Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Installing a dashcam/backup camera+fixing DC socket in R53

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 08:03 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installing a dashcam/backup camera+fixing DC socket in R53

Hello all,

So I have to redo my headliner on my 2002 R53 soon, and I thought, why not pick up a dashcam/backupcam so I can wire it while I install the headliner? I picked up the Akaso DL12(
Amazon Amazon
) for about $99 and I want to install the rear camera on the inside of the hatch window. I know that I have to wire the backup camera into the backup light lead, which is on the bumper of the R53. Has anyone done this and knows how to do a clean wiring job/what additional parts I need to get? I also don't know where the ground is located for getting power from the fuse box. I believe the mirror is a clamp on type, so I don't have to worry about re-wiring the antenna for the remote lock.

Additionally, my DC outlet has not been working for many years (not sure if the wiring affects it, but my driver side seat heater won't stay on either. Lights work, so I know it's getting power.. seats will heat if I hold the button down, but once I let go, the connection Is lost. Passenger side goes on and stays on) Either way, I have to check the wiring to the DC socket. Not sure if there is a DIY with photos on the forums.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would help a lot. If it's too complicated, I'll probably just return it lol :(

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Jefferson Riff
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
You will need the camera and its wiring harness, some electrical tape, wire tap connectors, a trim tool to open up the interior some basic hand tools and a wire cloth hangar to feed the wire into the liftgate. (and some other things I am forgetting)

Just tuck the wires into the edge of the headliner/A-pillar and dash trim, then down into the dash and to a fuse in the fuse box next to the drivers side footwell.

As for the ground, there are several ground points/ lugs that you can attach to, you don't need to run a wire all the way back to the battery.

Some times getting the wires fed to a tailgate can be a problem. I have found that if I pull both ends of the tube loose from the body and liftgate, I can straighten out the rubber tube and get a stiff wire such as a cloths hangar and carefully push through it the tube. Then you can tape your wire to the hangar, and pull it through, that way it is protected from the weather and gives a professional look. Also I would try to use some liquid hand soap or dish soap (avoid WD40) to help the wire bundle slide through more easily.

Getting to the reverse light is different depending if you have a pre/post -facelift R53. Since your signature shows a pre-facelift you will need to trace the wire from the white reverse in the bumper up into the body near one of the tail lights (I can't remember if it is left or right side. Once you locate that wire near the tail light, just tap into that to power the camera.

Hope this helps

Jeff

The following users liked this post:
thevastdifference (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Jeff!
I currently have the headliner out and the wiring harness to connect the power to the fuse. I have to check my bentley on how to remove the dash trim as well, but I would think it's in there. Upon looking at the tailgate, it does look like a bit of a task but I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, it just started to get cold in Chicago so I'll have to wait till spring