JCW F56 JCW 6MT: order placed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
A few quick notes on the drivability:

*The ride quality is [gasp] comfortable and the cabin quite quiet on the Interstate. This is a Gran Touring car first and foremost.

*The engine sounds average; the exhaust tone is growly and fun if you roll the windows down, but with the windows up you can't really hear the exhaust. Again, GT, not hot hatch. This seems quieter and more civilized than the auto JCW I drove at Miles Ahead, so perhaps the exhaust itself needs break-in time. Also keep in mind I'm coming from a week with a fully modded R53, and also my fantastic sounding Abarth, so the bar is really high.

*The clutch pedal engagement is basically on the floor, and it's a longer-than-average pedal throw length too. The more clutches you drive the more you realize that most engagement points are either in the middle or up top, but this is very much right at the floor. Obviously with only 7 miles on the odometer, the clutch and brake feel will change as those wear surfaces break-in. The engagement zone itself is fairly narrow but reasonably easy to read. Pedal effort is light and casual. No leg presses needed.

*The shifter feel is excellent. Crisp and short throws, no confusion on gate selection. Definitely the best MINI shifter to date.

*Steering feel is average. Strong enough on-center, no real kick-back from the tires, but also no real chattiness either. You're not getting telepathy through the wheel of what the contact patches are doing. Again, the car feels like grand touring. I have no idea what the factory alignment numbers are, but for sure these Pirelli P7 LRR's aren't helping the steering feel.

It's a good thing I was looking to get into something more comfortable and quiet! I'd say job well done; it just happens to also have MINI wings on the bonnet.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:55 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice pics Ryan! So dynamic.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:21 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Thanks for sharing these helpful thoughts Mate. Sounds like asd is turned down or does not exist. Can't wait to get in mine now. That Erik be in 15 days. I'm away on a job. How they have the car running by then...

Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great news Ryan, now go out an drive it!

Edit: So, I've had more uninterrupted seat time without moving among different cars. My initial positive impressions get stronger with each mile. I'm getting accustomed to the relatively light clutch and the short first gear. Only have about 240 miles so far, so haven't really tested the acceleration, but my seat of the pants meter tells me it is definitely faster than my R53 JCW. The available torque at low revs is quite nice. The sport suspension is okay; I think I could go stiffer and still have an acceptable ride. This might be slightly different if I had 18" wheels and tires. We'll see.

Last edited by MoBoost; 08-05-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: More
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
F56 JCW 6MT: order placed

Originally Posted by Ryephile
A few quick notes on the drivability:

*The ride quality is [gasp] comfortable and the cabin quite quiet on the Interstate. This is a Gran Touring car first and foremost.

*The engine sounds average; the exhaust tone is growly and fun if you roll the windows down, but with the windows up you can't really hear the exhaust. Again, GT, not hot hatch. This seems quieter and more civilized than the auto JCW I drove at Miles Ahead, so perhaps the exhaust itself needs break-in time. Also keep in mind I'm coming from a week with a fully modded R53, and also my fantastic sounding Abarth, so the bar is really high.

*The clutch pedal engagement is basically on the floor, and it's a longer-than-average pedal throw length too. The more clutches you drive the more you realize that most engagement points are either in the middle or up top, but this is very much right at the floor. Obviously with only 7 miles on the odometer, the clutch and brake feel will change as those wear surfaces break-in. The engagement zone itself is fairly narrow but reasonably easy to read. Pedal effort is light and casual. No leg presses needed.

*The shifter feel is excellent. Crisp and short throws, no confusion on gate selection. Definitely the best MINI shifter to date.

*Steering feel is average. Strong enough on-center, no real kick-back from the tires, but also no real chattiness either. You're not getting telepathy through the wheel of what the contact patches are doing. Again, the car feels like grand touring. I have no idea what the factory alignment numbers are, but for sure these Pirelli P7 LRR's aren't helping the steering feel.

It's a good thing I was looking to get into something more comfortable and quiet! I'd say job well done; it just happens to also have MINI wings on the bonnet.
So would you say with the "GT"-ness of the car that it's not as chuck able in the tight twisties? I currently have an R58 and had an R56 which carve up my favorite back road perfectly.

I'm really interested in the new JCW, but I'm a little worried it's softer. I wonder if anyone has a new JCW with the "PRO" suspension yet.

Did you spec sport or adjustable?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I have the Sport suspension from the factory, and the JCW Pro coilovers on-order. For sure I'll post detailed information on that setup when it arrives.

After driving the car a bit more tonight, the outright handling is a cut above the 2 previous generations. It may not have the perceived "tossability", but the grip and balance is better, as evidenced by an impressively high speed on my "reference" 270 degree constant radius on-ramp.

So, the perceived softness is not a function of inability, but a testament to how far suspension tuning has come since the inception of the R53.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
F56 JCW 6MT: order placed

I have the Sport suspension from the factory, and the JCW Pro coilovers on-order. For sure I'll post detailed information on that setup when it arrives.

After driving the car a bit more tonight, the outright handling is a cut above the 2 previous generations. It may not have the perceived "tossability", but the grip and balance is better, as evidenced by an impressively high speed on my "reference" 270 degree constant radius on-ramp.

So, the perceived softness is not a function of inability, but a testament to how far suspension tuning has come since the inception of the R53.
Nice! I wish I could rent an F56 JCW 6MT for a day. I need to work on my patience to wait for the GP3. (Since I just bought the R58 so recently)

Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also keep in mind I'm coming from a week with a fully modded R53, and also my fantastic sounding Abarth, so the bar is really high.
Is your Abarth modded and how does the JCW compare to it?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by toyopet
Is your Abarth modded and how does the JCW compare to it?
Yes, I'd hazard it's "improved" and not just "modded". It has has a FMIC, true CAI, ported TB, and Bilstein coilovers.

To be honest, they're not comparable cars. The Abarth is the last visceral new car you can buy [disregarding 6-figure fantasy stuff]. The Fiesta ST comes close but is more sanitized. The Abarth is unapologetic in its flaws and quite raw. If you've driven/owned a Lotus Elise, it's not far off in terms of magnitude of sensory input. Now that said, the handling and materials quality are a clear step down from the current F56 MINI, and more comparable to the R53 MINI, though the mix of advantageous attributes between those two is different.

If the Abarth is the modern interpretation of the R53, the F56 JCW is a front-drive hatchback remix of a C6 Corvette Grand Sport but with a proper interior.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:49 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, I'd hazard it's "improved" and not just "modded". It has has a FMIC, true CAI, ported TB, and Bilstein coilovers.

To be honest, they're not comparable cars. The Abarth is the last visceral new car you can buy [disregarding 6-figure fantasy stuff]. The Fiesta ST comes close but is more sanitized. The Abarth is unapologetic in its flaws and quite raw. If you've driven/owned a Lotus Elise, it's not far off in terms of magnitude of sensory input. Now that said, the handling and materials quality are a clear step down from the current F56 MINI, and more comparable to the R53 MINI, though the mix of advantageous attributes between those two is different.
Keep the reviews coming. You may just keep me in the MINI JCW camp yet I've still got a few months before I sign on the dotted line again. Getting an unbiased review like this, especially eith the manual really helps. Yours looks so close to what I had before the r59. Mine was a 2011 Black and red factory JCW.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Keep the reviews coming. You may just keep me in the MINI JCW camp yet I've still got a few months before I sign on the dotted line again. Getting an unbiased review like this, especially eith the manual really helps. Yours looks so close to what I had before the r59. Mine was a 2011 Black and red factory JCW.
Having owned three R53's and two R56's, this JCW is on another planet in terms of "the total package". It's super competent like a Mk7 GTI but with loads character, bespoke configuration, and brilliant after-sales experience both at the dealer and with the community.

I also finished installing my JCW Pro coilovers tonight. The car is sitting 1.1" lower than stock, yet has 0.1" more free compression travel than the stock SS setup. I've only barely driven it, but so far it's a half step firmer, yet the ride comfort is still definitely "cozy".

JCW Pro coilovers installed by Ryephile, on Flickr

Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Ryan. That is a night and day improvement. Love the fact that you have more free compression. Great Job!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I'm along with those comments. Where did you order the Pro coil overs from? Did you do the install yourself, or have it done? What's all involved with this kit? When I get my next, I'd like to have this done too.

Swinging my r59 around coming home from work tonight, it tosses quite all, but not in a sophisticated way, if you know what I mean. Then again, it has the Aisin automatic, too. I'm just not an automatic fan, as I've mentioned before.
Keep up the good work.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Thanks guys

My dealership [Motor City MINI] gave me a nice deal with the coilovers since I bought them along with the car.

I did the install myself, for me it's no big deal. Plus I wanted to take the time to do all the measurements to see how both the stock and JCW coilovers were designed.

I also did a full write up in the Suspension sub-form here

Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mountie
Happy to announce that my new JCW is scheduled for production
It will replace my beloved All-Black 2013 MCS with JCW Tuning Kit Upgrade.
Have test driven two F56 JCW's, but only with Automatic Transmission.
Exhaust sounds nice, but hope it will get throatier over time. My current JCW exhaust on my MCS is hard to top in regards to sound.

Specs:
Manual Transmission
Chilli Red with Black Roof and Mirrors (for a change)
Black Sport Stripes front and back, with thin silver stripe added to the outside
Black Front and Tail Light Bezels
18-Inch Cup-Spike Two-Tone Wheels (why no all-black wheels dear Mini designers?!?)
No DDC (Chicago Pot holes, pls stay away from my new baby!)
Dinamica Leather Seats
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package (sad to raed that the h/k sound system is no better than the old one)
Wired Package and Wired Upgrade
Headlights with Cornering Lights

Feels like betraying my current Mini, but looking forward to driving my new JCW off the dealership some time in August
What Chicago dealer did you use?

Old 08-15-2015, 04:32 AM
Doc-Mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard back from the dealer and wanted to see if someone has been selling me porky-pies...

The story goes something like this: my JCW is readily built but is stuck at the factory and has been for two weeks.

Apparently after building it, its transported to a 'holding' car park, and from there it is picked by a transport company and delivered to the dealership (UK) or to a port (e.g. Southampton for the US market) or Calais (EU).

Due to delays/strikes/issues at the Channel Tunnel/the weather?! there is no space to move cars from this car park on to the dealerships/ports, so no space to move mine/others from the factory in to these holding car parks. Hence I'm still twiddling my thumbs.

MINI says its still within the 10-14 week delivery period, and don't seem to be in any real rush to get a move on.

Does this sound like a load of b*******?!

Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Speed_is_Good
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. . . and still I wait! Big RED has finally made it to the dealer storage lot. Hopefully the car will be home Monday night.

Last edited by Speed_is_Good; 08-15-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:50 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Where are the 37 6MT JCW's imported to the USA?

Happy Holidays!

I was reading through this thread over the Holiday, and it brings back a lot of memories, especially for those of us who stepped up to the plate as the first buyers of the 6 speed manual transmission 2015 JCW's produced in 2015!

We all had a long wait, some of us about 3 months!...while we waited for the 6MT to be produced in 2015! I placed my order in early April 2015, and I wasn't expecting the car to even be built as a 2015 since time was running out before the switch in July to the 2016 model MINI's.

But, alas, in June 2015 MINI finally started running a few 6MT JCW's through Oxford! Mine was born on 6-4-15! I expect that all of us with low numbered VIN's in 2015 were among the first lucky recipients of the JCW manual transmission MINI's here in the USA.

I know Ryan (aka Ryephile) has since sold his JCW which his car's VIN ended in in 997344 (Midnight Black/Chili Red Roof & Mirrors), but many of you on this forum may still have your 6MT JCW's.

I often review Autotrader to see what pops up for sale for 2015 JCW 6MT and I've found the lowest VIN "so far" to end in 997320 (Rebel Green) all the way to 997352 (Chili Red, at least "Red" per the dealer...so I'm assuming Chili). That's a spread of 33 JCW's.

So, what was the lowest VIN for the 2015 JCW 6MT? 997320 or lower? Is the lowest VIN 997316?...based on 997352 being the last one that would be correct. Or was 997320 the first?..then 997356 would be the last one.

So, let's do a roll call of ending VIN's for this exclusive club.

If you are still on the forum, please jump in!

I'll start off: My Midnight Black Metallic (all black) 2015 JCW 6MT VIN ends in 997325. It might not be the very first. but it may be the first all black 2015 JCW 6MT made for the USA!

I just thought it would be fun to connect with others who experienced the excruciating "wait" back in the Spring of 2015! :-) Where is that first one! ...and where is that last one made?

Let's start a 2015 JCW 6MT Registry!

Happy Motoring!

John

Old 12-26-2016, 07:05 AM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car is 997347; Rebel Green with black top. Procurred from the same dealer as Ryan and despite the higher serial number, it arrived first!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Antberrie
2nd Gear
My midnight black/chili red JCW 6MT is #997327. Ordered 5/10/15. Picked up at dealer 7/10/15.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:33 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Here's what I have compiled so far (please let me know if there is anything needing to be edited or added to):

Registry for the 37 2015 MINI JCW 6MT Cars Imported into the USA

VIN Color (Ext/Roof/Interior)
Ending in 997320 Rebel Green/Black SR/

Ending in 997325 Midnight Black Metallic/Black/Dinamica

Ending in 997327 Midnight Black Metallic/Chili Red/

Ending in 997335 White Silver/

Ending in 997343 Chili Red/Black/Grey Cloth

Ending in 997344 Midnight Black Metallic/Chili Red/Grey Cloth

Ending in 997347 Rebel Green/Black/

Ending in 997352
Chili Red/
Total count spread of 33 cars

Last edited by 02fanatic; 12-27-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:22 AM
mgflyfish
1st Gear
short first gear

Originally Posted by MoBoost
Great news Ryan, now go out an drive it!

Edit: So, I've had more uninterrupted seat time without moving among different cars. My initial positive impressions get stronger with each mile. I'm getting accustomed to the relatively light clutch and the short first gear. Only have about 240 miles so far, so haven't really tested the acceleration, but my seat of the pants meter tells me it is definitely faster than my R53 JCW. The available torque at low revs is quite nice. The sport suspension is okay; I think I could go stiffer and still have an acceptable ride. This might be slightly different if I had 18" wheels and tires. We'll see.
that is an understatement--