JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Backordered

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>-Critics beware: JCW bashing is getting to be a big bore

I couldn't agree more!

Old 08-11-2003, 08:20 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>>>-Critics beware: JCW bashing is getting to be a big bore
>>
>>I couldn't agree more!
>>
>>

Any JCWs in FL want to put their money where their
JCW mouth is?

Old 08-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>>>-Critics beware: JCW bashing is getting to be a big bore
>>
>>I couldn't agree more!
>>
>>

I'll second that.

Now say it with me - factory warranty, increased value, collectors item, 200hp - these are the attributes of the JCW kit. Of course you can find mods that will get you going faster but sheer power isn't necessarily the point of the JCW (and IMHO it's not really the point of the MINI either).

That being said if I had to think of one thing that the JCW is missing I'd go with larger front rotors and pads - but what car couldn't do with more brakes.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 AM
FURIOSO
2nd Gear
AMEN BROTHER!!!

I've heard so much crap about this subject. Its not too hard to figure the pro's and con's on this one!

Old 08-11-2003, 10:25 AM
miniblues
4th Gear
-The JCW kit Kicks' *** : Yes it cost a pretty penny but if you have the funds, want it & can find one, GO FOR IT! (Some self-appointed Mini Pundants are full of sour-grapes, have no money to speak of & have very little first-hand driving experience. Just read the real automotive press to get a picture of the performance )

No sour grapes, I went to the Dealer Test Drive very enthusiastic hoping it would be a real boost over the stock MCS....money is not a problem as I paid cash for my MCS and would certainly pay cash again if I wanted to mod the JCW....I have plenty of 1st hand driving experience, haven driven the Dealer JCW for almost an hour, in town, on the expressway, redlining in every gear and shutting it down on the expressway at 110....and I have read all the automotive reviews as well, many of them stating after the JCW test drive, they realize how terrific the stock MCS seems to be, little if any low end boost and gains at the top end where the MCS feels like it breaths better and feels stronger, but the actual performance numbers are modest from what I've seen, maybe there are numbers out there I've missed, then again maybe I have one of the fastest stock S's or the Dealer's test car is one of the slowest JCW's :smile:

-Critics beware: JCW bashing is getting to be a big bore : Many of you are speaking from a weak experiential perspective. You can't critique something you have such limited exposure to (IE: a quick spin at the dealers in a new JCW car w/ OE tire/wheels/intakes etc. does not constitute a knowledge/experience base. No scientist would consider this "valid".)

Again from above my experiential perspective is pretty valid to me, laugh... put over 20K miles on my MCS and driven the JCW from the above description...I certainly can tell the difference in the 2 cars....

-BOTOM LINE: Please don't tell me what I should or should not do/have/mod on my car. Let people make up their mind's & try to help by providing sound advice based on experience, research and well intentioned counsel!

BOTTOM LINE: I'm not telling you what to mod or not to mod, I could care less...I'm telling you what I would do and it certainly wouldn't be for the JCW mods based on my experiential perspective as you would say and the real research of driving the bloody JCW car, laugh !...My well intentioned council is go test drive the JCW for yourself and see if the performance is worth the $6K plus...regards to posts being a bore, I enjoy reading them, although there are a few boring posters out there :smile:

Regards to the JCW being a collector's items...possibly if the owner doesn't use it as a daily driver, keeps the milage very low and garages it...if it is a daily driver with 50K plus miles, then it won't happen IMO......cheers !

Old 08-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Blues-

I think that was a great reasonable response to all this. I can speak from experience: I have NOT driven the JCW car, so I don' t feel like I can talk about it; therefore, I don't. However, as a prospective "Modder" I am stuck with the question of jumping on the Pulley/ECU bandwagon for such little money, or saving for a year or two to get the JCW, yet keeping the warranty intact. It is a pretty nice warranty after all...

Also, an excellent point was made regarding a JCW's "collector's item" status. Most of us on this board are not the temperature/humidity controlled garage, rub-the-car-for-hours-with-diaper types. We want performance, or at least fun, and that doesn't translate very well into good value when it comes time to sell. I'm far more concerned with the value of my car as it relates to upkeep...hence my warranty concerns.

So, to sum up: yes, there is too much outright, uninformed JCW bashing (in my opinion), but there may also be a little too much lauding some times from the other side of the debate. Let's just all stay open-minded and reasonable, eh?

Old 08-11-2003, 02:43 PM
miniblues
4th Gear
I'm far more concerned with the value of my car as it relates to upkeep...hence my warranty concerns.

Couldn't agree more with you, that's why the only mods I've done so far are lighter 16" wheels and yokos. I would certainly rather spend $7K for the JCW upgrade and have it come apart than spend $2K for aftermarket and have it come apart, the $5K difference would then seem rather insignificant if you are talking engine, tranny, etc, etc and the hassle of dealing with MINIUSA & BMW after the most recent strong arming here regarding MCO trademark infringement :smile:

Where in Chitown are you??...I lived in Chicago area for over 20 years before moving to Arizona in 93. Lived in Deerfield for a while, purchased an 83 320 from Knaus in Lake Forest, still miss those great recaro seats with the slide out bottoms for my long legs. Then lived in Chicago, Lincoln Park for 4 years before moving to Arizona. Met my wife there and helped her purchase a 93 325 convertible from the BMW dealership in Lincoln Park, can't remember the name, on either Clark or Halsted street I think. She became full fledged Arizonan, trading in her bimmer convertible for a Jeep Grand Cherokee here shortly after they came out....but she is finally converting back now with her eye on the new 5 series when it comes out later this fall. She really can't understand my fascination with the MINI and keeps asking me why I don't trade it in for the 330 :smile: I guess because I had an original mini in the 70's for a brief time and I'm nostalgic for my youth again substituting a MINI instead of a mistress...lol ! Plus I still have a 91 Benz CE Coupe that is in mint condition that I occassionally drive for softer rides, but no where near the fun of the MCS around town. That's why I could never keep the MINI garaged and low milage, kind of like looking at a beautiful woman lying naked, beckoning you to join her in bed.....of course that would be if I was single.... my wife might be lurking :smile:

Let's just all stay open-minded and reasonable, eh?

I agree 100%.....you aren't from Canada are you with the eh....my sister-in-law is from Toronto and that is all I hear in every sentence, eh :smile:

Cheers !

Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Jims5543
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I decided to order the JCW kit today. I am 2 weeks from recieving my CooperS and I was told 4-6 weeks for the JCW kit. So this will give me time to break in the bottom end and other bits and peices. It also gives me a great opportunity to feel the CooperS without and then with the JCW upgrade.

My biggest deciding factor is the warranty. My other big factor is that I did not buy this car to be a supercar killer. It is a A to B car for me to drive to work and home then have fun with either on a twisty road of at the Autocross.

My "Toy" is in the garage already see my sig - I already have an 11 second car so I dont really feel the need to ruin my Mini's reliability with a monster conversion kit.

Trust me guys I have a couple of friends with 400HP FWD cars they are no fun. Unless wheel spin is your idea of fun.

Any JCWs in FL want to put their money where their
JCW mouth is? - 2minis
2minis - Where are you in Fla?? I am in Jensen Beach - East Coast 30 miles north of West Palm Beach. Your welcome to try to take out my RX-7.

I will probably be running my car at a winter Chin Motorsports event at Moroso.
Bring out your beast and lets see it run.

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/default.asp

Old 08-11-2003, 08:54 PM
MGear
5th Gear
When I placed my JCW reservation back in early May the dealer, New Country Motors in Hartford, CT said I was number three on their list. To date the dealer has installed one JCW, so now I am number two on the list

Old 08-11-2003, 08:59 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Mgear! What's with the new ID? Did you MAX out your posts and have to start over?

Like completeing Super Mario Bros!

Let me not be confused....your sig... Oakley goggled - same guy new MCO ID or is it a new guy...who'a an Identity Thief?????

Old 08-12-2003, 03:58 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Hey there MightyM, yeah that sounds good, I maxed out Super Mario!
No, all kidding aside, one day I was on the site and my MCO account seemed to get corrupted. All of a sudden I couldn't post any anything and lost access to several areas on the MCO site as well. Not sure what happened, so I just opened up a new account and not thinking about it, I put my license plate name in as my name and my name in a different place.
Yup its still me!

Old 08-12-2003, 05:27 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
>>When I placed my JCW reservation back in early May the dealer, New Country Motors in Hartford, CT said I was number three on their list. To date the dealer has installed one JCW, so now I am number two on the list

Same here!! Crown MINI of Richmond where I was #3 but I think I was just bumped up to #2. They have also only installed 1 kit to date. Estimated ETA sometime this month for the next kit.

Old 08-13-2003, 05:45 PM
ceberlik
1st Gear
I may, or may not, have been on the JCW waiting list for 6 months (since I first heard about it). I may, or may not, have been bumped down to #2 on their waiting list for some reason. I may, or may not be spending significantly less for the kit than $6000+ like people are claiming. However, I definately am getting it installed next week. Interpret this message as you will. :smile:

Old 08-14-2003, 05:22 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
>>I may, or may not, have been on the JCW waiting list for 6 months (since I first heard about it). I may, or may not, have been bumped down to #2 on their waiting list for some reason. I may, or may not be spending significantly less for the kit than $6000+ like people are claiming. However, I definately am getting it installed next week. Interpret this message as you will. :smile:

Let us know how it goes and how the changes feel!!

Old 08-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Scoutd
3rd Gear
Yes the JCW is high priced. It will be a collector limited edition series 1.
I have sat on the sidelines to long...watched several cars rise beyond my means,
AC COBRA's, 60's vettes, Hemi's This rise I am going to enjoy from the drivers seat.
Put a deposit down on JCW and MCS today both due to meet up in OCT. Bring on the curves!! and let the clutch roll out, and the rubber slide... Momma 's got a brand new toy!!
Aint life grand!

Old 08-14-2003, 11:52 PM
XAlfa
Banned
>>...BTW, had to black out the company name for a while, not 'til M7's official release date...soory

Venom
http://www.venom-performance.com/

Nitrous. Whatever.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:54 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
That is not the JCW replacement mind you....

Old 08-14-2003, 11:56 PM
XAlfa
Banned
You're damn right it's not.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:57 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
But I have seen the replacement/alternative.... Watch out.....

Old 08-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>Now say it with me - factory warranty, increased value, collectors item, 200hp - these are the attributes of the JCW kit. Of course you can find mods that will get you going faster but sheer power isn't necessarily the point of the JCW (and IMHO it's not really the point of the MINI either).

Heck, you had me at the first point! But unless I had the cash for a 'winter' MINI, my stock MCS already kicks up enough snow...

But really, If i was going to do anything 'major' to my MINI, (beyond intake or exhaust), JCW is the only way I'd go for the factory warranty alone...

Rocketboy_X

Old 08-15-2003, 05:57 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Well I've got a Works S and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah there are cheaper ways of getting 200BHP but bang goes your warranty. It's like anything in life, there's always a cheaper version. I initially thought the JCW was a rip of but once I drove it I could feel where the money went. It has such a factory feel which I like. It's as home on a highway as it is on a racetrack.

I've blown all sorts of competition away with my Works S it's amazingly quick.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:38 PM
XAlfa
Banned
My God, it better be quick, given what you paid to add the incremental horsepower.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Diggy
2nd Gear
Thanks for that razor sharp insight, XAlfa...I have JCW too, and it was, but not enough, so I modded mine. Perhaps you can bash JCW's once you own/have driven/understand....
$10K worth of parts on an Alfa won't make a Ferrari either for the incremental horsepower. Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:26 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
My JCW will be installed in my '04 pure silver/silver, as soon as it gets to the dealer...no need to wait for the 1200 miles breaking period,since you still have to break in the engine,with or without the kit....I already have the H sport springs,I've bought a BMP cold intake today,from rspeed, I got the rally lights,and next month I'm buying the booster/oil press from rspeed.and the body kit from cc-b automotive,and when the car gets here,I'll get the new wheels...I also got the aux gages from the dealer (batt and water temp),...But the wait is killing me....schedule for production 09/05/03

Old 08-15-2003, 10:48 PM
XAlfa
Banned
>> Perhaps you can bash JCW's once you own/have driven/understand....

Was I bashing JCW's? Not my intention. Just saying every dollar you spend on the upgrade goes into hp - not brakes, not suspension - just power. You better have a quick car at the end of the deal. I think someone is a little overly sensitive.

>>$10K worth of parts on an Alfa won't make a Ferrari either for the incremental horsepower. Just a thought.

I'm sure it's an interesting thought and I'm glad you found it amusing, but I have absolutely NO idea what you mean. Was that Alfa bashing? If so, maybe we're even.

Quick Reply: JCW Backordered