Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:02 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Headlight Conversion

Hi all,

I have an r53 (05 MCS) and the Orig Owner chose to go with standard Halogens unfortunately and also did not go with Headlight Washer Option. So, this brings me to my current hunt for HID/LED/Whatever gives me a sh** ton of light. I realize this is going to take $250-350 and i hope not above that.

If somebodoy is willing to help i have a couple questions

1) Which factory parts would fit? Only 05-06 Xenons? 2004 seems to be not projector housings which is a slight turn off. If im currently without Headlight washers, do i need to stay this way?

2) Any aftermarket recommendations?? looking for HID or LED Projectors. (Please no more links to $200 Halogen Projectors unless you think I should do them + HID Conversion Kit)

3) Excuse my lack of knowledge, but do you need a ballast with each halogen bulb? Im new to this headlamp world

Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
I am in the same situation as you. I believe the Xenon conversion can be done but will cost you!

I am going to go this route:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

I am going to try halogens first, like the Zika bulb and if that is not good enough, do the same as the above thread and get a HID kit.

Ecstuning has the lights and you can also find them on Ebay.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (05-09-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:25 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lotter1
I am in the same situation as you. I believe the Xenon conversion can be done but will cost you!

I am going to go this route:

I am going to try halogens first, like the Zika bulb and if that is not good enough, do the same as the above thread and get a HID kit.

Ecstuning has the lights and you can also find them on Ebay.
Power to ya. Ive tried the whiter and 'higher output' halogens with little to no luck. Thats why I'm desperate for some better light. With the summer around the corner, I'll be driving more and with a bit more zip

ECSTuning (05-09-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Hence I am going to go with the projector headlights. supposed to be better than stock halogens. Some have had good luck with the projectors with halogen bulbs, and some use the projector with HID or LED

Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've been offering these lights that are very affordable and work well
https://waymotorworks.com/black-head...0-r52-r53.html

Otherwise switching to the real xenons is really nice, but more expensive and needs to be coded for them. But if you do this you do NOT need to worry about the washers as you can leave them disconnected.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-30-2018, 08:11 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Halogen Projectors?

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've been offering these lights that are very affordable and work well
https://waymotorworks.com/black-head...0-r52-r53.html

Otherwise switching to the real xenons is really nice, but more expensive and needs to be coded for them. But if you do this you do NOT need to worry about the washers as you can leave them disconnected.
Am I correct in saying that these are new Projector Housings with H7 Halogen bulbs?

I would then need a HID Conversion Kit to make them fit my needs. Have them in stock, WMW??

All the best,
Cole

Old 05-01-2018, 05:14 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a pre-facelift MCS that had factory xenons and I wanted to go to projectors. I bought used facelift xenons at Allmag for $400 total with the ballasts. Then I dropped Hikari Cree LED bulbs in for the high beams. Kept the stock xenons at the low beam and still have headlight washers. I love LED lighting. HIDs are inefficient and require extra ballasts/wiring. No reason to get an HID kit in this day and age.

My dad has an R50 that the headlight housings were getting very hazy and yellow on. I bought him Helix headlights that are made to copy the facelift xenon projector housings but accept regular H7 bulbs in the low beam. I think this the best option for you. You get the projectors, but don’t have to mess with expensive xenon bulbs and the housings don’t come with the cutout for the headlight washers you don’t have. Then I would put LEDs in for the high/low beam and you’ll have some great lighting.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-helix-pa...ni01hl-cc~hlx/

Last edited by sevin; 05-01-2018 at 05:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sevin:
bratling (06-01-2018), ECSTuning (05-09-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:41 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
I have a pre-facelift MCS that had factory xenons and I wanted to go to projectors. I bought used facelift xenons at Allmag for $400 total with the ballasts. Then I dropped Hikari Cree LED bulbs in for the high beams. Kept the stock xenons at the low beam and still have headlight washers. I love LED lighting. HIDs are inefficient and require extra ballasts/wiring. No reason to get an HID kit in this day and age.

My dad has an R50 that the headlight housings were getting very hazy and yellow on. I bought him Helix headlights that are made to copy the facelift xenon projector housings but accept regular H7 bulbs in the low beam. I think this the best option for you. You get the projectors, but don’t have to mess with expensive xenon bulbs and the housings don’t come with the cutout for the headlight washers you don’t have. Then I would put LEDs in for the high/low beam and you’ll have some great lighting.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-helix-pa...ni01hl-cc~hlx/

Hey there. You got a MINI fam over there haha

So, after reading this I did some research.

1) Buying the Helix (Halogen Projectors) is a decent option, but once buying I'd have to stick with halogens in the low beam position. In a Halogen Projector (which i learned is a different bowl shape and build than an HID) an LED in this projector would give me good light but only short range and doesnt have good down-road lighting. Requirement when driving your MCS at "proper" speeds.

2) I might just have to bite the annoying bullet and find someone parting out a 2005+ MINI with factory Xenon setup. Dreading it but it seems like there's no solid way of making reliable , long range bright light without it.

Opinions??

Old 05-01-2018, 07:46 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Not to sound like a broken record, but read this thread.

The OP installed the DEPO/HELIX halogen projector headlights but installed a HID kit. According to him much better light output.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:28 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cdemarco4
Hey there. You got a MINI fam over there haha

So, after reading this I did some research.

1) Buying the Helix (Halogen Projectors) is a decent option, but once buying I'd have to stick with halogens in the low beam position. In a Halogen Projector (which i learned is a different bowl shape and build than an HID) an LED in this projector would give me good light but only short range and doesnt have good down-road lighting. Requirement when driving your MCS at "proper" speeds.

2) I might just have to bite the annoying bullet and find someone parting out a 2005+ MINI with factory Xenon setup. Dreading it but it seems like there's no solid way of making reliable , long range bright light without it.

Opinions??
We used Ziza H7 “xenon look” bulbs in the R50 and they were actually brighter than my pre-facelift xenons. Where did you read that LEDs wouldn’t have good distance in projectors? That’s more of an issue for LEDs used in reflector housings, not projectors. Projectors focus LED light better than reflectors in most cases. For what it’s worth, I have LEDs in the the high beams (which are reflector housed) and they cast a clean, white-blue light at a great range. Far better than stock. Buying those Helix OE projectors and getting some good LED bulbs in both sockets will give you excellent, clean light output at a much lower cost than buying facelift OEM xenons. Those are $850 each new. Allmag has them for $400 a set, but those are used.

The following 2 users liked this post by sevin:
cdemarco4 (05-01-2018), ECSTuning (05-09-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lotter1
Hence I am going to go with the projector headlights. supposed to be better than stock halogens. Some have had good luck with the projectors with halogen bulbs, and some use the projector with HID or LED
My only concern is pricing.

Finding OEM Xenon's used might even be less expensive then OE Halogen Projectors + HID Kit

However cheaper solutions would be:
1) OE Halogen Projector + Upgraded Halogen or LED Bulbs in Low Beam

Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Don’t waste your money on an HID kit.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:24 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
We used Ziza H7 “xenon look” bulbs in the R50 and they were actually brighter than my pre-facelift xenons. Where did you read that LEDs wouldn’t have good distance in projectors? That’s more of an issue for LEDs used in reflector housings, not projectors. Projectors focus LED light better than reflectors in most cases. For what it’s worth, I have LEDs in the the high beams (which are reflector housed) and they cast a clean, white-blue light at a great range. Far better than stock. Buying those Helix OE projectors and getting some good LED bulbs in both sockets will give you excellent, clean light output at a much lower cost than buying facelift OEM xenons. Those are $850 each new. Allmag has them for $400 a set, but those are used.
100% concerning this

I'm sorry I cant recall where I saw LED's not working well in projectors but their reasoning was due to how LED's emit their light in a different shape then halogens.

As of right now, I have two ideas in mind:

1) Finding OEM Xenons off a "Part-Out" post in the marketplace. Replacing bulbs with TheRetrofitSource bulbs (trusted friend recommendation) + LED's High Beams

Reasoning: Just something about OEM quality and theres a reason besides MINI name that they're $850 new per side

2) Buying the OE "Blacked out" or "Black Ring" Helix Halogen Projector Housing then doing a full LED swap.

Reasoning: Affordability is very much a priority here. Only hesitation is what I've heard about the heat sinks of LED headlights that get super hot.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:25 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Don’t waste your money on an HID kit.
Hell no to the HID kit! Just posted my two options I'm considering

Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
sevin
6th Gear
I certainly understand that you want OEM quality. I buy my share of OEM parts when perhaps I don’t need to, but $1700 vs. $260 + bulbs? That’s just a no-brainer. The Helix units look OEM and I don’t doubt they will last as long as OEM. Honestly I wish could have bought Helix units for my car so I could get away from xenon, but I wanted to maintain my headlight washers and Helix doesn’t make a version with the cutouts for them.

cdemarco4 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
I certainly understand that you want OEM quality. I buy my share of OEM parts when perhaps I don’t need to, but $1700 vs. $260 + bulbs? That’s just a no-brainer. The Helix units look OEM and I don’t doubt they will last as long as OEM. Honestly I wish could have bought Helix units for my car so I could get away from xenon, but I wanted to maintain my headlight washers and Helix doesn’t make a version with the cutouts for them.
Any recommendations for LED bulbs? for projectors

Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Some people like the H7 LED Morimoto kit paired with the Helix/Depo lights.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-09-2018, 04:51 PM
1FSTREX
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cdemarco4
100% concerning this
1) Finding OEM Xenons off a "Part-Out" post in the marketplace. Replacing bulbs with TheRetrofitSource bulbs (trusted friend recommendation) + LED's High Beams

Reasoning: Just something about OEM quality and theres a reason besides MINI name that they're $850 new per side
Which Retrofit Source bulbs are you referring to?