JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

What makes it a "True JCW''?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:21 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been looking for a used JCW and am a bit confused. I've heard that there's a JCW from the factory and then there's a JCW created at the dealership. What makes it a factory JCW and what's the difference from the dealer created JCW. What are the telltale signs and differences and what should I be looking out for? Thanks for any help here.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All factory JCWs have late 05 (october?) build date and besides the the front and rear JCW badges there is also a JCW badge on engine that has a serial number of the kit. Also factory JCW has LSD and the exhaust is one piece from cat back instead of a clamp on intermediate pipe and back box two piece.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
have a dealer run the VIN. if it was done at the factory, it should be in the options list.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:37 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
All factory JCWs have late 05 (october?) build date and besides the the front and rear JCW badges there is also a JCW badge on engine that has a serial number of the kit. Also factory JCW has LSD and the exhaust is one piece from cat back instead of a clamp on intermediate pipe and back box two piece.
My '06 JCW also has the JCW big brake kit along with the LSD and engine items. Not sure if that is specific to it being a factory JCW or an '06 JCW.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 PM
spinned
4th Gear
I have a factory 2009 JCW. There is no emblem or badge on the engine, but the door sills say JCW and there is an emblem on the front grill and on the boot. The VIN for the car will also identify it as a factory JCW car. 2009 JCW cars will also have the large red brembo brake calipers.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
To clarify, prior to MINI take over of JCW ('05), JCW parts were dealership installed in the US. After the merge, you could build a MINI with JCW and it would be installed at the factory then the car delivered to the dealership. '05+ cars were availiable with optional factory installed LSD and depending on the degree of JCW optioned (only the tuning kits?), LSD was included. All years of JCW tuning kits include the badging front/rear/engine and have a serial number shown on the engine badge and paperwork.

Following the VIN thread here on NAM, I haven't seen a VIN yet to indicate JCW. I haven't clicked each and every pdf but of the several known JCW cars I clicked, there was no reference in the build sheet. If someone has seen it, please forward me the link as I've been curious to its labeling.

Whether or not JCW can be determined "factory installed" prior to '05 I think is a bit ridiculous considering it wasn't even an option offered. So to think a dealership installed JCW kit is lesser than factory installed JCW kit is a bit retentive considering JCW has been available in some form since '02 and only as a "factory" option in '05 on.

If a MINI is labeled as JCW, request proof of authenticity. The kits came with paperwork and tell-tale engine badge. Anything else with JCW logos could be bought over the counter (with the exception of the exterior badges). I'll let the purists determine what level of JCW makes a MINI JCW.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM
putttn
5th Gear
The one I'm looking at is an 03.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Here is a quick summary for 1st-generation (2002-2006) hardtop MINIs, not including convertible:

2002-2005 Cooper S - JCW tuning kits, JCW air intakes, and JCW brakes --> available as separate accessories installed by dealer ONLY
2006 Cooper S - JCW package was a $6,300 factory option

The 2006 JCW package HAD to be ordered with one of 2 other packages: Checkmate (which my car has) or Sport both of which include 17" wheels to clear the larger brakes. The Checkmate Package included everything from Sport Package plus more stuff.

The 2006 JCW package included 208hp engine tuning kit, JCW exhaust, JCW air intake, JCW engine software, JCW intercooler cover (this is SILVER w/JCW logo versus standard Cooper S that has BLACK cover with S logo), JCW front brakes with red calipers (rears are NOT red) and JCW logo, more aggressive brake pads front and rear, 17" wheels, limited slip diff (LSD), JCW badging front and rear, and JCW certificate of authenticity.

All JCWs give you a certificate of authenticity --> see pic below. See my car for sale thread pics:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ct/5971/cat/12

Last edited by minicoopermike; 03-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
The 2006 JCW also includes:
- Slightly modified head (ported exhaust)
- 11.45% reduction SC pulley
- a SC with special coating, I think teflon on the blades maybe
- 4 prong and colder spark plugs
I think that's it.

Last edited by mini_racer; 07-12-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicoopermike
Here is a quick summary for 1st-generation (2002-2006) hardtop MINIs, not including convertible:

2002-2005 Cooper S - JCW tuning kits, JCW air intakes, and JCW brakes --> available as separate accessories installed by dealer ONLY
2006 Cooper S - JCW package was a $6,300 factory option
Also
2001-2003 Cooper (Non-S) - JCW Tuning Kit; Filter, ECU Tune, Head, Exhaust, Badging
2004-2006 Cooper (Non-S) - JCW Sound kit; Exhaust, Filter, Badging.

JCW actually debuted on the NON-S prior to S release. Of course the US didn't get a MINI until 2002.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
are you sure the factory JCW pkg wasn't available on 2005s?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
kazlot
4th Gear

Just a couple of additions.

All JCW Stage 1 Tuning Kits were dealer installed.

The JCW Stage 2 Tuning Kits were factory installed and it included the sport brakes and the LSD.

Stage 2 got an air box, with the JCW logo, with a flap that opens at 4500 rpm for better breathing
as well as larger injectors and a re-program of the ECU.

It was introduced for dealer installs, to upgrade Stage 1 Tuning Kits, in October 2004 and included in the factory JCW Package
available from November 2005 onward.

The JCW package (option 3AL) required the sport package (option ZSP) to be ordered as well.

The JCW suspension (sold as an accessory) was a VDC (port of entry) pre-delivery install or a post-delivery dealer install.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by kazlot; 07-12-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kazlot
Just a couple of additions.

All JCW Stage 1 Tuning Kits were dealer installed.

The JCW Stage 2 Tuning Kits were factory installed and it included the sport brakes and the LSD.

Stage 2 got an air box, with the JCW logo, with a flap that opens at 4500 rpm for better breathing

It was introduced for dealer installs, to upgrade Stage 1 Tuning Kits, in October 2004 and included in the factory JCW Package

The JCW package (option 3AL) required the sport package (option ZSP) to be ordered as well.

The JCW suspension (sold as an accessory) was a VDC (port of entry) pre-delivery install or a post-delivery dealer install.

Hope this helps...
Yes, this is the easiest guide to see differences.
adendum: And All those are "True JCW" including JCW engine badged, dealer installed cars.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 07-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by kazlot

Slight semantic correction... the "JCW Stage 2" tuning kits, as you called them (I've always heard the two versions called JCW-200 and JCW-210), were also made available as an "install from scratch" dealer install.

The way you worded it above, it sounds like the Stage 2 was only factory install or as an upgrade for those who already had Stage 1.

The JCW-210 kit was available either way. Factory or dealer... starting in the 2006 model year. Prior to the 2006 model year, it was dealer-install only.

As for the "True JCW", my opinion is that any MINI that has a JCW Tuning Kit properly installed (i.e. either at factory or by the dealer) is a "True JCW". The rest of the JCW accessories and options are great... but the Tuning Kit is the "basis" for a MINI being a JCW car.

Now, you could argue the relative merits of what a "Full JCW" is. My take on that? JCW Tuning Kit, JCW Brakes & JCW Suspension. Possibly the JCW wheels too, but I think that might be overkill for "Full JCW" status.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
putttn
5th Gear
After doing research on the 03 JCW I'm looking at I found that the Parts on the install amounted to $4,680 and labor was $1,104 and it was installed with 12 miles on the odo in Aug 03 and took a week to close out the work order.
It was completed by a Mini dealership. From what I've heard here, it sounds like it must have been a fairly inclusive JCW package. What all it included, I don't know but does anybody here?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 PM
kazlot
4th Gear

Originally Posted by putttn
After doing research on the 03 JCW I'm looking at I found that the Parts on the install amounted to $4,680 and labor was $1,104 and it was installed with 12 miles on the odo in Aug 03 and took a week to close out the work order.
It was completed by a Mini dealership. From what I've heard here, it sounds like it must have been a fairly inclusive JCW package. What all it included, I don't know but does anybody here?

In 2003 the JCW Tuning Kit comprised of:

A certificate of authenticity with the Tuning Kit number signed by Mike Cooper.

A JCW logo and Tuning Kit number on the valve cover.

A supercharger with Teflon coated vanes with a 11.45% reduction pulley.

A head that had been slightly modified, ported and polished, retaining the stock valves.

A modified ECU including a higher red-line of 7250 rpms.

A stainless steel cat-back exhaust system with JCW tips.

JCW badges on the boot and in the grill.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
putttn, that 03 MINI would be an excellent candidate for the JCW-200 to JCW-210 upgrade kit. It bridges the gap between the earlier JCW kits and the "updated" one released later, which added new injectors, a new CAI, and updated software to the original 200hp JCW Tuning Kit.

Here's the RealOEM page on the update kit:

RealOEM.com - BMW R53 Cooper S John Cooper Works Upgradekit

Although the price on that page is very high ($935), I imagine you could find it at some sources for $600-$650.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:24 PM
ipws
Neutral
I'm checking out a 2005 MCS in which I found the JCW tuning kit serial #, the JCW air intake, all the emblems at the right places, red JCW brake calipers, chrome JCW exhaust tips. But it doesn't have the documentation.

Would JCW issue a replacement certificate?
How can I tell if it has LSD?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Try and find out who the delivering dealer was and ask them if they did the JCW. Usually they can look up the WO's and find out when it was done and to what extent.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 PM
nickheart
1st Gear
I thought the intercooler cover was only installed when you got the package ... Was I duped?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Another way to check is the part number engraved on the front left of the head contains an extra character. On my R50, the part number is not too difficult to see with a light and a mirror, the MCS may be more complicated. I'm not at home but I'll repost what exactly that character is. I want to say "JC" or "W", but I'll check when I get home.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
I had a 2006 R50, dealer installed JCW sound kit, JCW brakes, and JCW suspension, came with certificate, and badging.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
There was also the R50 JCW kit....

(edit: nevermind, jumped the gun and I didn't see the two posts above)

Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Works Head Identification

On the front left (viewing head from in front) there are 3 numbers:
  • On top is an engraved "RA#####" - designates a Works Head. I'm guessing it can likely be associated with the JCW number (not the kit part number but the JCW kit number). The RA# does not appear in the paperwork.
  • In the Middle is a casting number that was molded with the head.
  • Bottom is another engraving with part number that should match a Works kit part number (like on realOEM).

Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
ufnavy06
1st Gear
I'll jump in here even thought this is only my second post. The reason I do this is because I just picked up a 2006 JCW about 2 months ago. Mine has the brakes, S/C pulley, air box, ECU tune, exhaust, LSD, badges and silver intercooler. That much I'm sure of. However, didn't the car come with the suspension package as well?

Mine I know came from the factory as it was on the original invoice. Sadly, as I bought it used, I do not have the original window sticker. I do have a print out of the original invoice. It's in my glovebox which is at the dealer (getting some kinks looked at before factory warranty goes away). So I think I might be able to provide some insight into some of the questions which came up in this post when I get my JCW back (take the Cooper cabrio away and give me back my JCW! ). I know the invoice stated my JCW package cost $6,300 when new.

I read in a previous post I should have a certificate of authenticity which I did not receive when I purchased the car. Is there a website or place I can go to see if I can get a replacement? I'd certainly like to have that for resale purposes!

Quick Reply: What makes it a "True JCW''?