Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior HUD (Heads Up Display) -- Defi's VSD Concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HUD (Heads Up Display) -- Defi's VSD Concept

(title edited for typo)

Anyone here have any knowledge of this system? Looks pretty cool.

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/con...ncept_top.html

Last edited by minihune; 02-15-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had one on my Subaru 2.5RS a few years ago. Used the programmable shift-light function - very nice! Note, I did not apply the tinted film rectangle to the windshield - but still got a decent (albeit slightly blurry) reflected image under all but the most glaring lighting conditions.

I also liked the function to store and display maximum speed.

_Dave_

Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Dave,

How did it hold up to under a lot of sunshine? I live in PHX and this is a big concern of mine having the display unit on the dash where it gets blisteringly hot.

Would you put one in your MINI?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Dom, I had the HUD in New England, so I don't think I can speak to how well it would hold up in continuous bright sunlight... It sits on the dash, so you could always put up a sunshield over it...

The Subie's rev-limiter cut in a lot harder than the MINI's, and I think the supercharger whine on the MINI makes it easier to hear engine speed, so I don't think I would get the HUD now. If you find that you're frequently hitting the limiter, then it's a nicer way to deal with it than the JCW Shift Light in my opinion...

_Dave_

Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by am0eba
Dom, I had the HUD in New England, so I don't think I can speak to how well it would hold up in continuous bright sunlight... It sits on the dash, so you could always put up a sunshield over it...

The Subie's rev-limiter cut in a lot harder than the MINI's, and I think the supercharger whine on the MINI makes it easier to hear engine speed, so I don't think I would get the HUD now. If you find that you're frequently hitting the limiter, then it's a nicer way to deal with it than the JCW Shift Light in my opinion...

_Dave_
I'm really not too interesting in it as a shift light...rather a way to see temps (oil /water / exh ) and pressures (oil) and other techie stuff without having to put a gazillion round guages in my car. Although the shift light would be a nice thing to have...but more importantly I can set warning levels on the various items and it will beep. The best thing about it is that it is a HUD. Did you have the Basis or the Concept?

Old 02-15-2006, 02:16 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I to owned a Subaru 2.5rs before I bought the MCS. It was a great car, but I love my MCS even better!

Garrett

Originally Posted by am0eba
I had one on my Subaru 2.5RS a few years ago. Used the programmable shift-light function - very nice! Note, I did not apply the tinted film rectangle to the windshield - but still got a decent (albeit slightly blurry) reflected image under all but the most glaring lighting conditions.

I also liked the function to store and display maximum speed.

_Dave_

Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Dom, my Defi HUD was an early model that only provided displays related to vehicle speed or engine speed. I wouldn't think heads-up immediacy would be valuable for other sensors...

Garrett, I loved my Subie, but I too prefer my MCS!

Still get a twinge when I see an RS on the street though - I learned how to steer with the throttle on that car!

_Dave_

Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dom,
I have all the Defi gauges that will work on the Mini, as well as the VSD Basis. If you want the Concept VSD, I don't believe you'll be able to eliminate all the wiring, sensors, etc. My suggestion would be to get the VSD Basis for rpm or mph display, and several of the more important gauges, e.g., oil temp and pressure, boost, etc. For a HUD to be useful, it should be simple enough to read while motoring down the highway or track. IMO, The VSD Concept is not that way.

I have had my Defi gauges and the VSD for some time, and I feel the Defi products are outstanding. BTW, the VSD has a controller for image brightness so that you can optimize viewing. Daytime viewing in sunny Southern California is no problem. At night I just turn down the brightness of the display.

Good luck,

Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The concept VSD uses the Defi sensors but allows the option to not have several gagues but still get the readings. I have done some research on this, does seem to be more popular with the Subaru crowd though.