Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior wheelarches, front bumper, back bumper, side skirts painted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 06:54 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, i know tons of u guys have coopers w/ all body painted and i was wonderin if u could post complete side view pics of them. i want to see if painting them makes the car look higher cuz the black disappears. anyone got dark silver/black like this? thanks a lot. also, do u guys get a lot of rock chips?

Old 02-18-2003, 06:58 PM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Over at Mini2 they have many guys in the UK who have done this - looks great, but as it turned out in the 80's with the GTi guys (same kind of idea you have) - rock chips and cracks do happen. If you leave them unpainted - just add some vinyl dressing and it will look even better.

-Peter

Old 02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
ya, do u have this done, i really want to get it done, but im worried about paint chips from rocks. wat do u mean vinyl it ? i would get it done and buy protection but i dont think it is made yet for the whole car, just the front. and also it is very expensive.

Old 02-18-2003, 09:23 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I'd like to see what it looks like, because if I like it enough I might buy into it instead of something a lot more expensive like aero. if you can please post a pic of your painted side skirts.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:09 AM
fulllupo
2nd Gear
Check this out:

http://www.mini-madness.com/item.htm...p;PRID=1209361

Best mini ive ever seen and exactly how im getting mine. Love the wheels too, this car is the dogs *********! Ill post picks when i finnaly get it. (Of my mcs, not my dogs *********!)

Old 02-19-2003, 08:13 AM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best mini ive ever seen and exactly how im getting mine. Love the wheels too, this car is the dogs *********! Ill post picks when i finnaly get it. (Of my mcs, not my dogs *********!)
You might also like this one:

DS/DS Sunroof Painted Wheel Arches and side skirts.

See ya,
JS

Old 02-19-2003, 12:13 PM
fulllupo
2nd Gear
I certainly do. Im still debating whether i need to get the sideskirts if im having the plastic painted...but theres no denying it does look superb. Hmmmm, decisons decisions.....think ive decided after these pics to go with the d/s roof as appose to the black i was previously having. Anyome any ideas how much it costs just to have the black bits painted like the 2 pictures? I mean wihtout any of the aero kit.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2003, 12:29 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
This weekend, I pick my DS/W S up from painting the aero kit and arches body color. If I can figure out how to do it, I will post some pictures.
Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but do you know if the wheels on the above link are SSR GT1? Would you happen to know the size and if that is the stock finish or have they been polished or plated?

Old 02-19-2003, 12:42 PM
fulllupo
2nd Gear
Judging by the name on the link, i think this is jstines own mini. U should PM him if he dont reply on here. Yeah post some pics of your mini, im interested in seeing what it looks like with the white roof. How much did it cost for the painting? Im not getting the aero kit (apart from maybe the sideskirts) and im form the UK, but it will prob be similar price.

Cheers

Old 02-19-2003, 01:50 PM
jstines
4th Gear
>>Judging by the name on the link, i think this is jstines own mini. U should PM him if he dont reply on here. Yeah post some pics of your mini, im interested in seeing what it looks like with the white roof. How much did it cost for the painting? Im not getting the aero kit (apart from maybe the sideskirts) and im form the UK, but it will prob be similar price.
>>
>>Cheers
>>

My MCS is on order, and it will look similar to this once I get it in, but this one is not mine. It belongs to a body shop owner, Loren Koski of Import Paint and Body in Charlotte, NC. He works on a lot of high-end cars and does great work. His roof was actually black, but he painted it DS. I'm getting mine that way from the factory.

I'm almost certain the wheels are SSR, but I don't know the exact flavor, nor do I know if he gave them any special treatment. From memory, I don't think he did. This car has the aero kit, the stock runflats, and his windows have been tinted 35% all around. He also has the Borla exhaust on the car. I really liked the sound. Growled, but not too loud.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

See ya,
JS

Old 02-19-2003, 03:59 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
are those two dark silver ones lowered? ive got a black top and i think it looks great w/ tinted windows

Old 02-20-2003, 04:53 AM
fulllupo
2nd Gear
I just got a reply to my email from mini-madness, which is where the d/s s with the 18inch kahns picture comes from. And apparently it has been lowered on springs. Im not very technical minded so i dunno if he means on the factory springs or what, but im sure anyone who isnt useless can shed some light? Also any1 got any idea of the price of spraying the arches and front/rear black plastic bits on a mini cooper s without aero kit yet?

Old 02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Just picked up my MCS with the black painted body color, and the aero side skirts installed. Does this pic help:

Big Picture

Old 02-26-2003, 05:52 AM
fulllupo
2nd Gear
Just came back from mini garage, its gonna cost me £500 for d/s arches+ sideskirts, front and rear section and body couloured mirrors. Thats about $800 i believe for all u americans out there.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:05 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm a bit baffled why MINI doesn't paint the arches from the factory, cuz the original Cooper S, although having fender flares, were painted body color! Ironically, I think the MINI looks more pronounced with the black plastic flares, when the arches are painted the car looks more (gasp) average!

$0.02
Cheers

Old 02-27-2003, 05:31 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I anticipate that I will suffer paint damage from my painted wheel arches (from people who don't care how they treat other cars) so that might be one reason for MINI to come with non-chippable trim.

Also, some colors (eg: red) look great to me with the standard black trim.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:39 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
At some point in the past I recall having seen a PS/B with the arches painted in glossy black - it looked really sharp, IMO. I think certain color combos do look better with black arches, particular any with a black roof. The white roofs seem to be better with body color arches - again, IMHO.

If I were to do this, I would first try to see about getting some custom fit Stoneguard or Invisishield.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:47 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
I actually like it better with the way it comes out from the factory. I does remind my first car (a 91 golf gti).

But given that Minis are pretty much ordered before built, I agree they should offer it as an option, just as you can pick white or silver rims. This way everybody gets what they want.

Old 03-04-2003, 08:10 AM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Sure, the painted arches look great.
However, that silver one with black painted arches looks
very cool. Is it just the overall car, or the black with the silver?
Who else plans on painting their arches black instead of body color?
It looks like some colors look a little odd with body colored arches.
(IE: Liquid Yellow looks a little off with the arches painted yellow)
It makes the wheel arches look very small......like that Suzuki Aero.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:00 PM
beshaw
2nd Gear
I am having the arches on my Dark Silver with Aero painted gloss black right now.
I think that the photo in the modified mini's had some influence on my descision to do them in black.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:13 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
>>I am having the arches on my Dark Silver with Aero painted gloss black right now.
>>I think that the photo in the modified mini's had some influence on my descision to do them in black.

really, i would love to see this, when is it gonna be done?

Old 03-04-2003, 06:17 PM
beshaw
2nd Gear
Droppd the car at the body shop this morning ... they might have it until Friday, he is giving me a hell of a deal provided that I let him have the car for some time so that he can get to it when he has people free. Some really sweet kid whacked the car with a hockey stick wich prompted my visit to the body shop, lol. Kids are precious are'nt they?

Old 03-04-2003, 06:19 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I have seen a picture of a red mini with the wheel arches painted, it is for sale and has a union jack roof on it and is located in colorado for searching help on the website. I think that it looks pretty cool.

Old 03-05-2003, 03:48 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
is the cooper from mini-madness, shown below, does it have a chrome front grill. it looks really awesome, but i do not want to screw w/ suspension

Old 03-05-2003, 07:35 PM
jstines
4th Gear
>>is the cooper from mini-madness, shown below, does it have a chrome front grill. it looks really awesome, but i do not want to screw w/ suspension
>>

Chrome grills, mirrors, and boot handles are now an option for S's in the UK (or will be sometime in March).

I really want that option here in the US. On some colors, the chrome works much better, IMO.

See ya,
JS

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior wheelarches, front bumper, back bumper, side skirts painted?