JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Anyone replace the JCW exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 AM
cg1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone replace the JCW exhaust?

I am looking at the Borla right now:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...oper_s_exhaust

I have removed the JCW CAI and replaced it with an Alta (much, much better sounding). Now I think its time to replace the exhaust - I found a decent thread here on NAM but the sound clips were not working. So I thought I might try to get some opinions from people who have already made this change first hand.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you go with Borla, I suggest the "Race" (aka Sport) version. I had it on my modded 2003 MCS and I thought it sounded great. However, I thought it had a little too much cruising drone when installed on my 2006 GP due to no rear seat or rear insulation. I now have a Milltek on my GP which is a little louder than the JCW but quieter than the Borla Race. I thought the stock JCW exhaust was too quiet and I did not like the sound of the JCW with the resonator removed.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM
cg1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
If you go with Borla, I suggest the "Race" (aka Sport) version. I had it on my modded 2003 MCS and I thought it sounded great. However, I thought it had a little too much cruising drone when installed on my 2006 GP due to no rear seat or rear insulation. I now have a Milltek on my GP which is a little louder than the JCW but quieter than the Borla Race. I thought the stock JCW exhaust was too quiet and I did not like the sound of the JCW with the resonator removed.
Thanks for the feed back, I am agreeing that the JCW it too quiet...thus the desire for the change. I do a lot of highway driving and would be angry if I installed somethign with a fair amount of drone. Tho, my car is a convertible so its already louder inside.

I emailed Adam at Alta (like I said I installed the Alta CAI) and I am very pleased with it -- I'd like to hear from someone that has first hand experiance with the JCW, Alta and Borla (race) exhausts.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
willum
5th Gear
for the Borla Race. My '05 was a dealer installed JCW after 2 month's of ownership, so I went from stock MCS to the JCW engine package. I didn't really care for the sound of the JCW exhaust and after hearing the Borla I was hooked. 3+ years later I still love it. I was able to sell the JCW for close to what I paid for the Borla at AMVIV2, so that was a +. Not my daily driver but I have taken many long (500mi +) road trips and find the "drone" not to be all that bad.....windows down and sunroof open with a big everytime I motor. I've been told that if you are considering a header in the future, it maybe "too" loud......but it's subjective as to what you think is "too loud".

Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Well I dont have a JCW, but I have the parts that equate to it, but just wanted to say that I have the alta 2.5" exhaust and absolutely love it. When driving around town its louder than the jcw (I've driven a jcw, so I am familiar with the exhaust sound), but not annoyingly loud, when you get on it, it makes a great sound that is nice and thick. I use my Mini as a daily driver and have never felt it is too loud, and have made many long distance trips in it without any loud drone. My vote is for the alta(plus you lose weight with it being a single sided exhaust)

Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I have a cabrio with an exhaust and it doesn't drone at all, assuming the top is down.

I've heard many people that are pleased with the Alta and Borla. The Alta has a unique sound to it and I believe it is lighter in weight as well. If I were to get a different exhaust I'd get the Alta Stealth exhaust.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
????????
Like a "Sound Kit"?
Why not just plunk the mulah for RMW tune, or rest of package (head & cams, etc)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Sorry, you got
2008 MCS BRG Convertible; JCW, Sidewalk
I thought ya had GP, nevermind

Old 08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
RCE1
2nd Gear
I don't think I'd do it...

I had a 2003 MCS with Alta CAI and Quicksilver exhaust installed by the previous owner. I got so tired of how noisy it was. When I sold it, I got a 2006 JCW (last month of production) and LOVE it. It's just noisy enough for me and is a WHOLE lot faster than the 2003 was. Totally love the car and the way all the components seem to work together...a whole greater than the sum of the individual parts. Or so it seems. Whenever I get "tuned" exhausts, I always regret it sooner or later, but that's just me.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
WC50 408
4th Gear
I removed the JCW exhaust off my GP and ended up installing the Mini Madness V2 cat back. Sound is a little deeper and a little louder the JCW. Not too loud, just right IMO. There is NO DRONE and so far love the system. Cheers

Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 PM
SB
6th Gear
I've replaced the JCW exhaust with the Milltek and replaced the filter for the new Alta filter for the JCW box. I like the combination. You can make out the sound on occassion when the loud V8 isn't running.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Hey Gmann:
I did the same thing on my JCW, and really like the sound of the Madness Catback. The pop and burble, as well as tone is just right.

I do have some issues with the fit of that system, finish, and those crummy clamps, but the sound is perfect for me. With the reverberations in the parking garage at work, if I rev it a little I can get some car alarms to go off.....schweet!

Last edited by mini_racer; 08-16-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 AM
WC50 408
4th Gear
Mini Racer yea I had a little problem sealing the system just after of the collector. The four clamps at the mufflers sealed no problem. The other I had it Tig welded cost me 20 bucks, no other issues. Love the sound. I did have one tip that wasn't polished too well so called and they sent me a new one at no charge kept the other for a spare. Cheers

Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
I had the Miltek on my 05 MCS and loved it. It went bye bye when I traded it because I abandoned the stock trash after the Miltek install(after all, that was the last car I would ever need) not realizing that I was soon to lose my effing mind and order my 06 JCW! The prospect of un-super 07 turbo was not my kind of MINI. Anyway, while waiting for the 06 build and delivery, I fully expected to drop another $800 (with install) for another Miltek but the JCW, while not as throaty as the Miltek, was just enough to keep me from pulling the trigger. So, until I run over a really long toothed spike strip or a railroad tie or something, thus destroying the JCW cans, I will have to wait on the Miltek. The Miltek was great; not too loud until you put your foot in it and no highway drone. Go for it if you've got the coin!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
cg1
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies. I like sounds of the Alta - but it seems strange to pull the JCW system off which splits the pipe with two mufflers and installing one pipe with one muffler. The Alta is $800 or so but if you want the dual muffler than its $1,600 - ouch. The Borla is dual muffler and $800. What's the difference running two or one ?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Borla Sport uses two small mufflers at the same location as the JCW mufflers (just smaller mufflers). You can not see the Borla mufflers from the rear of the car. I do not like the way the larger JWC mufflers can be seen from the rear. The Alta just uses one muffler (on passanger side of car) to reduce noise instead of two mufflers. Thus the Alta system saves a little weight. I have not seen an Alta system installed so I do not know if the muffler can be seen from the rear. One issue I saw with an Ireland Eng cat-back (similar one muffler design as the Alta) is that the two exhaust tips dis-color differently because most of the exhaust only goes through one of the two tips due to the way the exhaust is routed. That exhaust tip difference would bother me.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 PM
cg1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
One issue I saw with an Ireland Eng cat-back (similar one muffler design as the Alta) is that the two exhaust tips dis-color differently because most of the exhaust only goes through one of the two tips due to the way the exhaust is routed. That exhaust tip difference would bother me.
That's an interesting item that I would not have given thought to -- that would bother me to know end too.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 AM
mikeesmini
1st Gear
What would be the difference in performance if you just replace the JCW mufflers with one of the many out there and leave the piping as is?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:46 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeesmini
What would be the difference in performance if you just replace the JCW mufflers with one of the many out there and leave the piping as is?
I was wondering this also. I have the JCW exhaust on my MCS. It's really quiet..even with no res. Thinking about changing out the mufflers for one of the single center mounted mufflers with the duel outlets.

I'm wondering if that would give any more power....and possible a better sound? My JCW exhaust is WAY to quiet.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
My recommendation would be to go with what was the Stratmosphere Flashpoint exhaust, it makes great torque numbers, fits perfect, and sounds great, if you want it louder you could remove it's resonator, but haven't had anyone need to do that, Oh and it doesn't drone.

We do have the Invidia exhaust on sale this week which will give you more sound, but won't have the torque numbers the flashpoint had.

As for the Borla, they fit and sound better than the Alta, but every borla I see after a year or so all the joints leak and all the welds crack on them. for the price I'd rather get the strat or milltek where that doesn't happen.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more