JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Backordered

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 06:41 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
JCW backordered- that's the topic.
In my area there have been two kits installed and a few more on order with about 10 owners interested.
High demand and short supply.
Key points- warranty and reliability.
Anyone doing Pulley and ECU upgrades had better be sure that if there is a mechanical problem with the car- the warranty is null and void- good luck. So are you risk averse or not.
JCW has spent a lot of time and resources to be sure and to make BMW sure that their upgrade kit is extremely reliable-hence the warranty and backing of BMW.
The JCW kit wasn't designed to be an all inclusive upgrade. They had to decide what to add to given the price range, the benefits, the reliability issue and warranty. Perhaps if they had offered stages like kit 1 and kit 2 then we might be more impressed but who knows- that might be in the works and depend on sales of the JCW kit right now.

In any event, in my area I do not see a lack of interest in the kit and it is backordered big time here so if you have interest in it you'd better make it clear to your dealer that you want one and want to be on the wait list and you should be willing to wait from 6 to 8 months for it. If you can get it in less time then great. Enjoy.

Warranty= peace of mind

Old 08-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Diggy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Was I bashing JCW's? Not my intention. Just saying every dollar you spend on the upgrade goes into hp - not brakes, not suspension - just power. You better have a quick car at the end of the deal. I think someone is a little overly sensitive.

Not overly sensitive...I don't see your point. If you change brakes or suspension on factory car, you have to recertify it. That's why my M5 cost more than a similarly equipped 540. The brakes are fine, and so is the suspension for 90% of the people out there. We who want more can pick how much suspensionand brake, but a JCW is balanced beautifully as is.

>>>>$10K worth of parts on an Alfa won't make a Ferrari either for the incremental horsepower.

Old 08-17-2003, 07:32 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Just got the call on Wednesday. My kit is here, which was ordered according to the dealer on 6/11/03. So approximately 3-4 month wait. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd one to arrive. Planning to have it installed the 1st week of September

Anybody hear of breaking in the car AGAIN after JCW install? I have 4K miles on my MCS now but will have around 7K when I get it installed because I'm going on a long roadtrip but the MINI manager at my dealer recommended another 1200 mile/under 4500 rpm break-in period.

02 MINI Cooper - Pure Silver/Black (SOLD)
02 Honda S2000 - Spa Yellow/Black

Old 08-17-2003, 08:00 AM
XAlfa
Banned
>> Fact is, if you don't see that point, you never will, so we're not even. Sadly, it's your loss.

Diggy, just trying to salvage some kind of friendly ending to this, but I guess you're not interested.

I totally understand the whole-greater-than-sum-of-parts point, but I guess I think of that from a behind the wheel perpective as opposed to the brand/historical one you seem to take.

BTW - 8C 2900 is my favorite Alfa.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:37 AM
FURIOSO
2nd Gear
I ordered the JCW kit in the beginning of July. Dealer called today that the kit was in, and if I still wanted it. Hell yes!

Kit gets installed next Monday. Have the Mini_Madness intake and the London Stainless header to compliment the kit. Dealer says they have no problem with these additonal items. Saved the air box, filter, and original header.

Drive the MINI in nice weather only, about 5,000 miles per year. Never in rain or snow. Built a separate garage to keep MINI. Live out in the country, use seldom used, paved roads with intersections every mile or so (regularly exceed 100 MPH).

Followed break in period to the letter, change oil every 2,500 miles. This Mini with the JCW will probably one of the few original MINI left in 20 years.

Haven't had ANY problems with it since delivery in 1/03.

I was surprised to get the kit so quickly. It was the Indiana dealership.