JCW Advise - '05 MCS to '17 JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advise - '05 MCS to '17 JCW?

Love my R52 convertible, MT, with only 33k miles. I now am researching the gen 3 JCW convertible. I have not driven one yet, but have found test drives are not as revealing as the advise of fellow forum members. Here are my concerns:
1. Car has grown over 10" in length. Since I love the small go-cart feel of my R52, does anyone who has experience with both notice the downside in the feeling brought about by the size difference?
2. I was waiting for the 2017, as I was drawn by the 20 hp bump over the gen 2. However, reading road test reports, I have not found any sub 6 second times for the convertible. In fact, the acceleration times seems similar to to those reported for my stock 12 year old S. Has this size increase caused a weight difference to account for the lackluster difference between mine, and one with 30% more power and increased torque?
3. Do the new convertibles rattle as much as mine? (although for some unknown reason, I now find these rattles as a rather endearing quality of the Mini)
4. Tried doing a recent build online with the red trim sport seats, but they don't seem to offer these as an option now. Are they no longer available?
5. If I order the $500 dynamic ride option, will I be able to avoid a teeth chattering ride (or at leasst one no more severe) than in my R52?
6. Any idea of what discount I should look for with a $42k build?

FYI - I always keep my cars in a stock configuration, so I would not consider any mods to current Mini, if that was the direction some might suggest.

Fellow Forumers, I really appreciate any input and advise you might offer, to any or all of the above.

Thnsk-you,
Corey

Last edited by Coreyco; 04-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I think you'll love the '17 JCW. Previously had an '06 Cooper and have an '09 Cooper S Clubman so I understand the differences. I have a '17 JCW on order and have driven versions with the various suspension options.

1. It is bigger, but still handles really well. I don't think you'll be disappointed ... it's still a MINI
2. It's pretty quick ... it's biggest limitation is traction. Once moving, it's very fast ... you will not be disappointed.
3. No idea, but I suspect they've fixed a lot of that
4. Nope ... not there. I was disappointed about that as well. Lounge leather is still pretty cool though.
5. Absolutely ... it is awesome. I drove different version back-to-back and I love it. That said, the current cars are not nearly as harsh as the earlier versions. I ordered DDC and highly recommend it.
6. Depends on the current offer. I got $2K off (USAA and dealer discount).

Good luck and hope you get what you want.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rtowell
I think you'll love the '17 JCW. Previously had an '06 Cooper and have an '09 Cooper S Clubman so I understand the differences. I have a '17 JCW on order and have driven versions with the various suspension options.

1. It is bigger, but still handles really well. I don't think you'll be disappointed ... it's still a MINI
2. It's pretty quick ... it's biggest limitation is traction. Once moving, it's very fast ... you will not be disappointed.
3. No idea, but I suspect they've fixed a lot of that
4. Nope ... not there. I was disappointed about that as well. Lounge leather is still pretty cool though.
5. Absolutely ... it is awesome. I drove different version back-to-back and I love it. That said, the current cars are not nearly as harsh as the earlier versions. I ordered DDC and highly recommend it.
6. Depends on the current offer. I got $2K off (USAA and dealer discount).

Good luck and hope you get what you want.
Hello Rtowell,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Also disappointed the red trim seats were not offered. Would the lounge leather option offer the same bolstering and support?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
To answer your questions:

1. Car has grown over 10" in length. Since I love the small go-cart feel of my R52, does anyone who has experience with both notice the downside in the feeling brought about by the size difference?
The size growth isn't that apparent. The 8" (read: not 10") increase in length is largely in the nose and tail, as crash test standards have required bigger bumpers and crumple zones. Wheelbase has only grown by 1".

2. I was waiting for the 2017, as I was drawn by the 20 hp bump over the gen 2. However, reading road test reports, I have not found any sub 6 second times for the convertible. In fact, the acceleration times seems similar to to those reported for my stock 12 year old S. Has this size increase caused a weight difference to account for the lackluster difference between mine, and one with 30% more power and increased torque?
The JCW is no slouch. If you're after a bit more power, add a Dinan tuner box.

3. Do the new convertibles rattle as much as mine? (although for some unknown reason, I now find these rattles as a rather endearing quality of the Mini)
The new UKL platform that underpins every new MINI model feels much more solid and substantial, especially in the convertible model. Cowl shake, rattles, and chassis creaks/groans are essentially eliminated.

That being said, convertible models are inherently more flexible than the hardtop models. Additional bracing has been used, but it's a balance of weight and chassis stiffness.

4. Tried doing a recent build online with the red trim sport seats, but they don't seem to offer these as an option now. Are they no longer available?
You need to choose the JCW Sport Seats. It's the only way to get the red dinamica seating.

5. If I order the $500 dynamic ride option, will I be able to avoid a teeth chattering ride (or at leasst one no more severe) than in my R52?
It definitely helps. That being said, the F5x cars are much more compliant over bumps.

6. Any idea of what discount I should look for with a $42k build?
If you're USAA or AARP - that's $1000 right there on a purchase ($500 on a lease).

Aside from that, it's going to depend entirely upon your dealer when it comes to discounting a special order.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Would the lounge leather option offer the same bolstering and support?
Depends on your preference. The lounge leather requires sports seats, which deletes the JCW-specific seats. The JCW seats are more aggressively bolstered than the sports seats.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 AM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rtowell
Depends on your preference. The lounge leather requires sports seats, which deletes the JCW-specific seats. The JCW seats are more aggressively bolstered than the sports seats.
Thanks for that clarification Rtowell.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 AM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
To answer your questions:

The size growth isn't that apparent. The 8" (read: not 10") increase in length is largely in the nose and tail, as crash test standards have required bigger bumpers and crumple zones. Wheelbase has only grown by 1".

The JCW is no slouch. If you're after a bit more power, add a Dinan tuner box.

The new UKL platform that underpins every new MINI model feels much more solid and substantial, especially in the convertible model. Cowl shake, rattles, and chassis creaks/groans are essentially eliminated.

That being said, convertible models are inherently more flexible than the hardtop models. Additional bracing has been used, but it's a balance of weight and chassis stiffness.

You need to choose the JCW Sport Seats. It's the only way to get the red dinamica seating.

It definitely helps. That being said, the F5x cars are much more compliant over bumps.

If you're USAA or AARP - that's $1000 right there on a purchase ($500 on a lease).

Aside from that, it's going to depend entirely upon your dealer when it comes to discounting a special order.
I really appreciate your taking the time to reply, and for the thouroughness of your responses, Zillon.
I hope the red dinamica seating is still available, as I no longer see it on the Mini build site.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My MA told me the G3 JustaCooper (turbocharged) is about as fast as the R53 MCS was. I think you'd find the F56 JCW a whole different car than your current model. My R58 JCW is way more fun than my 2007 MCS.