Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Airbag Light after Accident, What needs to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
eskay
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Light after Accident, What needs to be replaced?

After the airbag blew, I replaced it and apparently the battery terminal popped. I wanted to know what I needed to replace before I went to the dealer to have the light turned off. Dont want to waste time and money.. Here is what I've done.

* Replugged the battery but did not fix the (popped terminal)?
* Replaced/Installed the new Airbag.

Anything else? My Mech. told me I needed to replace the safety feature in the battery area? And something about reprogramming the SRS Computer? Im not sure if I need these things, Is replacing the airbag enough to shut off the light? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
eskay
1st Gear
nothing?

Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
more more more

assuming the drivers side airbag was what came out, you at least need a drivers side seatbelt/buckle or both. was the wiring on the rear of the bag melted? if so, did you replace it? did the passenger side deploy as well? what year car? and finally, yes the entire positive battery cable must be replaced.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
eskay
1st Gear
Finally a response! Thank you very much... Heres the additional info..

THe driverside airbag came out.. Nothing was melted, I replaced it with a new airbag, the passenger side did not deploy, the car is a 2006. the car runs and drives fine now, the mech. told me he popped the terminal back in and everything worked fine now.

So at the moment,

I need to replace the driver side seatbelt buckle?

I need to get a whole new positive battery cable (even though it starts/charges fine at the moment?)

If the wire was melted.. (ill have to double check now) what would this mean?

Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The buckle on the seat has a tensioner that pulls the seatbelt tight in case of an accident. Compare the drivers side to the passenger side seat buckle. If the drivers side looks compressed, then the seatbelt tensioner has fired and needs to be replaced.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
battery cable

your positive battery cable has a fuseible link that burns through when the airbags deploy. this is a safety item so if an emergency worker should be trying to help free someone from a damaged car, the other parts cannot deploy. this can only be replaced with an entire battery cable, it is not serviceable. also the drivers buckle and possibly the belt. (some belts are pre tensioners as well). a code scan of your car will tell what is actually deployed and then after those parts are replaced, you can get the controller reset.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:04 PM
eskay
1st Gear
A code scan from lets say "steves auto clinic"? will tell me what I need to replace before "turning off the light?"

also does "controller reset = turning off the light?" same thing?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 AM
eskay
1st Gear
So I should get a new Seat belt, and Buckle and then take it into the dealership? Is there actually any mechanics in the Seat belt itself, I thought replacing the buckle was the primary suspect? I took it the dealer and they told me something about the seat belt circuit... Any clue in please?