JCW The JCW Gets My Vote

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:47 PM
axoo007
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The JCW Gets My Vote

Some of you may have read here and there that I have been comparing the JCW against the Golf GTI, the Golf R and the M235i. After careful consideration, I've decided to opt for the JCW.

When it comes to price and performance the VWs are doing a better job in my opinion. I also think the exterior design is more refined that the current F56 (especially those front air ducts). But when it comes to the quality of the interior the MINI is definitely better. It feels way more robust and solid. I also like the smaller footprint of the car, especially when you throw it in corners.

Another thing on the plus side for the MINI is the ordering process and the maintenance program. I can order the car very easily, to my configuration, and be certain of the timeline to arrival at my dealer. Also for someone as busy as I am, I don't have time to mess around with the service department. The luxury of bringing your car in for service or to fix an issue without worrying about the cost for three years is unparalleled. Also getting a proper loaner is always plus.

Finally, there are some intangible that are difficult to explain compare the VW. The MINI Community is one of the best groups of enthusiasts across many car brands. Being part of that Community makes you and your car feel special in some ways. Again, it's hard to explain but I'm sure you understand

That's all. My lease is up at the end of the year and I'll probably place an order in the fall. I'm going for a Rebel Green (or Electric Blue because I get the feeling the Green is quite dark) with White Roof and fully loaded. This sticker price is around $39K.

Looking forward to Motor On again!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:54 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
great post man!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 PM
axoo007
2nd Gear
Thanks, bro!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool. MINI definitely nails the "experience" aspect of buying and owning, especially at its price point.

What was the last MINI you had?

Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 PM
axoo007
2nd Gear
The last MINI I had was a R56 S. I currently drive a Bimmer so I've gotten used to a certain level of performance/luxury from a product and service standpoint.

I know the F56 can't quite match the performance aspect, but it's close enough. Same for quality, it is very getting close. As far as luxury is concerned, BMW and MINI are on par.

I wish I could say the same of VW. Ordering is a mess. Service only lasts a year. And the car doesn't seem as robust.

Here's how I made my decision:

Pros MINI:
Agility, community, order process, service level, interior design, interior quality, exhaust sound, warranty
Cons MINI:
Exterior design, bhp, front wheel drive

Pros Golf R:
Exterior design, bhp, all wheel drive, exclusivity, never owned a VW

Cons Golf R:
Interior design, interior quality, service level, order process

All of this is highly subjective of course

Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,968 Likes on 1,768 Posts
" The MINI Community is one of the best groups of enthusiasts across many car brands. Being part of that Community makes you and your car feel special in some ways. Again, it's hard to explain but I'm sure you understand "

Agree and the local Club events and national trips like MTTS are a blast .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2015, 06:55 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by axoo007
Some of you may have read here and there that I have been comparing the JCW against the Golf GTI, the Golf R and the M235i. After careful consideration, I've decided to opt for the JCW.

When it comes to price and performance the VWs are doing a better job in my opinion. I also think the exterior design is more refined that the current F56 (especially those front air ducts). But when it comes to the quality of the interior the MINI is definitely better. It feels way more robust and solid. I also like the smaller footprint of the car, especially when you throw it in corners.

Another thing on the plus side for the MINI is the ordering process and the maintenance program. I can order the car very easily, to my configuration, and be certain of the timeline to arrival at my dealer. Also for someone as busy as I am, I don't have time to mess around with the service department. The luxury of bringing your car in for service or to fix an issue without worrying about the cost for three years is unparalleled. Also getting a proper loaner is always plus.

Finally, there are some intangible that are difficult to explain compare the VW. The MINI Community is one of the best groups of enthusiasts across many car brands. Being part of that Community makes you and your car feel special in some ways. Again, it's hard to explain but I'm sure you understand

That's all. My lease is up at the end of the year and I'll probably place an order in the fall. I'm going for a Rebel Green (or Electric Blue because I get the feeling the Green is quite dark) with White Roof and fully loaded. This sticker price is around $39K.

Indeed, the Mini is an icon and the reason it sells. The Golf R is a far better overall car about design and engineering. There is no doubt about it and BMW knows how to keep the Mini on the market with few refinements with no major investments to bring something new. The same architecture sells with no ending in sight.

I just hope the front end will be remodeled soon because with the extended hood and bumper, It looks really out of balance and in my opinion very ugly. Again, it is my own opinion.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:33 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by axoo007

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, as my lease expires after the first of the year. I don't think much of the VAG brands, which includes VW…GTI and R. To me, they are just boring, same for the interior. While I am not a lover of what Mini did with the center stack, use a NAV system, it's much better than VW's.

As for the BMW 2 series, I really like the 228i with the M-Sport package, but the way that I configure a MINI JCW it's in the $37K range, actually under that. And the BMW 228 i is over $43K, then when I do some exhaust and tune work, I'm over $45K. Sure, BMW's lease well, but still, I like the Mini and it's benefits. This does include the community here, even though they do seem awfully negative at times. I can live with the grille and catfish face, and the taillights aren't a game changer either. Actually, both are growing on me.

Then, I test drove the current JCW. Even though I must have a manual this time, it did impress me, the sound, fantastic, the performance is there, and as I can't leave anything alone, a tune will really bring out this little beast. The size is just about perfect, not too big, and now it's not too small. My 2011 JCW I thought needed a little size, and what Mini has done, well, they hit it pretty good. That's my addition to this thread and now I just need to wait for the New Years deals. I'm leaning towards the Rally Green too, but I'm going to wrap the roof in carbon fibre, and play with the exterior with that. Also, I need the Pro rear diffuser too. Did I say that I can't leave anything alone?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:10 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Indeed, the Mini is an icon and the reason it sells. The Golf R is a far better overall car about design and engineering. There is no doubt about it and BMW knows how to keep the Mini on the market with few refinements with no major investments to bring something new. The same architecture sells with no ending in sight.

I just hope the front end will be remodeled soon because with the extended hood and bumper, It looks really out of balance and in my opinion very ugly. Again, it is my own opinion.
It won't get shorter due to European pedestrian saftey regs unless the made a US only version which due to low sakes volumes I never see happening. My F56 is much faster than a GTI but limited due to the front drive. Here's hoping they offer a all wheel drive chasis soon.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:55 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdean
It won't get shorter due to European pedestrian saftey regs unless the made a US only version which due to low sakes volumes I never see happening. My F56 is much faster than a GTI but limited due to the front drive. Here's hoping they offer a all wheel drive chasis soon.
With all respect, my comment was about design and Mini missed with the front end remodel. The two story grille with the red strip in the middle should have been just one opening similar to Audi. The front bumper is too heavy looking with all these obvious ports for cooling. The previous JCW as I own has some recess in the lower grille and it looks far better than the protruding lips over the front bumper on the new JCW. It is one of the reason I said it is ugly.

As for overall design and performance and interior overall appeal and quality, the JCW is no match to the Golf R. I have a friend who own one and I can say it is far better.

Again, I believe the Mini is a culture icon we have to own once in a lifetime.

When will we have a new Coupe coming in?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With all respect, my comment was about design and Mini missed with the front end remodel. The two story grille with the red strip in the middle should have been just one opening similar to Audi. The front bumper is too heavy looking with all these obvious ports for cooling. The previous JCW as I own has some recess in the lower grille and it looks far better than the protruding lips over the front bumper on the new JCW. It is one of the reason I said it is ugly.

As for overall design and performance and interior overall appeal and quality, the JCW is no match to the Golf R. I have a friend who own one and I can say it is far better.

Only appeal for me with the Golf R is the performance. Overall quality,styling,interior goes to Mini imo. Golf is a generic looking econobox hatch,interior is cheap in looks and quality.
Coupe will not be back. Sales were just too poor.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Coupe is probably dead for good. Only 2 seats. Rear view not good. The 4 door F56 was close to being Mini's sales leader in June and the Countryman probably outsold the 3 door hatch lately too. Coupe's frame too stiff for the executive types too. It's more of a track car than a daily driver. Mini only sold 1000 Coupes in the US in 2014. Its strongest feature is its looks.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 PM
jComp4
1st Gear
.... because with the extended hood and bumper, It looks really out of balance and in my opinion very ugly. Again, it is my own opinion.
I agree! Main reason I went with the f55 is the extended rear end adds back the size proportions