JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

To JCW Kit or not to JCW Kit that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 10:58 PM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MCS on order that is due to arrive at my dealership in about three weeks. I decided against the Works kit because the dealer told me it would add a whopping $6,000 ($4,500 for the parts and $1,500 to install it) to the sticker price of my car.

What do you guys/girls think?

Is the JCW kit worth it or no?

Does anyone own a Works Cooper and was it worth it?

RaceCarDriver

Old 08-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
My vote goes for a Randy Webb Motorsport 200HP package:
ALTA Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, ALTA pulley, and Powerchips software - good for at least 200HP at the crank (ditto with JCW), all for $1,655 in parts, and Randy gives a discount for ordering them all at once as the Package.

I think the JCW is great for the MCS owners that covet their warranty like they do a Bible Otherwise, aftermarket is the value-oriented and dyno-proven way to go!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I have a MCS on order that is due to arrive at my dealership in about three weeks. I decided against the Works kit because the dealer told me it would add a whopping $6,000 ($4,500 for the parts and $1,500 to install it) to the sticker price of my car.
>>
>>What do you guys/girls think?
You will find all sorts of opinions. Only you need to make that decision. Obviously there is no trouble selling the kits. They are in demand and can command a high price. What does that tell you? People are willing to pay for the right to have the kit and retain their precious warranty for 4 years. Are you willing to take the risk of paying for trouble should it develop in your car with all those aftermarket upgrades?

>>Is the JCW kit worth it or no?
Sure it is worth it for the peace of mind that comes with a warranty and for the upgrade itself- which is no slouch.
If you ask the people that have the kit they all say it is fine and they like it. Sure it costs much more than the aftermarket upgrades of the same type. You get the prestige that goes with the kit and you retain some value as a result. Who cares if you have the pulley or ECU upgrade if you sell on the open market- in fact some buyers don't want this kind of car that has been modded because when something goes wrong then the dealer will just say the warranty is void due to the upgraded engine.

>>Does anyone own a Works Cooper and was it worth it?
Sure. Nearly every kit has been sold that came to the US. There is a waiting line for more kits. The price is not going down at all and in my area there is no decrease in interest and demand. We have had 570 MINIs sold since the introduction of MINI, 2 kits-both installed, both owners like it. 5 to 8 people waiting for the next kit which is on backorder. So line up and take a number if you are interested.

Is the kit a good value? Nope. You have to be willing to spend the money. To afford it. Otherwise stick to the smaller upgrades or if you really like value then do the Randy Motorsport special which is good- just no warranty from the dealer. I don't have the JCW kit but I like it and did consider it for a long time for my MCS.

Do a search if you want to hear from JCW kit owners- most have really good things to say about the kit.

>>
>>RaceCarDriver

Old 08-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
In my never to be humble opinion, , the JCW kit is all about the warranty... It's more costly up front, but if you get into trouble later down the road, your're covered... and if you ever decide to sell your MINI, , you'll get more cash for a JCW than one with aftermarket upgrade parts... not to knock the aftermarket guys, but it seems to me that if you have to ask what route you'd rather take, i'm guessing it would be the safer choice of a JCW kit...

Rocketboy_X

Old 08-23-2003, 06:50 AM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Hey
Let me throw my 2¢ worth in here. As I have said before on this site, it is your money and how you spend it is your business. If I had the money to spend, the JCW would be the way to go. It's a well developed package that adds up to more than the sum of the parts, just like your MINI!
Charles

Old 08-23-2003, 08:09 AM
jmusicman
1st Gear
As has been said... its totally up to you...

But if I could afford the upgrade... I'd probably do it... in fact I think its the only way to go as far as engine mods... no warranty flack EVER... and you get the most refined upgrade possible... just like its the "M" MCS.... If the cash is burning in your pocket... go for it.... However... don't forget... if you make that leap... you COULD have bought other cars too (350Z/G35 C)... not that those cars are better... they're just different...

I wish I had to make such difficult choices (but instead I think I will pay the mortage on my house and avoid eviction)
Jay