Interior/Exterior Extra boot light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:54 PM
mtnmikev
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra boot light?

Hey all, I did some searching with no results so has anyone installed led lights overhead in the boot area? That one little light just ain't cutting it.

Thanks for any and all input.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nah, that little one is pretty useless. I'm not sure if I'd place this up top. Maybe mounting them on the side would be a better idea, keeping the headliner undisturbed?

Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Could try a led, should be a bit brighter.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:08 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i have the led sold by ecstuning.com in the boot ... it is MUCH brighter than the oem bulb and is more white than the oem bulb

actually i have the complete interior led kit from ecstuning, includes all intetior bulbs except the bulbs in the sunvisors

Old 01-03-2016, 03:34 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a R56 but I installed a second light in the boot.

The OEM light fixture is only about $10. Then I went to a junk yard and they cut the connector out of a car and I spliced that into the original light.

Attached Thumbnails Extra boot light?-photo942.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 09:36 AM
mtnmikev
1st Gear
The main problem with the stock location is that it is to low. You put some groceries or gear in there and it is blocked.
I'll post a write up on this when I have time to address it.
I like the look of having two lights but I am gong to try something higher.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Boot LED and other Ziza LEDs here. When you put the grpocey in try to put them to the left side. When you use the flat level floor and put them on the right side the stock light is blocked , The LEDs do help , have them in both my MINIs.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2011-.../Lighting/LED/

Boot LED

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM
FourOhFour
1st Gear
I installed some LED strip lights under the cargo area cover.

I got the lights from superbrightleds.com (select top-emitting strip lights, then filter by "suitable for vehicles"). You'll also need some two-conductor wire (I used 24 AWG), a DC barrel connector and socket (got those from Radio Shack), and a couple of wire taps. I like the Posi-Tap kind.

Of course, you'll need a soldering iron and the knowledge of which end to hold.

Measure out how long each section of lights should be and cut the LED strip, making sure to cut at a marked location (every 3 LEDs on the kind I got).

Link the strips together with some of your wire, + to + and - to -.

Solder a strip of wire to the end of the lights that'll be to the right once installed in the car. Unscrew the cover from the barrel connection and feed it through the wire (or be stupid like me and forget to), then solder the barrel connector on. + to tip, - to sleeve. If you're stupid like me, now's when you swear and put some heat shrink tubing on instead of desoldering and putting the cap on.

Solder some wire sufficient to reach from where you're putting the socket to the existing light to the DC socket you got. Again, + to tip and - to sleeve.

Now here's the scary part: Drill a hole in the side panel where you want the socket. Here's mine:

The material is fairly flexible, if you don't have the right drill bit I'd just go smaller, you'll probably be able to force the socket in place.

The socket will probably have a nut on it. Remove the nut, then install the socket in the hole you drilled. Remove the plastic access panel from the side panel, grab your wire and feed the nut through, then tighten it onto the socket.

Pop out the side light and feed your wire through the hole. Use the wire taps to connect this wire to the wires for the side light, + to red with purple strip, - to purple with brown stripe. Reinstall the side light.

At this point, either you'll have light or a gigantic mess. Good luck!

Before:

After:

Old 01-21-2016, 03:06 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
That's nice. It's all hidden under the cover.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Clever idea, lots of light.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM
mtnmikev
1st Gear
Originally Posted by FourOhFour
I installed some LED strip lights under the cargo area cover.

I got the lights from superbrightleds.com (select top-emitting strip lights, then filter by "suitable for vehicles"). You'll also need some two-conductor wire (I used 24 AWG), a DC barrel connector and socket (got those from Radio Shack), and a couple of wire taps. I like the Posi-Tap kind.

Of course, you'll need a soldering iron and the knowledge of which end to hold.

Measure out how long each section of lights should be and cut the LED strip, making sure to cut at a marked location (every 3 LEDs on the kind I got).

Link the strips together with some of your wire, + to + and - to -.

Solder a strip of wire to the end of the lights that'll be to the right once installed in the car. Unscrew the cover from the barrel connection and feed it through the wire (or be stupid like me and forget to), then solder the barrel connector on. + to tip, - to sleeve. If you're stupid like me, now's when you swear and put some heat shrink tubing on instead of desoldering and putting the cap on.

Solder some wire sufficient to reach from where you're putting the socket to the existing light to the DC socket you got. Again, + to tip and - to sleeve.

Now here's the scary part: Drill a hole in the side panel where you want the socket. Here's mine:

The material is fairly flexible, if you don't have the right drill bit I'd just go smaller, you'll probably be able to force the socket in place.

The socket will probably have a nut on it. Remove the nut, then install the socket in the hole you drilled. Remove the plastic access panel from the side panel, grab your wire and feed the nut through, then tighten it onto the socket.

Pop out the side light and feed your wire through the hole. Use the wire taps to connect this wire to the wires for the side light, + to red with purple strip, - to purple with brown stripe. Reinstall the side light.

At this point, either you'll have light or a gigantic mess. Good luck!

Before:

After:
Nice write up! This is what I was thinking. I don't use the boot lid so I'll need to integrate into the rear headliner.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:37 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Why would you quote the whole post? It kind of silly and clutters the thread. Pet peeve of mine, rant over.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 PM
mtnmikev
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Why would you quote the whole post? It kind of silly and clutters the thread. Pet peeve of mine, rant over.
It's the only way I can reply on my phone.