JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Making my Mini JCW a track car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:54 PM
chrisoakes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making my Mini JCW a track car.

im planning on getting my car ready during this winter for the spring so I can take it to the track. My car is just asking for it. It will be my daily driver and track car. What are your opinions on this? Full roll cage or just a roll bar?

heres the link to the youtube vid i made with my car.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisoakes
im planning on getting my car ready during this winter for the spring so I can take it to the track. My car is just asking for it. It will be my daily driver and track car. What are your opinions on this? Full roll cage or just a roll bar?
Neither, it is a hardtop and it has rollover protection from the factory. Putting an unnecessary* cage in the car will add a bunch of weight for little benefit. If you want to stiffen the chassis, buy braces. A cage will also make the car less usable for day-to-day use and potentially less safe. Roll bars are not crash friendly without the supplementary safety gear. You do not want to bash your head off a cage in a crash on the street. Even the correct protective foam is not that forgiving, it's intended to protect your head in a helmet.

*Unless you are transforming this car into a dedicated, track only vehicle. Even then, I don't think I'd cage a Mini for HPDE driving.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:11 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
*rear seat delete and a harness bar with 4 point belts will do nicely and save you some weight in the process. Also - dont crash.. you wont need a cage .. just saying :p

If your serious about track, I would start to think seriously about which "daily" comforts you need in the vehicle.. and lose the ones you dont. Extra weight is the first enemy.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM
chrisoakes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes i am going with rear seat delete and putting the strut bar in so i can put 4 point belts in. I will have to use the regular seats for a while.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would do a roll bar rather than a cage for a street car. A cage in a street car can be dangerous unless you are going to wear a race harness daily.

you can also do some schroth harnesses as the plug right in to the existing seat belt points.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/schrot...g-harness.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
A cage in a street car can be dangerous unless you are going to wear a race harness daily.

you can also do some schroth harnesses as the plug right in to the existing seat belt points.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/schrot...g-harness.html
There's a good solution, I would not want to run a harness on the street everyday. Something about basal skull fractures just doesn't seem appealing.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:54 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
only reason to do full cage is w2w racing, roll bar if you street at all so you dont bust your head open

4 point are unsafe you need 5, if you like your ********* you need 6 point

Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
also I would never ever do a harness bar, you are strapped to the bar but the seat will still collapse and you have no rollover protection. Lots of rollbars out there that are easy to install, my favorite is the hard dog it mounts without getting in the way of storage and it's a one piece bar all welded

The following users liked this post:
cornjuice (11-29-2017)