Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Stock Driving Lights or Generic Brand

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
DSA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Driving Lights or Generic Brand

I am trying to decide on spending $270.00 for OEM Mini lights or 70.00 on copies and buying mini lens caps for $10.00. My only question is will the stock ones come with a matching toggel switch to fit the blank in the middle of my toggles or can I wire it to the fog light switch

Has any one bought after market OEM's if so what comes in the kit? I hate to spend $25,000 on my EB Mini S just to cheap out on non OEM lamps ect. Your thoughts are welcomed as always.

Eric

Old 07-22-2004, 05:58 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought some PIAA 540s for $204 shipped off of ebay. I have not had time to install them, but the consensus is that they rock.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:09 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the OEM lights (really like them) but the dealers do not connect them to a toggle in your bank of toggles. That was my expectation too, but that is not how they do it. (At least not two years ago when I got mine.) Instead, they add a switch by your left leg. So... I bought the lights and installed them myself. No switch, when I turn on my brights, my driving lights turn on also.

Godspeed.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
I had same experience as Cooperbeagle last September (i.e. no toggle switch...just a push button switch below and left of the steering column), and I think that's still the way the are doing the OEM ones.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:46 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Go factory! :smile: The driving lights you can use PIAA540's and they look
just fine, but the lights that go under the turn signals....get factory ones.
The toggle sw even has a LED built-in which illuminates when lights are
turned on. Very cool.

Originally Posted by DSA
I am trying to decide on spending $270.00 for OEM Mini lights or 70.00 on copies and buying mini lens caps for $10.00. My only question is will the stock ones come with a matching toggel switch to fit the blank in the middle of my toggles or can I wire it to the fog light switch

Has any one bought after market OEM's if so what comes in the kit? I hate to spend $25,000 on my EB Mini S just to cheap out on non OEM lamps ect. Your thoughts are welcomed as always.

Eric

Old 07-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Aftermarket lights are NICER than the OEM ones, and you have a lot of options as far as the exact light you want. I'm using the PIAA 540's and they are great. If you wanted to spend the same amount of money as the expensive OEM lights, PIAA has MINI-specific installation kits and awesome lights with chrome housings like the 520's.

Also, you can upgrade the wattage of the lightbulbs because the PIAA harness is made to handle higher wattage than the 55w bulbs that come with them. I am using 85watt PIAA x-treme white bulbs in mine.

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 07-23-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:45 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Also, you can upgrade the wattage of the lightbulbs because the PIAA harness is made to handle higher wattage than the 55w bulbs that come with them. I am using 85watt PIAA x-treme white bulbs in mine.
Sweeeet. I'll have to look at adding those for my second pair.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
I'd go for the PIAA's too. I'm partial because I have them also. The guy that installed mine took the extra time to wire them so I can turn them on anytime. I believe the factory ones turn on only with the high beams.

Plus if you're interested in fog lights (which have a wide angle to them as apposed to the driving lights which is narrow) then you can pick any which one you want.

There are many choices out there to make your MINI yours!

Have fun!

-Cyn

Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM
arlequin
Neutral
Hella driving lamps for MINI

Hella offers a MINI specific kit using their FF200 driving lamp.
<www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/>
These use a unique reflector design to get more light down the road.
The size is just right and the clear lens is neat looking too.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:11 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by DSA
I hate to spend $25,000 on my EB Mini S just to cheap out on non OEM lamps ect. Your thoughts are welcomed as always.
Ah, but upon inspection and use, you will find that, in fact, the OEM lights are the "cheap out" option, at least in terms of quality. I would recommend, like others have above, the PIAA 520 SMRs in chrome. I'm on my second Mini and my second pair of these beauties. They are the real deal. The OEM lights are... not.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:16 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Here you go...

520s on ebay

Price is right and I can recommend the seller. Please ignore the hideous stone guards (and discard them immediately).

Last edited by XAlfa; 07-23-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:28 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
I thought you guys were talking about the driving lights under the turn signals..but for the one that goes on the grill, get PIAA's for sure.

I installed these last weekend. :smile: cutting the aero grill was not
too fun.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:47 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Am I too old to buy accessories?

I have a MS/S on order and want to get driving lights, and perhaps I am just an old dinosaur or something, but are these things PLASTIC? I looked at the Hella set made for the Mini and it says that they are "Chrome plated ABS," which is a fancy way to say PLASTIC.

Is the age past when you can get metal car parts? Are the stock Mini lights in a PLASTIC housing? Are the PIAA lights advertised on EBAY as "Chrome" really chrome-plated PLASTIC?

The last time I bought some Hella Driving and fog lights you could drive a truck over them they were so strong. The real glass lenses were thick and would not break. The chrome-plated metal housings were built like a tank. Are these things just gone?

Old 07-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JoeDentist
I have a MS/S on order and want to get driving lights, and perhaps I am just an old dinosaur or something, but are these things PLASTIC? I looked at the Hella set made for the Mini and it says that they are "Chrome plated ABS," which is a fancy way to say PLASTIC.

Is the age past when you can get metal car parts? Are the stock Mini lights in a PLASTIC housing? Are the PIAA lights advertised on EBAY as "Chrome" really chrome-plated PLASTIC?

The last time I bought some Hella Driving and fog lights you could drive a truck over them they were so strong. The real glass lenses were thick and would not break. The chrome-plated metal housings were built like a tank. Are these things just gone?
I have the PIAA 540's and they have a metal backing with very thick glass. The only part that is plastic are the rock covers. I'm not sure about the factory ones. But I would imagine they are similar.

Congrats on your soon to be had MINI!

-Cyn

Old 07-24-2004, 03:39 PM
rg
3rd Gear
has anyone been successful with hooking up the driving lights for the grill with the driving lights below the blinkers? in other words, flip on the toggle for the under blinker lights and the grill ones come on too. That's how i'd want mine hooked up anyway, they wouldn't do me anygood hooked up to the high beams.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:37 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rg
has anyone been successful with hooking up the driving lights for the grill with the driving lights below the blinkers? in other words, flip on the toggle for the under blinker lights and the grill ones come on too. That's how i'd want mine hooked up anyway, they wouldn't do me anygood hooked up to the high beams.
That would not be very hard. Just tap into the power of the fogs. You would just need to figure out which one is which

BTW, installed my 540s this afternoon, along with bonnet stripes. Wow, that kit is really nice. It is infinitely better than both my IPFs and KC Daylighters on the Jeeps.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:07 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Does anyone make a roof-mounted light bar yet?

Old 07-24-2004, 09:00 PM
virafp
3rd Gear
Piaa

My vote is the PIAA lights. Better quality than the factory, and they rock with the 85 watt bulb.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:18 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by JoeDentist

OEM driving light housings are indeed plastic. Both PIAA 540 and 520 have metal housings, but only the 520 is available in chrome. Also check out the Cibie Tango (40).

Old 07-25-2004, 04:16 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>OEM driving light housings are indeed plastic<<

Well, mine aren't. I just tested with a magnet, and they are all metal.

Dogspeed.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:43 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
Has anyone run into electrical problems with the PIAA lights and the MINI electrical system? I wanted to get the OEM lights for both financing and warranty, but the dealer installed price is $795. However, I have heard of people burning out their electronics with the wrong aftermarket light kit.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:01 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by CooperBeagle
>>OEM driving light housings are indeed plastic<<

Well, mine aren't. I just tested with a magnet, and they are all metal.

Dogspeed.
Sorry if this was bad information. The parts guy at my local dealer told me that the housings of the OEM lights are chromed plastic, as is much of the "chrome" on the Mini.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:05 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Has anyone run into electrical problems with the PIAA lights and the MINI electrical system? I wanted to get the OEM lights for both financing and warranty, but the dealer installed price is $795. However, I have heard of people burning out their electronics with the wrong aftermarket light kit.
I've had no problems on 2 different sets/Minis. Wiring harness for the PIAAs creates a separate circuit with it's own relay and fuse. Hard to see how it could cause problems, but I'm far from an electrical expert.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:12 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
As XAlfa mentioned, there is really nothing to the PIAA harness... The only
'encounter' you might get into is getting a shock from your 12v battery if
your hands and feet are wet when you unplug it.

Originally Posted by XAlfa
I've had no problems on 2 different sets/Minis. Wiring harness for the PIAAs creates a separate circuit with it's own relay and fuse. Hard to see how it could cause problems, but I'm far from an electrical expert.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:29 PM
DSA
3rd Gear
Hey guys what about the mounts are the OEM ones easier to install since they are made for the Mini. Or are they just about the same?

Also where can I find that awsome black bonnet grill everyone is sporting.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Stock Driving Lights or Generic Brand