly bizarre situation with more speculation than is necessary. It's almost as if it was designed for mini by Tim Burton or some other bizarre dramatist. I want one and only have a handshake and a statement that I am #2 on the list. If for some reason I don't have the opportunity to purchase one at no more than sticker I am driving my last mini already!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
I have a small money deposit down and supposedly first on the list for a bigger dealer in the Midwest. Im just going to leave it and when my sales guy has more info to share other then release day then i will make sure im getting some deal.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=Forcerecontrojan;4479592] If its just a verbal agreement then yes, you should have them write a contract, give them a nominal ( in my state fully refundable) deposit of 500-1k that states you will get a GP at this agreed upon price of MSRP or less.

I may write something up and see what they say. The guy was pretty nice so thanks for the input.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by charrigan
Here's an underbody shot someone got at the ring event.

I spy a new rear brace that looks to be easily replicated.
Those bars at the bottom right of the picture that run fore and aft on the car? Seems like an odd way to brace the car.

And no real diffuser (that actually works) like the GP 2 had...
It seems that the car is made up of styling cues more so than function.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:19 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Those bars at the bottom right of the picture that run fore and aft on the car? Seems like an odd way to brace the car.

And no real diffuser (that actually works) like the GP 2 had...
It seems that the car is made up of styling cues more so than function.

I had a larger but similar brace on my mk6 gli and mk6 gti. Basically tied all the cross braces in the tunnel together and made a huge difference in chassis stiffness. BMW must have seen a significant enough improvement to tie both together.

A diffuser needs a 10 to 15 degree angle to be a significant aero improvement. With the giant muffler there it's impossible to do that. I wouldn't call the GP3 form over function considering it is 32 seconds faster around the ring vs a f56 jcw with jcw pro suspension (sport auto ring test). That's a massive improvement for using the same chassis.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by charrigan
I had a larger but similar brace on my mk6 gli and mk6 gti. Basically tied all the cross braces in the tunnel together and made a huge difference in chassis stiffness. BMW must have seen a significant enough improvement to tie both together.
Hmmmm.... interesting!
I had not seen that kind of brace.

A diffuser needs a 10 to 15 degree angle to be a significant aero improvement. With the giant muffler there it's impossible to do that. I wouldn't call the GP3 form over function considering it is 32 seconds faster around the ring vs a f56 jcw with jcw pro suspension (sport auto ring test). That's a massive improvement for using the same chassis.
Eliminate the muffler?

Good point about “function”. But I wonder how much of that 32 sec is just due to having 80 Hp more in the GP3?

Old 07-01-2019, 01:07 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Hmmmm.... interesting!
I had not seen that kind of brace.

Eliminate the muffler?

Good point about “function”. But I wonder how much of that 32 sec is just due to having 80 Hp more in the GP3?
MINI calls the GP3 "Extrem Sportler" , the responsible Mrs. Augsburg JCW Brand Manager annouced further laptimes to come ;-)

Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

UK debut this weekend:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2019/07/...-this-weekend/

Will they take the camo wrap off?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Dont know how many of you have seen this video yet, but some more details on the final car. seems like this track camo car is what we are going to be getting.

ABOUT TO BLOW SOME PEOPLES THOUGHTS. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

about 3/4 through the video basically confirms at least for now we will be getting an auto transmission. Fine with me as ive only had manuals and want to switch it up but i can understand that this is a sports car basically, should maybe be manual. but we will see.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The automatic is faster on the track...
But, IMHO, not as much fun to drive on a daily basis.

And I see that the driver has that PIA arm rest folded back and out of the way. Even in an automatic car it appears to be a PIA. It would be nice if they redesigned it for the GP. Probably no hope of that. I’m about ready to take a sawsall to mine.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
I have not had a new mini, only driven them a few times. but I did like the interior in general but your right on that arm rest.

If they announce the price is its something ridiculous, i will pass. I was hoping for something a little closer to the concept. Just want something that sticks out more but turning out to be a regular JCW with a clubman engine and some different plastic flares (which I bet can be bought and installed on current gen minis.)

But if its a decent price id like to have one for a while but if not, Focus RS or something for me.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
When I saw the interior in that video I was hoping to see that the seats were something unique to the GP, but they appear to be a version of these:
https://s3.paultan.org/image/2014/12...ini-jcw-20.jpg

However, I am told that these are the optional Dinamica/Leather JCW seats. It's part of the $2000 Signature Upholstery Package. Not saying that are not nice and it would make sense to use a seat that is already certified for the US market, hopefully they do a nice job with a GP unique upholstery.

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article